Turnip's ZX6R Evo - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Turnip's ZX6R Evo

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Turnip's ZX6R Evo

After I left the Marine Corps in 2012 I was kicking around Wilmington, NC with a little bit of money and a whole lot of nothing to do, which naturally meant a fair amount of internet time-wasting, much of which was spent perusing CF, among other sites. I was a car guy, before-sacrilegious for one of Kevin Cameron's offspring, but there it is.

The problem with cars is they're big, dirty, slow, expensive-you need more of everything for a car than you do for a bike. Bigger shop facilities, twice as many tires, shocks, the whole nine. I was done with lying under a car in a parking lot trying to wrench on something six inches in front of my face and getting road dirt and rust in my eyes.

I picked up my ZX6R in late 2012, for something like $1200. It was my first street bike-I came late to the street, all of my prior experience being dirtbike hooliganism or raising hell on pit-bikes up at Loudon as a kid.

This is the only photo I have of what it looked like right after I pulled it off the back of my buddy's truck. No plastics, multiple layers of flat black rattle can that looked like someone had just emptied a case of paint in the general direction of the bike, 'Street Fighter' numberplate headlight with track lighting bulbs... the usual.

I investigated deep enough to make brakes braked, suspension suspended (ish), shifted six, had coolant/oil etc. I rode it around for a week or so just to make sure I was into this whole street bike thing. The second or third time I rode it I felt confident in opening it up a little bit and immediately realized I was going to need to budget for replacement trousers with a little more room in the front to allow for the massive moto-boner it gave me when the remains of the ram-air kicked.

I dove in and started stripping paint, cleaning stuff up, doing research and shopping for parts. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures from the build process. Rebuilt the forks, new brake pads, new fluids, hunted down the million and one things the PO had jerry-rigged to death, learned some fiberglass and painting skills and about poisoned myself to death-the M40 gas mask doesn't filter paint fumes that well.

[IMG][Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/KBBiX6u.jpg)[/IMG]

This is what I ended up with when I was done. Ish.

Black and white for extra classiness. Headlight's on in this one-hyabusa, forget which year.

Also pictured is a $1000 2000 R1 that I cleaned up and painted for my roommate after he got infected.

Butts. And roomie's ugly mug.

The bike stayed like that for a couple of years with small changes-the dual round taillights got swapped out for an integrated unit from like an '05 GSXR, little touches here and there. I moved back up to Massachusetts in 2013, which was great because the coastal areas of NC are all flat and the streets tend to be on a grid.

Vermont

The bike was off the road last year - no time, no money, not a lot of interest. I was getting a little sick of the way it looked, too-the 'busa headlight is really long, or deep, and looked unbalanced from the side, I wasn't happy with the imperfect symmetry of my fiberglass work and the hundred other things only you notice about your own shit.

This past winter, though, I started getting the itch, and pondering how much better I could do if I wasn't building things in a 1-car garage with HF tools.

So the past few months I've been doing work and spending money amassing a heap of new parts. I have to run to class, now, but I'll make a follow-up post soon with some photos of how the bike is sitting now. I'm about 70% of the way to being done with the next evolution, the days are warm and the pressure is on-every time I see a bike on the road it pushes me to DW a little faster.
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
crazyjon's
GURU
Fighterer
crazyjon's's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
crazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tyr's '95 ZX6R Evo

Nice intro!
crazyjon's is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Predator6R
ZX-6R Fighterer
Fighterer
Predator6R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Damn that paint job looks nice! Great intro with the pics. Can't wait to see more progress.
Predator6R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

So in the past three or four months I picked up some '05 636 USD forks (Three of them... one of the original pair was badly dented), same year rear swingarm and a 2009 rear shock because it's supposedly more adjustable. Snagged a headlight, some clip-ons, a ballistic supertiny battery, controls, several different sets of calipers and masters, fiberglass, resin, and about a million other things and just kept piling them up until the snow decided to leave.

Forks went on without major issues-I poked the '05 stem out of the lower triple and turned up a bushing so I could push the '95 stem in. The swingarm is almost a direct swap-had to make a small spacer, like 2.5mm. I had to cut off the battery tray support tab that sticks out of the upper shock mount to get everything copacetic up there, but I was tossing the battery tray anyway.

This is what it looks like with the '05 swinger and forks on.

I didn't feel like spending money on wheels and tires-my tires were new last season and only have a couple hundred miles on them and I decided I didn't like the way the '05 wheels looked anyway. So I had to get creative with bearing sizes because the stock front axle is 20mm and the '05 is 25mm. Got that sorted, eventually, and got the front wheel centered between the forks to within about five thou or so. Similar bearing fuckery was required in the rear, naturally.

I got really pissed off while centering the rear wheel, wasn't getting consistent measurements with the straight edge method so I built a little laser tool to take care of it-just an aluminum plate that clamps across the wheel lip coupled up with a laser pointer on an adjustable mount. That took care of that. Buncha fucking around with verniers and a blown drive belt on the lathe later I had spacers.

I looked at the rear caliper bracket and decided it didn't have enough meat to it to bore the axle hole out to 25mm, so I grabbed another piece of plate and lubed up the bridgeport. Three days and several rounds of swearing at a rotary table later and I had a bracket that worked AND didn't look completely awful.

Photos of caliper mount in progress.

Whoa it fits. Measuring works.

Caliper mounts from '95 and an '02

Cutto, cutto!

Today I gotta finish bleeding the brakes (actually had the fronts done painlessly in ten minutes, then realized I had the banjos on out of order and backwards when I started fitting them to the bike so I had to let a bunch of air in, left them ziptied and hanging last night.)
Get those bolted up front and rear (speaking of which, need to turn up four spacers to kick the rearsets out a quarter inch or so to clear the swingarm)

If I get real squirrelly I'll start poking around with making a headlight mount. Goal is to have the thing technically road legal (Lights, horn, brakes, drives etc) within the next week. That way I can zip around on it while I'm working the fiberglass.
These people High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Pay no attention to the Rastafarian tablesaw
These people High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Oh yeah, I also picked up a G-model parts bike. Judging by the damage it got endo'd real good-like. There's a tiny crack on the top of the left spar and the lower left subframe mount is gone. Depending on the vagaries of the Vermont DMV I may switch to the G frame once it's fixed. If not I may just chop the subframe off the F and weld on some tabs.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Well, I got everything associated with the *front end installed and torqued down today other than the left-hand bar control bloc and I still haven't started messing with the headlight. Brakes are on and bled, and I remembered I need to order some rearsets because one of my originals is cracked at the bottom. Not sure whether I'm going to buy something or go back to the milling machine.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flip Offs: 308
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfin View Post
Not sure whether I'm going to buy something or go back to the milling machine.

Milling machine, duh!

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Couple pictures from last night before the brakes were on. The tank is just sitting there so I could see how it looks.

This user High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #10
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

I really like how the newer rear arm beefs up the look of the rear end. I think the shape works pretty well with the tank. Making me think the new tail is gonna be really short and chunky.

The only problem is the chain side of the arm looks just like a simple F model swingarm with a square tubular brace. I'm thinking I may make a small fiberglass chain guard/cowl that mimics the shape of the right side.

I've been looking at mufflers and shit-I'm thinking dual cans under the tail, relatively small diameter. Shit is stupid expensive for what you get in my opinion. I may look at fabricating something-a packed/baffled muffler is pretty simple.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes