Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 43 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #421
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:27 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

I can't remember if I shared this or not, but I followed a blog where a guy stuffed a KDX200 motor into a KX125 chassis for trail riding.

He bought ReStacker, and made and recorded changes to the forks and shocks (started as stock KX125 stuff) as he went along.

Initially he went way soft, because the MX valving was too stiff. As he made changes, it gave him more confidence to hit stuff faster, which resulted in him having to revalve it stiffer for the faster speed.

After several rounds of making changes and getting faster, he ended up with a stack that was almost exactly like the first factory stack.

Of course the factory tests stuff with riders with hella skills, so it makes a little sense in that regards.

Mostly what I took from it was, suspension settings are always evolving to your skill set. And I've got a long ways to go...
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Larry02ACR!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #422
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I believe there's a lot of truth to that. I'm sure that I'm nowhere near the perfect adjustment now, and I'll probably change something later. But for now I'm really pleased. I ran my loop three times nonstop and my hands never cramped or felt fatigued at all. Even with carrying much more speed now, I never once felt uncomfortable like I was pushing my limits or riding over my head. everything felt natural. No cramped hands or fatigued forearms is a result of being able to release my death grip on the bars now that the front end is tame. Things can only get better from here.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #423
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

XL500S post: Been thinking about the shocks and I have a hard time paying $300+ for a pair of Hagons that I can't adjust or rebuild. Not that I expect this bike to have/need premium suspension, but I do enjoy tuning suspension and getting the most out of my bikes. With that in mind I've been wondering about the "cheap Chinese" RFY shocks you see all over ebay.

For less than a third of the price( about $80-90) I can have a shock that I can work on. Maybe they aren't premium quality ( they admit to come charged with air instead of nitrogen), but revalving and charging a shock is no trouble. I see lots in the 400mm eye-to-eye +/- range that I need, but they only have about 70mm stroke.

I mean, as long as the chrome shafts don't peel...what could go wrong? It's just an aluminum body. Everything else inside can be adjusted as needed. An option I don't have with high dollar Hagons.

I need 100mm of stroke and these offer 70mm. Lots of shocks can be lengthened slightly internally. I see a pair on ebay for $63. Tempted to order them just to experiment with

A look inside the RFY's: http://chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-overview/

So there are shim stacks that can be adjusted. That's a plus. And the rebound bump stop is MASSIVE! Lots of top shelf suspension runs thick o-rings as bumpstops. I could order a slightly shorter shock than what I need- say about 380mm- and replace that very long bumpstop with an o-ring. Assuming that's about a 14mm shaft, that bumpstop would give up roughly 20mm of shaft travel. Hmm....coupled with a slimmer outer bumpstop and this isn't so far off.

Besides, you gotta admit that piggybacks just look cool
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #424
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Besides, you gotta admit that piggybacks just look cool
Good looks, practical and cheap. Hell, it's the suspension equivalent of me! I say do it.
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM   #425
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

And modest, too!
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #426
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Where reality sets in will be the machining tolerances and finish. First thing that pops to mind is the fit of the internals, esp the ID of the body and the size of the valve/bushing. A high quality shock will have a close fit with super finish, creating a very smooth action.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say the action on those won't be "as good".

But, that's not to say it won't be "good enough"?

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #427
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Good point, but pistons are just discs with holes them. I have the lathe if the pistons are junk. I figure I can't make chromed shafts or cast shock bodies. Everything else is basic. If you look at what RaceTech uses for a piston sealing ring you'd point, laugh and call it eBay junk if you didn't know better. As long as the bore the shock isn't wobbly and the shafts are straight, everything else can be massaged easily enough to warrant the cost of entry.

Saw a pair for $63/free shipping obo. I offered $50 and we'll see what happens.

Or I can get sealed, disposable Hagons for $300. For something adjustable, I can get Ohlins or Works piggybacks for $1,000+. Just doesn't add up for a guy who likes to fiddle anyway.
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #428
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you want a nice pair of shocks, they might not be it. But if you're in the market for a build-your-own shock kit, I think there's $63 worth of material here.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #429
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Had an issue with the chain hitting the case. Running the largest sprockets I can ( while keeping stock gearing) to prevent any chain drag issues on the slider. The 16T sprocket + added swingarm angle gave me this.

Chain drag is not gonna be an issue at all, but gonna need a roller to fix the other thing.

Skateboard wheel leftover from an old axle slider project, and some bearings leftover from the old hydraulic clutch conversion I built for the SOHC CB750 a few years ago.

The skateboard wheel was interesting material. Felt like hard plastic in your hands, but a little softer to dig a fingernail in to. "Machining" it peeled off material that looked,felt and moved like strips of rubber. Weird stuff. Doesn't machine very consistently, but hey, it's a chain roller- the surface finish is gonna get chewed up anyway. Couple arbors and a axle spacer to locate the bearings and pinch the inner races properly.

Bad pic, but chain clears the case nicely now.

Needed a support structure to hold up the other end of that 8mm bolt being used as the axle. I will own a mill one day, but until then I will keep making do with the trusty Sheldon and some dodgy clamping

Pretty happy with the results. Should be plenty sturdy and weighs near nothing. Surface needs cleaning up. Trip through the blasting cabinet should handle that. Need some better hardware, but I'm calling this job done.

One angled washer on the outside of the frame tab to accommodate the bend for the sidestand.

Fresh sealed beam showed up, but the trim ring needs doing up first.

Stock right hand switch was just a kill switch. Decided to pick up something smaller instead. Though I might just repurpose the horn button in to a kill switch and have one less things hanging on the bars.

Rear brake line showed up, so that's bled out and ready to rock. Musta got lucky again on the pedal because the leverage seems good. Not too stiff and not too much pedal travel.

If you ever stick a XR250 arm on a XL500S and run obtrusive homemade shock mounts, this is the brakeline you need

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #430
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Excellent work Riblets. Me likey!

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RS_Raz!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis