Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 49 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #481
bonehead
Fucking Retard
Fighter
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Nice shaving cut
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived bonehead!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #482
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah buddy, she's a keeper
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #483
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Well, that answers the oil gushing. Huge gap over the gasket to the passage feeds the output shaft bearing. I'm thinking maybe it was a gasket for a smaller cc XL? Or maybe just a poorly cut gasket? Ordered a replacement. The accel pump on the carb had dried up and gone crispy, so got a few fresh rubber parts for the carb on the way as well.

Noticed I was missing a inner fender and the intake for the airbox was very exposed. So whipped out some Kydex and made on up. There's two hooks on the frame it rests on, then a notch in the seat locks her in place. I'm glad I caught that one.

These people High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2019, 01:45 AM   #484
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

So I got the XL fired up today and the motor is great. I swear it feels quite a bit more powerful than my XR400. the bike starts great and kicks easy. It immediately settled in to a nice idle and seems to pull well at all rpms. It runs smooth and quietly and stat great hot or cold. But there are some teething issues to work out. The rear brake is dead. I don't know yet if it's a pedal leverage ratio issue or if the master cylinder is just too big. Should be easy enough to figure out. And none of the lights are coming on at all. Could be something I did wrong, but I need to see if that portion of the stator is even producing voltage.

I only rode it for a few miles around the property, but I think it's going to ride good. The ride is firmer than you'd want for a dirt bike, but that should translate to good street manners. Zipped through some ditches and the rear shocks weren't bad at first glance. The compression isn't overly stiff and the rebound is ok for a dual sport ride. The KLR fork feels MUCH better on this 125lb lighter bike and the steering feels very neutral. Actually feels like the fork wants to rebound too fast, but it's too early to tell much. I was worried about it feeling top heavy with it being raised almost 3", but it's not the case. Weaving back and forth in the grass feels very balanced and nimble.

I've got the bike geared +1 up front so it doesn't wheelie quite as easy with this longer swingarm. Instead it seems it just wants to sling roost forever. It'll still stand up in 2nd on just throttle, though. I love these old torquey thumpers This bike is gonna be fun as hell I can't wait to get it sorted out and on the road.

The muffler was very loud. It gave a very harsh bark when you rapped it. I slid out the core and the stock packing was a joke.

I re-wrapped the core with a real amount of packing, but that harsh bark was still there when you got on it. It was still too loud overall.

So I added a baffle to redirect exhaust pulses hoping to cure the loud bark. There's an aluminum disc captured between those rivets.

That quietened the bike a good amount, but that raspy bark was still there. I discovered it was the way the end cap stands off is what was creating that bark/snap sound. So I turned up a spacer that wedges between the end cap and the baffle to eliminate the gap and it smoothed the exhaust note right out. It has a deep, smooth purr at idle and just growls up a bit when you twist on it. It's not oem quiet, but not offensive. There's only so much you can mask a big bore thump anyway.

It looks much nicer with the end cap spacer in place vs the empty void it was before.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #485
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:49 AM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Excellent work.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #486
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Excellent work.
Thanks, man. Means a lot coming from a man who I'm sure would never spray paint a bike

Got the rear brake working good. MC is the right size for the XR250 caliper. The problem is a case of a used rotor running with used pads don't match up. Scrub mark through the sharpie shows how much contact I was getting.

Stuck the the rotor on the face plate and resurfaced it. It's MUCH better now, but I fresh set of pads should make a big difference, too.

I rode about 15 miles today. Planned to just go out and dial in the carburetor, but it was running great after an initial idle mixture screw adjustment. The front brakes aren't great....typical KLR 650 feel to them, but they are plenty adequate in the dirt. I may see about getting a grippier set of pads eventually. Not sure what I can do about the speedometer squealing. It only does it occasionally after getting above 15 mph, and thumping the side of it stops it until you slow down again. It was about 90 degrees and humid here today. I didn't ride any of my steep hills ( a K270 ain't no knobby), but I spent about an hour in first and second just slogging through the woods. After it got good and hot the engine would ping slightly under hard throttle at low rpms in 2nd, but I could shift back in to first and it would zip away. It may not like 87 octane in the warmer weather. Clutch slip sunder hard throttle above 3rd gear. The clutch pull is might and smooth so it;s hope it's an issue with fibers and not springs.

But all in all, this bike is great. I'm so happy I own it. The handling is VERY good for a mixmatch shot in the dark. I got lucky. The front end works beautifully. It does rebound a bit fast. I may try thicker fluid since the compression does feel a touch on the soft side through g-outs, but the steering is excellent. The added rake compared to my XR400 gives the bike a much more neutral feel to it. It's not as nervous and doesn't deflect as much as the XR. Though when it does deflect it'll jerk the bars out of your hands. HARD. It might get a stabilizer if it was destined to be a woods only bike, but it's dual sport bound.

The rear shocks are a bit stiff on compression, but the rebound feels good. I may go in to them later on and play with the shims, but I'll see how she does on the road first. For a scrambler I'm very happy with it. I'm not getting full travel with how the shocks are currently set up, but I never felt them bottom. I haven't been the slamming the bike. The bash plate isn't on ( and it's not much- there's no frame down there) and I'm still keeping an eye on my shock mounts I welded on. This is the first kinda critical aluminum thing I've welded like this, so I'll vet it out in the woods before I blast down the highway. So far, so good.

Enough talk and pics of a bike sitting in shop. That's not what bikes are for. Feels so good to ride this thing and see it living and breathing in the woods where she belongs. One afternoon of riding this thing and I already know it's a forever bike. This engine is a dream.

Still think it needs fancy paint? It took the drop well. Back tire was full of dirt and slid down in to a rut. Just need to bend the shift lever back out as it drag on the stator cover on upshifts now.

Sun started sitting and I still haven't sorted out the lights, so had to pack it in. I can't remember a more rewarding day of riding than what I had today. I hope y'all had a good time riding today as well!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #487
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Enough talk and pics of a bike sitting in shop. That's not what bikes are for.
Yup, rep for that one!

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #488
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Thanks,Mac!

Lights are up and running now! It's amazing the importance of a ground wire....

Heading out for a evening run in a bit to see just how pitiful the light output is.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #489
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Thanks, man. Means a lot coming from a man who I'm sure would never spray paint a bike
Previously spray painted my RZ350 frame with red acrylic enamel. Sprayed it outdoors. Laid down about 10 thin coats. Let it cure for a week in the summer socal sunshine. Was still perfect after 15 years of outdoor storage.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #490
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Lover
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

How much did you have to turn off the rotor to get it cleaned up?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis