Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 31 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #301
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:46 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

That's pretty fuckin cool.

$650 in 1903 (going off the years mentioned in that ad) is just under $18k today. Still pretty reasonable.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #302
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:46 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Larry, I'm gonna pick your brain again if you're looking. I know it's hot out there where you are. In your experience, what has been your best breathing helmet?

I'm slightly sketched out by the fact that I had to glue the EPS back in to my helmet after a good whack a couple months ago, but this old Sparxx lid is stuffy as hell anyway. My street lids move more air. Cut yesterday's ride short due to fogging and refusing to ride without goggles.

Edit: Disregard. Just ended up with a freebie, so it's currently the best helmet in the world Will still listen if you want to brag about your lid tho.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #303
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:46 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Larry, I'm gonna pick your brain again if you're looking. I know it's hot out there where you are. In your experience, what has been your best breathing helmet?

I'm slightly sketched out by the fact that I had to glue the EPS back in to my helmet after a good whack a couple months ago, but this old Sparxx lid is stuffy as hell anyway. My street lids move more air. Cut yesterday's ride short due to fogging and refusing to ride without goggles.

Edit: Disregard. Just ended up with a freebie, so it's currently the best helmet in the world Will still listen if you want to brag about your lid tho.
I can't honestly answer that, as I almost never go off road when it gets above 90, and rarely above 85...

In fact, I picked up/restored the street bike so I could ride in the "off" season, although it's a hot sweaty bastard riding it if I have to stop at lights when I'm geared up. I rode in shorts for the first time a few weeks ago. I was a little apprehensive, but it sure felt nice and airy on my balls.

Anyway about three weeks ago a guy I rode with out in Colorado awhile back was coming down to ride my stomping ground with his brother. Turns out their grandmother lives in the DFW area and they decided to make the most of the visit.

So I agreed to go riding with them, because it's a 2600 acre place and I know it fairly well, and I like riding with the guy. At one point we took a break in the shade, after 15 minutes I looked at the Vapor on my bike and the ambient temp read 101.

That ride was good and fucking miserable at the same time. I kept cramping up something fierce in the woods, but all the open double track stuff was tolerable. Pretty much reminded me of why I'm such a pussy when it comes to riding.

As to the helmet I bought a 6D dirt helmet after my KX tried to kill me a couple years ago, because I suffered a pretty serious concussion (wiped my memory of the day) and the 6D's are *supposed* to help prevent those.

It's a quality lid, but it's a tad heavy. It ventilates pretty well, but I'm usually far to busy trying to avoid trees and falling over to really consider how well it breaths. I will say it vents better than all of the other dirt helmets I've had, but I think all the expensive ones are supposed to do a pretty good job.

Until the wreck I always tried to get what I would call "mid grade" helmets, stuff that had a MSRP around 300-400 but you could catch the last years model on clearance for about half that. After the wreck I realized that an expensive helmet is still way, way, way, way, way fucking cheaper than an ER visit. I hope to never have to test the 6D out in a serious way, but it gives me a lot more piece of mind, and that's definitely worth the money to me.

As far as me breathing, I've found the 100% goggles to be pretty good. I had a lot of problems with the Scotts brand pinching my nose. Haven't tried Oakleys yet. The pair I have now have the "outriggers" that the strap attaches to, and that helps prevent nose pinch, so I'll continue to buy that style no matter the brand.

I've got asthma, so sometimes I also ride with a Wolfsnout mask when it's dusty, and it helps a little.

This was a bit rambly and I don't know if it helped at all. Probably not.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #304
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Man, what do you do all summer if you park the dirt bike?

The 100% goggles were the only OTG goggles I could find local. There were a set of OTG Scotts, but they felt all wrong all over. I bought an old Sparxx helmet for $50. New, but old stock. The padding went away quick and it rattles on my head now. I took a whack on a tree and thought I felt dirt in my lid. Found out it was eps foam crumbles So, while it was cheap, I guess it did it's job? Wasn't a hard hit though, tbh.

Went by the bike shop today to try on helmets. Figured I'd see what fit me and then shop for closeouts. Ended up "buying" a Fly F2 Carbon. ("buying" because not supposed to talk about the deal I got). It was the only thing that fit good other than a Leatt. Leatt is doing that small shell size for safety thing, which I get, but I think they took it too far. I don't like my chin hanging out under my helmet. massive vents on that GPX 5.5 helmet, though.

Though Fly usually strikes me as a cheap brand, the F2 Carbon apparently aced every safety rating out there. It's got vent channels above the eyeport that direct air to your goggles. I'm hoping that does the trick for me. I work outside year round and am very tolerant to weather, but ignoring heat doesn't make fogging go away. I think I handle heat well because I sweat so much. All my gear gets rotated and Lysol'd after every ride, thenit gets washed once a month- which probably isn't enough. I hope this helmet liner will hold up.

Talking about midgrade being $400. Damn. The Leatt was $450 and I thought that was top of the food chain.

Not picky about graphics and closeouts give you even less options. Couldn't do pink, so I went with this one. Not really my cup of tea, but maybe someone will spot me laying in the ditch. My wife lol'd when she saw it. I'm growing fond of it just due to it's funkyness. The helmet, not the wife..

These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #305
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Man, what do you do all summer if you park the dirt bike?
Drink beer and jerk off in the A/C???

Usually the summer is when I go through the KX and rebuild/replace everything I fucked up from October through April.

Last weekend I rebuilt the forks and front brake caliper on the KX. I still need to rebuild the front master cylinder and change the front tire before I bolt the front end together. It's just so goddamned hot in the garage...

I also plan on rebuilding the shock and rear brake caliper and rear master cylinder. I've got the parts already, but it's just so goddamned hot in the garage...

I've got the pipe off, and I started to clean it up, but I still need to hit it with a scotch brite and some WD40. It's just so goddamned hot in the garage.

When I got into my truck to leave work today, it said 111 on the display.

Have I mentioned how goddamned hot it is?

I think that's a pretty sweet looking helmet. And yes, being that Shoei's and Arai's are in the 700 dollar range, I consider the 300-400 mid range.

Again I always buy shit that's a year or two old, so my 6D helmet had a MSRP around $750, but I got it for around $400.

To put it in perspective, when I ate shit hardcore, it was a 35k ER visit and a 35k helicopter ride. 700 dollar helmet ain't shit...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 02:26 AM   #306
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Very true, $700 isn't alot in that equation. I don't have much guilt when it comes to spending money on protective gear. I'll pay up. I think that F2 may be more helmet than it's msrp suggests, though. Carbon/kevlar shell, dual density eps, right at 3lbs for a L, multiple shell sizes and DOT, Snell 2010, ECE and AS certified. Not sure what it's lacking other than a MIPS system, or something similar, but I'm on the fence with MIPS anyway. Isn't the whole theory behind why MIPS is awesome the EXACT same thing we are warned against when wearing a helmet that's too big? Haven't saw a decent explanation for that yet.

I've got a $450 pair of riding boots ( I bought them used) that are super comfy, but not nearly protective as my old Icon boots that cost half that. I've got a $150 pair of HELD gloves that use such thin leather in the palms that I fully expect my Oxford grips to chew them up in a few months. I've got a $60 BILT jacket that I've slid down the highway in twice and been thrown down on the trail countless times, and it still looks new many years later. I've got a $450 AGV helmet whose fit, finish, interior and mechanisms would be put to shame by my $99 LS2 from China. I'll admit I'm pretty impressed by a Dainese jacket I have, but the only other piece of gear that ever really impressed me equally was that humble BILT jacket. Literally a $600 jacket vs a $60.

I'm not saying that more expensive gear is a sham. Nothing wrong with dropping $700 on a helmet if that's what it takes to get a solid fit, but I've started to see value in different ways. I do think some of this stuff is horribly overpriced, but whatcha gonna do? Beats wasting money on beer and cigarettes.

Careful jerking off in the ac. You need to warm those muscles up first.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #307
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Isn't the whole theory behind why MIPS is awesome the EXACT same thing we are warned against when wearing a helmet that's too big? Haven't saw a decent explanation for that yet.
No, MIPS or ODS allow the hard shell to move slightly independent of the liner. That way you can still have a helmet that fits like it's supposed to with a liner that stays in place to absorb energy.

https://www.6dhelmets.com/innovation/

Quote:
Careful jerking off in the ac. You need to warm those muscles up first.
I'd have a stroke if I did it outside.

Seriously though, 108 in Dallas today. This is the 5 day forecast:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #308
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Only 36% humidity with a 13mph breeze??? Get outta here ya pussy

It's been cool this week. Only 85-90 degrees and humidity staying around 60-70%.

I don't know about the MIPS. The ones I've had in my hand have the MIPS slip plane in between your head and the EPS. You can see the yellow liner in between the comfort liner and the eps. Wonder what am I missing?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #309
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
I don't know about the MIPS. The ones I've had in my hand have the MIPS slip plane in between your head and the EPS. You can see the yellow liner in between the comfort liner and the eps. Wonder what am I missing?

I haven't done much research on MIPS, and what you describe sounds a bit scary.

Here is the way the 6D helmets work:

ODS
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #310
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

I'm not trying to sell you one of these helmets. If I hadn't already had a serious concussion I probably would have looked for something similar to what you bought.

Problem is, once you have one concussion, it becomes easier to have more. That's why I went with the 6D. Plus it's got titanium D rings! You know, because a D ring is where you save all the weight...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis