Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 32 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #311
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

See, that 6D system looks legit.

Bicycle helmet, but you can see it in this video. The motorcycle helmets are the same way. And I'm with you, it doesn't look right to me.

shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #312
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry02ACR View Post
I'm not trying to sell you one of these helmets. If I hadn't already had a serious concussion I probably would have looked for something similar to what you bought.

Problem is, once you have one concussion, it becomes easier to have more. That's why I went with the 6D. Plus it's got titanium D rings! You know, because a D ring is where you save all the weight...
Oh, I know you're not trying to sell me one. I asked your thoughts on helmets and that's what you gave me. The MIPS stuff never impressed me, but it's possible I just don't understand it. That ODS setup looks legit and I appreciate the heads up.

What exactly happened in this crash of yours, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #313
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
What exactly happened in this crash of yours, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't know what exactly happened. I remember very little of that day. I remember loading my bike, picking up my buddy and his bike, and getting a bacon sammich at the gas station.

The only riding memory I have is me and my bud coming up on a huge group of riders listening to Graham Jarvis. He was giving a clinic out there that day. I knew about it, but it was $550 for the clinic. Of course now I wish I'd have spent the dollars and attended...

Next memory is being strapped to a spine board and my bud's wife asking me if I wanted to sign up for a Care Flight membership, because I was about to be flown to another hospital and it would save me some money.

Near as me and my bud can piece it together, I was 5th gear pinned hauling ass through a giant pile of sand, and I hit a large rock buried in the sand with my front wheel. Then my bike got angry and tried to kill me.

I was pretty far ahead of my bud, so he didn't see it happen, when he arrived to where I was he said the bike was laying on top of me and I was out.

The wreck wiped my memory of most of that day. Funny thing is, I had my GoPro on. But the impact also wiped the card. Camera still works, but it was the same as if I had formatted the card. No footage of any of the ride for the entire day.

How bad do you have to fuck up to do that? Don't know for sure, but I did it...

Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #314
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I remember seeing those pictures before. I think I remember talking about how your forehead got gashed open through the helmet. That's scary stuff, man. And that's pretty much why I ride where I do. I drop the bike a LOT, but I'm also rarely above 3rd gear, unless cruising through a field to connect trails. 90% of my stuff is 1st and 2nd gear.

My main loop is about 2.5 miles now. Takes about 15-20 minutes to run it depending on how hard I'm pushing. I love the slow,technical aspect of riding offroad. If all I had was desert, I probably would just go do track days on a street bike.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #315
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
If all I had was desert, I probably would just go do track days on a street bike.
If all I had was desert, I'd get a KX500 or an Africa Twin.

Larry02ACR is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #316
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

That's all you need. A KX500. You learned nothing from your last diy labotomy?
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #317
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I'm digging the F2 Carbon. Super light and tons of air flow. The marketing on the goggle vents is true. It's odd to actually feel a breeze inside the goggles. Hoping dust won't be an issue and I'll have to close them off, but I rode 3hrs today with zero fogging.

p.s.- rose lens kicksass.

Actually bike related stuff...

Guy on another forum lost his sidestand on his XR4. Comon issue for guys that climb up the pegs to mount/start the bike.

Prompted me to take a look at mine.

Welded the split shut, smoothed it over and added a plate. Should be bulletproof now.

Shitty picture of the year award goes to...

Also changed the oil in the steering damper. It was starting to sound squishy. Found what look like brass chips in one corner What a fiddly little thingy this is to work with. It's back to it's former glory now

These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #318
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Super small update about the XL500, but it marks a stage of completion. Turned up a little post to weld on for mounting the rear brake reservoir. Not much to look at, but it means fab work is done. I can start blowing things apart for paint now. Which is good and bad. My projects always stall when it comes time to paint. I hate bodywork and I just want to ride right now. But I've committed to the idea of digging in and doing my best on painting this bike. It also doesn't help that I can't find any silver paint I like for the engine. Not wasting my time with rattle cans and I don't want glossy paint. I wish I knew how to get my hands on whatever Honda uses to paint their engines. I'm gonna go by the dealership tomorrow and see if some type of repair paint is available. There HAS to be a better option than spray paint or too-glossy automotive grade paint.

Ooh...

Aahhh..

Snug as a bug in a rug. Heat and rocks will never find it.

This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #319
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
That's all you need. A KX500. You learned nothing from your last diy labotomy?
When in doubt, gas it out.

I should have been going faster. That makes washboard roads smoother, should have made that hidden rock just like a pillow...
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #320
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Ha!

Learned a few things this week.
1-Pulled the liner out of my cheap Sparxx helmet and was surprised to find triple density foam in there. Granted, manufacture date was 2011, but still. That impressed me. Wonder why that company went belly up?

2- The carbon helmet has a noticeably different sound to it. When low hanging limbs would smack my lid before it gave a simple *whup* sound. Now it has a deafening sharp *CRACK* to it. Trimmed a few limbs today...

3- Gummy tires pinch-flat like a mofo at 8psi. I'd buy a mousse if they weren't so damn pricey.

Stripped the XL back down. The black on this frame is POR15. This stuff is horrible. Spent (wasted) a bunch of money on POR15's special prep and washes...it still cracks off easily. Just gonna pick up some single stage black and go to town.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis