Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 41 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #401
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:30 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

I just had them make me a custom cable and it was $58...

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #402
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
I just had them make me a custom cable and it was $58...
They just made me a custom speedo cable for the XR and it was $68, which I felt was high. $110-160 totally blew me away, though.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #403
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
They just made me a custom speedo cable for the XR and it was $68, which I felt was high. $110-160 totally blew me away, though.
Mine was a clutch cable, -9.5" for the white/silver gsxr

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #404
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
Mine was a clutch cable, -9.5" for the white/silver gsxr
They're ripping us on these customs cables. The package mine came in had a Made in China sticker on it. So it's not like they have an old hand guru whipping up cables over in Cali. They're farming that shit out to sweat shops and raking it in

Note: This is me goofing off ( factually) not being grumpy
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #405
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Ebay seat cover. For $20 there's no point in dragging out the sewing machine. There's two things that always make any bike look good: fresh tires and a nice seat cover.

Got my sprockets in. The stock image for the rear sprocket looked like this.

Wasn't crazy about that look, but was happy to see what actually showed up. The simple design suits the style of the bike much better. Never had an aluminum sprocket before. Not sure how I feel about it, but it was the only one readily available with the tooth count I wanted for this hub.

Caliper kits came in. I did up the KLR caliper without thinking about pictures, but snapped a quick one before putting the XRL caliper together.

My air filter was missing it's element ( just the wire cage left) and I ran across several posts where guys were talking about having to rig up some sort of whatever. I was kinda stressing about that, then I went looking around and it's still readily available from Honda.

Got the headlight bucket painted up after fixing a bunch of gouges. All the mounting inserts are missing so I'll have to turn those up so I can mount the bucket and get the wiring nestled in to place.

I absolutely hate spray paint, but couldn't bring myself to drag out the HVLP for this little job.

Need to measure for a chain and pick up some brake hoses. Slowly creeping up to the point where paint and bodywork is in order. I'm seriously dreading all the layers of spray paint need to be shaved off this poor thing.
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #406
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Trying to find one of these front fenders.

That was the style fender that came on '79 models. I'd like to pick up a front fender so I can get the local paint company to scan it and color match the paint for the rest of the bike. Not having any luck searching for a '79 XL500 fender. Reproduction places are only making the massive hooked over jobbies. I have seen a couple listed as XL100 or XL250 fenders. I wonder if they will work, or if they are physically smaller?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #407
AgentOrange
Aspiring Hooligan
Fighter
AgentOrange's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:30 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
AgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to allAgentOrange is a name known to all

I think the "full size" bikes use the same fender size in that design.

Do these look right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-HONDA-...AAAOSw5UVbaK-e

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-HONDA-...EAAOSwSWJXRItU

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #408
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I think the "full size" bikes use the same fender size in that design.

Do these look right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-HONDA-...AAAOSw5UVbaK-e

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-HONDA-...EAAOSwSWJXRItU
Been talking to a couple other guys about that. Haven't had much time to look in to it, but it seems like a solid option. Thanks for looking out.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #409
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Step away from the XL for a bit and show some love to the XR4. I mentioned earlier that I can fly on the little XR250 compared to the 400, but there's not a huge difference in weight. I actually weighed them myself and there's only about a 20lb difference. Admittedly, the 400 holds it weight a little higher, but damn...that torque. Even though the fork on the 250 is extremely basic ( basically a damper rod with a non-adjustable compression cartridge snuck inside) it is veeeeery plush in the woods. It doesn't take a whole lot to overwhelm it, but up untilit starts bottoming it, it's great. So I decided to dive back in the the 400 forks and really make a difference.

This is what I found. The compression valve is stoopid. It's a bending shim valve, but it's reverse bending- meaning the I.D. of the shims bend in to flow oil vs the outer lips lifting.

Oil flows through these parts left to right. Only one shim shown, but stock carries 12 shims. A popular "mod" is to remove 6 of the 12 shims and lots of guys rave about it. I did it and saw nothing. These forks are known to be harsh. Playing with the external clicker on the base valve shows zero effectiveness on the bike. Playing with the clicker with the valve in my hand I saw that the clicker valve can completely stop all oil flow. That tells me that a lack of oil flow is what's choking up the system, not just being out of adjustment. If there was adequate oil flowing through the valve and shims then the clicker would be effective.

Here's how much of the top plate the shim blocks. Keep in mind the inner portion of the shim needs to bend in, and the oil pressure being directed way towards the outer edges where it is supported by the bottom plate of the valve. This makes no sense to me. Scribed a line to show exactly where the shims sits.

I chucked the top plate up and removed some material to allow more oil flow towards the I.D. of the shim, then I drilled the oil holes slightly larger while angling the holes towards the I.D., too.

Stock vs modified

Reassembled everything (with only 4 shims)and took the bike for midnight run through a short section of trail. Is it perfect? Probably not. Was there a difference? Hell yeah! I was pretty happy with my recent tuning on the rear shock, but now all I feel is harshness out back. That tells me the forks are now soft enough that I'm noticing the shock needs more work.

I'll log some more miles tomorrow to really make a decision, but it feels like I'm on the right path.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #410
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Test ride was good, but not good enough. It shows in the right track, though. Went back in to the forks to make an adjustment and saw another oil restriction. Modifications have been made. Lunch for now, but back right and testing soon.
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis