Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread

No imagination, just used the title from the previous build thread. But sadly, there's not been much building going on with this bike. Was talking to Zwiehammer and I agree with him- if I like seeing these builds I should participate myself.

As the bike stands the F3 forks are slid in to the stock trees that a buddy bored for me, and the F3 arm is hanging on the stock pivot bolt. I've never heard the engine run, but it had good compression. I may or may not have to replace the exhaust cam due to poor storage (rust). First job will be to get the s-arm and rear wheel located on the bike and build mounting points for the mono shock and it's linkage to work from.

Paid $400 for the bike and have about $250 in all the F3 bits so far. I'll try to keep a tally on the bottom of each post. Off to a great start with blurry pics

Current tally- $650
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread

Turned up a couple spacers to fit the swingarm. I wanted to see if it was possible to leave the F3 rear wheel and swingarm attached with stock wheel spacers, so I ignored chain run and just shot for centering the wheel. Luckily enough, it required a 0.245" spacer on each side. Didn't expect that.

With the arm and wheel situated I looked at chain run and it wasn't far off.

Good ol' factory offset on the rear sprocket was enough to do the trick. Couldn't be any easier and I don't have to modify any OEM parts. Makes replacing parts in the future easier if needed, so I'm very happy.

On the money.

Turned up a little temporary spacer so I could clamp the knuckle in position solid. Helps hold everything stationary while I sort out all the angles and mounting points. Visible on the left side. Beats the hell outta duct tape

Got the knuckle angle set and pinched down, then adjusted the shock angle. It's sits out past the frame a touch, but not too bad. I'd like for it to set back further to hide behind the side covers, but I don't think this small amount will be an eyesore.

Took a few minutes to look at mounting the electrics above the shock and I think it'll be fine. Really only a reg/rec, turn signal flasher and a battery going in there. I'll need to sort out some sort of undertray, but that can wait. Got material on hand to build the suspension mounts. Gotta brush up on my toob notching skills.

Wiring the bike was gonna be dead simple since I was gonna reuse the stock clocks, but they are in worse shape than I remember. The hole in the back can be sealed easy enough, but I'm not sure about repairing that screen. It's not just a flat plate, it's a formed piece the wraps all the way back to the base of the dash. Bummer. The gauges underneath are pristine. Not a bit of fading at all.

These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Good to see this going .

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
The Following 2 Users Say F-U to ROBBO For This Post:
Cookie2000ad (01-21-2019), ROBBO (11-25-2018)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

How bad is the EX cam? got any piocs?

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
The Following User Says F-U to ROBBO For This Post:
ROBBO (11-25-2018)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

^^^ Look at this noob posting in the build off thread

JK, Robbo. The cam isn't horrible, but I haven't inspected it really close. I'll snap some pics in a bit.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Spent way too long notching a tube for the upper shock mount, but I did manage to get it done in one attempt. Made up the tab mounts and turned up a couple spacers to give clearance to the shock body. Not sure how I feel about using a longer bolt now, but this keeps the tab shorter and tucked away better. When everything's done I'll go back and shave 5 thou off each spacer to they won't be wedged in there.

Started cleaning up this disaster zone. I don't know what happens to these old CB's but the centerstand mounts are almost always mangled.

Wasn't sure exactly what I was working with on this crossmember, so I popped a hole to check wall thickness. The tubing itself is actually plenty heavy, it's just the shitty attachment points to the main hoop that worry me. I can fix that.

Double checked all my measurements, whipped up some tab mounts for the dogbone and tacked them on.

With everything tacked in place I slid the spring off the shock to check clearances throughout the wheel travel. Everything looks good.

Overall wheel travel showed 4 1/8", or 4.125. Honda says rear wheel travel for a '98 CBR600 F3 is 4.29". I can't full compress the bumpstop by hand to achieve full travel, but I'm call this good. IMO, this tells me that I got all the mounting points, linkage angles and ratios correct. Well, I may not be 100% correct, but maybe 98%? Good enough for me.

Now just need to go back in and reinforce everything. But I'm calling this F3 conversion a success.

Previous tally - $650
Materials used - leftover roll cage tubing and floor plates - $0
Current tally- $650
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #7
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Sat the bike on it's wheels to double check everything before going any further. Happy with the stance and ground clearance. Nothing's changed since mockup.

7" to the sump drain and 9.25" to the frame rails.

Rake sharpened up a bit to 900F specs, which the internet says steers a little quicker then the 1100. I'll take their word on that.

Bike looks happy on it's sidestand. Pretty sure I'm looking at stock ride height/ ground clearance at this point. This makes me very happy.

Wanted to sit on the bike to start figuring out what bars to use and the mockup for some rearsets. Turns out the stock footpeg location feels perfect for me in conjunction with the stock bars off my FZ07. I wanted to eliminate the massive aluminum slabs that are the stock foot controls, but I'm leaning towards keeping them now. The more I look at them the more I like them. I want to keep passenger pegs, too.

Satisfied that I don't need to rip last night's work apart I dug in to mounting the electrics. Made up a crude battery box that still needs lots of dressing up, but thing's are looking good. Plenty of room to fit everything behind the side covers.

Clutch side. Trimmed the inner fender to clear the F3 stuff and kept the pocket for the breather tank, fortunately. Plenty of room to mount the spark units above the reg/rec and to route the stock wiring harness in to position.

I feel like this breather tank for the crankcase is unnecessarily large, but I'll do some research. Maybe these motors will slobber all over the place with out it. I'm hoping to keep this pocket open for storage. Papers, a few straps and a tire plug kit.

Lost the picture of the battery box on the throttle side, but you can see there's good room for a fullsized battery in there behind the sidecover.

Same for the other side.

Everythng's been easier than expected so far.

Hope to get the battery box finished mounted tomorrow and get the other electrics mounted to it. Then I'll start reinforcing the rear suspension attachments. Since it looks like I won't be spending on rearsets I am considering a Magura Hymec for this bike. I'll wait to see how the engine goes before I blow the budget on that, though.

Huge oversight on my part: totally ignored the fact that I have no speedo drive with the F3 front wheel. That kinda puts a kink in using the stock clocks

Previous tally - $650
Today's parts - random scrap steel and leftover handlebars- $0
Current tally - $650
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Battery box/ electrics plate is built, but needs more finishing. Everything fits with room to spare and the stock wiring harness reaches nicely. No need to cut any wires makes me happy. The slightly longer wheelbase had the tire a bit close to the rear mudguard. Always thought those were too dang long, so gave it a quick chop. I'll cut it neatly up to the base of the tag later on. I know it's ugly for now. It all fit easily, though. I'm happy.

Next target is to sort out the rear master cylinder and mount the shock reservoir. Need to sort out some hidden luggage mounting point and then I guess it's on to building pipes. However, I do have a nice set of stock 4-2 pipes off my old 750 here. I wonder if the 1100 will breathe through them ok? I liked the sound and midrange the 4-2 gave me before, and they extra ground clearance. 4-1's drag too easily in the curves. Pipes hit before the pegs do

Ordered a starter solenoid and a shift lever I'm missing. Also ordered a rear master cylinder and al the kits to freshen up all the calipers and master cylinders. Today's order was $135

Previous tally - $650
Stuff ordered - $135
Current tally - $785
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #9
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Came in this evening and the AGM battery had leaked acid on to the swingarm. No big deal as it needs repainted, but kinda killed my faith in laying an AGM battery on it's side in that tray. It's an old battery. Will age do that to them?

Footpegs are getting revisited. After a quick lap on my Yamaha I came directly in and sat on this bike. Feet too far forward. Took some measurements off the FZ to compare peg location and realized those rearsets would actually fit nicely, so yanked them off and did a quick mockup. Shooting for recreating the FZ ergos and am very happy with the results. Also the anti-vibe nature of them is what I wanted. Chatting with a guy on a FZ07 forum and he needs some powdercoating done. Gonna trade work for his stock rearsets, so it'll basically be free to me.

Gotta an idea for passenger pegs, but we'll see how that goes.

Lies. Lies, I tell you. Let's grind that off.

Cleaned the frame off to fiddle with rearsets and have no idea why Honda put that dimple in there.

Heel plate mount is the master cylinder mount. Hoping I get lucky and can reattach the CRF450 master cylinder I ordered on this same spot. Fingers crossed for pure luck.

Stuck the fairing on for a look and don't dig it. So I lowered it as far as possible and it was better, but still didn't like. Plan B on all that. Most likely get a 6" round and a Trailtech unit. Original, I know.

Downside is ditching the fairing will complicate wiring and I'll need to buy a headlight and gauge now, but upside is it knocks 10lbs off the bike. Another 4lbs saved using the rearsets. Quite happy about that.

Boring updates, I know. But it keeps me motivated.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Front fender mounts are done. Nothing fancy or elaborate, but they are light and strong. Really wanted to reuse the stock fender ( I like the little spoiler ) and am happy the arch fits the 17" pretty well. Thought I was gonna have to rework this fender, but I'm happy enough with it that it'll ride like it is.

Still needs finishing, of course.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads