Gixooligan's "Couldn't Resist" Virago Cafe - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Gixooligan's "Couldn't Resist" Virago Cafe

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #1
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gixooligan's "Couldn't Resist" Virago Cafe

Hey guys,

I've been a member since '08, but I've never participated in a Build-off. I picked up the my '84 Yamaha Virago XV700 back in August, but outside of getting the thing home and stripping it, I haven't actually done much work to the thing.

Well, here's my chance. I've been amassing parts for the last few months, and I'm about ready to start doing real work on her.

If you want to check out my original thread, you can do so right here.

Thus far, I have disassembled the bike, thrown away all of the stupid stock crap, rebuilt the carb (just one, that's all I need), cut off the old sub-frame, and mocked up the parts I've gotten to date.

Here's where we are sitting as of today:

I bought myself the cheapo 125 flux welder from Harbor Freight. I've been wanting one for a while, and figured this would be a good jumping-off point before getting a nice one.

Today's project. I wanted to get the new sub-frame welded in place. I haven't welded in about 10 years, so please forgive the garbage welds. Penetration looks pretty good though, so I'm not mad. Ground them down a bit and they look pretty decent. Since it's non-structural, I'm not worried.

All welded up. I also notched the sub-frame about 6" back and bent them inwards toward the frame, then welded the notches back up.

That's it for now. I have more 7/8 steel coming, and tube for the tank mounts, so hopefully I'll be getting some more welding in over Thanksgiving.
Gixooligan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Gixooligan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gixooligan's "Couldn't Resist" Virago Cafe

Here's our current parts list and costs. I'll keep this updated as things move forward:

I have a few items on the list that I'll be picking up mid-month:
* R1 Forks - Bought, 2001 $200
* Cognito Moto fork conversion stem - Bought $196
* Cognito Moto top triple clamp - Bought $159
* Single-carb conversion - $195
* Clip-ons - Bought with Biltwell grips $60
* 7" LED headlight and bucket - $45 headlight, $19.11 headlight mounts
* Some gauge solution (looking at TrailTech)
* Generic cafe fuel tank - $119
* R1 front brakes rotors and calipers - Rotors $55.49
* R1 hand controls - $44 (won't work, DBW. Doh). Universal aluminum controls - $10
* Universal LH/RH levers - $18.08
* Cafe seat unit - Generic hump seat, $47
* Integrated tail lights - $6.39 Cheapo integrated LED strip
* Custom rearsets
* Rebuilt RFY dual shocks
* Exhaust (still unsure)
* Tires
* Replacement ignition cylinder - $28.95

Engine:
* 6205 cam bearings - $10.18

Other things:
* Press the stem out of the lower triple
* Adapt front axle to work with R1 forks
* Build sub-frame - DONE
* Powdercoat all of the things

Total cost so far (including bike): $1683.20

Doubtless there are items I'm forgetting there, but those are the big ones. Tomorrow's project is to cut the frame, get it ready for for the hoop, and get my neighbor with the welder to help me put everything back together. Here we go!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Not much progress yet; still waiting for parts to come in. Unfortunately the steel that I ordered to finish the frame over Thanksgiving vacation didn't come in, so that slowed me up.

However, I did start a little work on the wiring harness in the meantime; I removed the last of the old wrapping tape from it, and re-organized things a bit. Then I drilled an tapped mounting brackets which run along the spine of the frame. There is about 3/4" of clearance between the frame and the tunnel on the tank, so space isn't an issue.

Next step on wiring is to fix the (several) broken connections on the harness, change out the old/ratty connectors for new ones, and wrap the whole thing back up. Fortunately this harness is so simple that I don't think tucking it will pose much of a problem, so routing should be easy *knock on wood*.

With any luck my steel tube, hand controls, and maybe my top triple clamp should be in this week.

'Til next time!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Lil' bit of progress this weekend. Went through and added new connectors to the tail end of the electronics. I've gotten all of the electronics at the back of the bike more-or-less figured out. However, the front is still a mystery; the harness got pretty mangled in the wreck, and without having a good wiring harness I'm going to be in for a lot of trial-and-error on this.

I also (finally!) got the rear sub-frame hoop finished up. Also, your eyes aren't deceiving you in the first image; the RH bridge was way off where it connects to the frame. I did re-cut that an it fits tightly now:

My welds are still crap, so here's the whole thing ground down:

Still waiting on a little steel to weld in the tank mounting points. I also need to put in a box for the electronic beneath the seat. With any luck I'll be getting to those next week.

Cheers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Got some time to work on the bike this weekend! The goal was to get the tank mounts finished up. First, I added the front slip-in mounts (again, please forgive the welds):

Then, cut a piece of steel for the mounting bracket, and welded it to the subframe:

And then decided that the simplest mount solution was to weld a bolt to the bracket, and space it with nuts and a rubber grommet:

Seems to work well. The tank is solid, and there's ample room for the wiring harness beneath it.

Next steps; I still need to get the triple stem pushed out, and I'd like to get the electronics tray finished up. Also, I have the single carb conversion kit on the way.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

...and, I'm back!

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I've found myself sidetracked finishing my unofficial 'man cave' (my basement), over the last several months. Combined with the sub -20F weather we've been having, I haven't had any motivation to be out in the [un-insulated] garage. This winter has been the coldest on record in Montana for decades, and that's saying something.

Still, there is has been some movement. First step was getting the front-end on the bike. I got the Cognito Moto top yoke and stem, which both worked perfectly. Couple that with some inexpensive metal switches, clip-ons, and Biltwell grips.

And FINALLY after months of waiting I got my single carb conversion kit. Once the bike is solidly standing on it's own two feet, the next step is to get the carb mounted, and do what needs to be done to get this bad boy fired up.

And today I took her off of the egg crate. It' still super unstable; I don't yet have the front axle finalized, but I wanted to see how it sits so that I could figure out how long the rear shocks should be.

It's hard to see, but the bike is still slightly racked backwards, so I think I'll be getting 320mm rear shocks. This is good, because that rear hoop is too close to the rear tire for comfort. Also, the front tire is pretty close to the engine block, but the forks do require a re-valving, so my hope is that in doing so it'll raise them back up a bit.

Next steps: 1.) Figure out the front axle/hub. 2.) Purchase the rear shocks. 3.) Wire the forward controls into the main harness.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Incremental progress has been made.

I've installed the carb on the bike. Fits pretty well. The adapter isn't pretty, but I'm thinking with a little sanding it'll clean up okay.

The wiring has been kind of a bitch. I have the front controls more-or-less adapted for the harness now. I'm still tracing a few stragglers. It's been tough finding time to get this wrapped up:

RIght now the goal is to finish up the harness, check the oil lines, install the new cam bearings, then rig up a temporary fuel can and try to start this thing. It'd be nice to know if she'll fire up before going much further.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
rabies
time is running out......

Senior Fighterer
rabies's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flip Offs: 1,393
Flipped Off 39 Times in 35 Posts
rabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to beholdrabies is a splendid one to behold

pretty good welds for a crappy welder. I had like 4 of them. ..about to buy another :/

I like the forks and old school tires.
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads