Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 40 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #391
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:44 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

It's the nickles and dimes that really kill you on builds. Master cylinder rebuild kits, caliper rebuild kits, brake hoses, assorted bolts, filter elements, tubes/straps, carb kits cables, sprockets...should have everything needed to finish this up minus a chain & paint/decals.

Got an issue with the fuel cap that I'm not sure how to handle. The fuel cap drag on the tank. Not much point in painting the tank onlt to have the cap drag the fresh paint off. The tank really doesn't seem damaged and the gasket isn't missing. Gotta figure something out.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #392
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Stick a thicker gasket in there

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #393
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Stick a thicker gasket in there
If I use a thicker gasket the teeth wouldn't reach far enough to grab the filler neck.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #394
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Nothing special, but muffler bracket means all exhaust fab work is done.

Sorted out the tag bracket. Pretty massive looking, but not as heavy as it looks. Weighed it at 3.2 oz. Actually lighter than the plastic chunk I took off the tail light housing if you can believe that.

Will hide once it's done up in black.

Rode out to the hardware store to pick up the last of the buttonheads to finish out detailing the engine.

Cleaned an lubed the cables I'll be reusing. Almost comical how many cables this bike used in stock form.

1- Front brake
2- Rear brake
3- Clutch
4- Choke
5- Pull throttle
6- Push throttle
7- Manual decomp
8- Auto decomp

Ends up almost 30' of cable

Got to play with my EZ Bake Oven today Experimented with the "chrome" powder which, unsurprisingly, isn't chrome-like at all. But it makes for a really nice look on the levers. Looks factory fresh. Really happy with the finish on the satin black parts,too. Nice OEM look.

The gloss black parts in the back are the mounting plates for the electrical bits and the headlight/ gauge mounts. Hope to get all the wiring hung back on the bike soon.
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #395
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Kick ass

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RS_Raz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #396
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
If I use a thicker gasket the teeth wouldn't reach far enough to grab the filler neck.
Replace it with a gasket of the same thickness but higher durometer material.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #397
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Layer of clear rock chip tape around the filler. Or fix the reason it rubs...

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #398
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
Or fix the reason it rubs...
That's the only option IMO. I did figure it out, though. Yes, the gasket has gone flat,but the teeth that hold to cap to the tank is actually a spring-loaded crossbar that was frozen. Lots of fiddling has it freed up and sitting high now.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #399
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

10 hrs in the shop today and not much to show for it. Spent most of the time cleaning up the wiring harness and getting it mounted. I hate dirty wiring and getting it all clean is slow going. Had to get the airbox cleaned up and in place first. Lots of busy work with no visual impact, but getting closer all the time.

There are some lugs ont he KLR fork legs that were unused on the KLR. Never did figure them out. But they work perfect to hold the cable guide that came off the XL. Probably not really needed, but I think they look cool.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #400
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

it of a snag on throttle cables. Mine aren't fraying, but they have slight kinks from sitting motionless over the carb linkages for 20+ years. Figured I'd grab fresh cables and keep these for spares. Couldn't find any readily available anywhere, including Motion Pro's site. Shot Motion Pro an email and they said they don't have specs for these cables in their database. I would have to pay to ship my cables for them to copy, then the "custom" cables would run me $110-160 PER CABLE + more shipping of course.

Business lesson from a self employed idiot ( that's me): if you are a cable company and some random dude has generally pristine cables that you can copy and add to your arsenal of products to sell.... don't try to bend him over!

They still aren't going to have XL500S cable specs, because I know a dude in town that will whip up custom cables for around $30 each. I'm not paying Motion Pro for the privilege of giving them cables to spec out. Rant over...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis