Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 12 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #111
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
That's some oldschool steering lock there.

Those gauges are super clean. Rare to find them in that good of condition.
I'm probably gonna cut the steering lock off. No need for it. If someone wants to steal my bike, they're gonna steal it. Steering lock isn't gonna do anything about it.

Which set? The reason I'm pulling the gauges apart is because I'm planning to mount them between the tanks instead of on the bars. I'm intending for the entire build to be pretty basic and clean.

I /might/ have an answer to the charging system. Further details later if it pans out.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #112
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Steering bearings and carb oring on order. I also need to double check the connections on the motor, but I'll probably be ordering a set of weatherpack terminals to redo the connections for the CDI, coil, and kill wire.

Gonna have to go through my bin of car harnesses, start picking out runs of wire. Can't do much else, but I can start building the harness
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #113
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

I can't wait to ride again.......

Also....pbucket working again?

EDIT: Not everything. Odd that that one made it through....

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #114
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Those gauges are super clean. Rare to find them in that good of condition.

I wish they were worth as much as the rarity would usually entail. I've literally got boxes upon boxes of older hard to find parts that I have found I can barely give away. Funny that both sets of gauges came off extremely rough looking bikes, but happened to be in better condition than most newer bikes gauges (including the sun faded faces on my '07 Kawasaki).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #115
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Took it apart, took the frame to the car wash and blasted off everything I could, but theres still sections that will require some serious hard scrubbing.

Came home, got work a little bit. Got the old bearing cut off the stem, installed the new bearing, with a new washer....just to realize how bad I fucked up because the new washer is fatter than the old washer, and I now have ZERO threads available above the top bearing and it's seal. FUCK.

Now to try to remove this washer without fucking up the bearing. I dont wanna drop another 30 bucks for a bearing.....

Beyond that, sat the frame down, set the motor in, talked with Rat about where to mount it. I'm gonna have a lot of space available in front of the motor, but thats cool. The Harley tanks fit to the frame where I want them, with a fair amount of space around the top of the motor. WOOHOO!!! On Rat's suggestion I'll mount the battery between the tanks as high as I can to keep it out of sight. No pictures of the tank position yet, but I'm gonna work on that this weekend.

The motor mounting won't be too bad actually. The lower rear mount on the case can mate to the lower rear mount on the frame, I'll just have to make some A frame brackets for the upper rear mounts, and some more to tie the upper and lower front mounts to the lower front mount on the frame. I figure 3 mount points will be sufficient for a 400cc engine.

Only downside is I'll need a shaft extension for the kickstart shaft. The shaft has room to pivot, but the collar that holds the kickarm will end up hitting the frame, and the kick arm itself will hit the rearset mounts. I'll be removing the rearset mounts anyway, since it's a solo seater. The mounts just unbolt out of the frame.

This is progress! But FUCK, I was hoping to have the front end completely bolted back together......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-22 17.57.43.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	97914   Click image for larger version

Name:	1506117077284.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	97922   Click image for larger version

Name:	1506119567232.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	97930   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-22 17.20.14.png
Views:	17
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	97938  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 01:55 AM   #116
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:20 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Man, that shaft extension kinda skeeves me out. I don't know how hard those motors are to kick, but extension in that area just seem like bad juju...
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 02:06 AM   #117
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

That extension is an example. I want to see if I can find one that I could slot into a bracket, support it with a bushing or bearing. That was just the first one I found on image search. If I can't find one, I'll see if I can have my machinist can make something. Not sure if he has the stuff to cut internal or external splines though. But I'm also not worried about external splines, just the internal. We can square drive the end and make a custom kick arm.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #118
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Supporting it sounds like you mention sounds like a great idea
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #119
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Plenty of meat at that frame junction. Definitely make a bearing carrier type support for that thing
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #120
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Supporting it sounds like you mention sounds like a great idea
Why the fuck can't I type readable shit anymore? Fuck
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes