Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 10 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 02:45 AM   #91
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

That looks like a positive voltage regulator but I'm not seeing a rectifier so it might well be you got a DC dynamo rather than an alternator.

Do you see markings on it like NTE 931 or sth like that?

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #92
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOME®

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

So what parts do you "need" then Dean? It's not like we all aren't sitting on a bunch of misc parts. I know I am
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #93
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
That looks like a positive voltage regulator but I'm not seeing a rectifier so it might well be you got a DC dynamo rather than an alternator.

I can post the suzuki part number in a bit. Other than that I'd have to clean it up further and try to see whats under the paint to see if there are any additional markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
So what parts do you "need" then Dean? It's not like we all aren't sitting on a bunch of misc parts. I know I am
rear axle spacer (between drum and swingarm) for a kz. Here's the kicker. I don't know the year or size of kz that the arm and wheel are off off. Ill measure the gap and post it.

end seals and/or washers for the swingarm (at the pivot bolt)
kick stand and spring

bushings for the shocks to properly fit the KZ frame and swingarm (posts on the Magna were larger, need to make new metal bushings to go in the rubber bushings and sit to the KZ without slop) - these will need to be custom. I'll get dimensions later today hopefully.

front brake calipers, lines, and master for 82 GS850. The '80 GS1000 that I pulled the calipers off of had the wheel mounted to the front of the fork instead of the bottom. The brackets on the 1k calipers don't line up on the 850 forks.

throttle assembly

handlebars - I know what I want, but at this point I'll take any bars that aren't bent up, can always change it later

tank - I've got my old Fat Bob tanks back from Rat, but they're just as funky as they were before. The one side needs an entire section welded in. Might be easier to just find a new pair

seat - anything really. full KZ seat, cut down KZ seat, random Harley seat. Don't matter. Something to bolt in or reshape.

rear fender - I can prolly find something suitable local. I wasn't looking for rear fenders when I was at the yard, but looking back I'm pretty sure there was a fender or 3 that would have worked, so not really counting this as a need.

chain - not even close to ready for chain yet, but it's a future need. I think rat said the existing chain hanging off the 400 was 520 chain. Not sure what the sprocket on the back wheel is, but the rear sprocket is on my list of maintenance items anyway.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Fight Everything!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #94
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I have almost all of that, including the sealed GS brake system for that front end. Make a trip over again and I'll send you home with almost everything on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #95
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

No need for suzuki part numbers, I just found the wiring diagram a few pages back. It clearly says dynamo not alternator, and the wiring is a dead giveaway too. How well does the thing regulate can pretty much only be determined for sure with a multimeter and a running engine. The bummer part of those dynamos is they usually put out fairly modest currents, like about 100w worth or so which makes about 8-ish amps at 12v.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #96
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
I have almost all of that, including the sealed GS brake system for that front end. Make a trip over again and I'll send you home with almost everything on that list.
I was really hoping that axle that I bought had the right spacers. I'm willing to bet if I slot the disc brake rear together, its all there perfectly.

As for the rest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you load my car with everything above lol.

I was largely putting together a list so I have a progress checklist. It's cool to see everything coming together. I'm gonna take another trip to the yard, prolly this weekend, and see if I come up with anything else. Still need the horns from a Buick or Caddy, and I need parts for the womans car anyway.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #97
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
No need for suzuki part numbers, I just found the wiring diagram a few pages back. It clearly says dynamo not alternator, and the wiring is a dead giveaway too. How well does the thing regulate can pretty much only be determined for sure with a multimeter and a running engine. The bummer part of those dynamos is they usually put out fairly modest currents, like about 100w worth or so which makes about 8-ish amps at 12v.
Worst case scenario, I run the lights off a battery. The 18650 cells pack a hell of a punch, and I'm not really intending to do a lot of night riding anyway.

Hmm....wonder if its possible to convert it to a more modern charging system at all.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #98
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:

suzuki number at top 3250027600
another number below it 126900-0011
another box says 6v and another box says 3t

Guess it's only 6v output. Battery packs it is!

So heres the fun part. Do I make a custom pack, or just order some trays to hold 18650 cells?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #99
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight Everything View Post
I was really hoping that axle that I bought had the right spacers. I'm willing to bet if I slot the disc brake rear together, its all there perfectly.

As for the rest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you load my car with everything above lol.

I was largely putting together a list so I have a progress checklist. It's cool to see everything coming together. I'm gonna take another trip to the yard, prolly this weekend, and see if I come up with anything else. Still need the horns from a Buick or Caddy, and I need parts for the womans car anyway.
If you run in to dead ends on axle spacers just holler at me. A few aluminum spacers in the mail is only a few bucks. I'd hate to see your get stalled over something this small.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #100
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
If you run in to dead ends on axle spacers just holler at me. A few aluminum spacers in the mail is only a few bucks. I'd hate to see your get stalled over something this small.
Much appreciated! Odds are I'll just cut down the spacer I have. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure the spacer set I have is for the disc brake set, and I'm using the drum brake setup instead.

I'm already at a temporary standstill until end of month. AllBalls is out of stock on one of the steering bearings I need, wont be back in stock until end of month. Pretty much all I can do until then is clean up my parts, work on the front wheel fitment (figure out why it rolls so tight), and wait. Its all good!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes