RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller - Page 11 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #101
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:15 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

I haven't seen a lot of mods to strengthen the RZV frame, but I've seen a few.

First, I'd like to weld 1" x 1" x 1/8" wall thickness square tubing onto the upper frame tubes, which are 2" x 1" square tubing.

I'm having difficulty finding the 1" x 1" x 1/8" wall square tubing with ROUNDED CORNERS. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Second issue is bending the tubing into the same shape as the frame. I have some ideas, but will wait to see if the aluminum tubing can be found.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #102
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:15 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

I'm not sure how much of a help this will be, but Bay Extrusions has (or had) a die for many sizes of square and rectangular tubing including many with round corners. Looks like they have a die for 1" x 1" x .125" wall x .188" corner radii. http://www.bayext.com/shapes/shape5a.htm

If they still have the die available, they will likely want you to run a 500# minimum order. Most foundries require 1000# minimums, and if they still have the die you save that cost.

In my years of making motorcycle frames I have never seen any AL tubing off-the-self with round corners so this might be your best bet.
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived make that thing forkless!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #103
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by make that thing forkless View Post
In my years of making motorcycle frames I have never seen any AL tubing off-the-self with round corners
Thanks for breaking it to me. Your info is always helpful. (I was going to ask you about my plans for bending the aluminum.)

Another idea is to machine the corners round. On structural type aluminum tubing, usually the inside of the corners are rounded and the outsides are square. I wonder how much radius could be machined without reducing the wall thickness very much. Maybe I could use a wall thickness greater than 1/8" - even though I don't want to.

Machining costs could be high, as well.

Not giving up on this plan, yet!
This user High Fived Smoker!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #104
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Okay, wait - just found this!

This is probably custom made, like forkless is saying, but maybe there's hope. Says they have a "comprehensive inventory" and there's a part number.

http://eagle-aluminum.com/shop/tubin...adius-corners/
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #105
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

It says "Stocked in 24′ lengths" so maybe it is ready to go!

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #106
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Kinda odd that they manufacture aluminum extrusions, but no where (that I can find) do they mention what alloy(s) they use.

As for bending, for my swingarms I've made custom dies to pre-dimple the inside of the bends, then bend in a form fixture using a press. For 1" square you might be able to get bending dies from Pro Tools depending on what CLR is needed to match the frame. I think 6"CLR is their largest radius for 1" square.

Just found this...http://www.8020.net/Quick-Frame-4.asp Look at #9000
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived make that thing forkless!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #107
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Kinda odd that they manufacture aluminum extrusions, but no where (that I can find) do they mention what alloy(s) they use.

As for bending, for my swingarms I've made custom dies to pre-dimple the inside of the bends, then bend in a form fixture using a press. For 1" square you might be able to get bending dies from Pro Tools depending on what CLR is needed to match the frame. I think 6"CLR is their largest radius for 1" square.

Just found this...http://www.8020.net/Quick-Frame-4.asp Look at #9000
I don't think there's any way I'll be able to bend the tubing properly. I need a pro for this.

It's been done before... I know it's possible!

That aluminum is .060" on the wall thickness. Looking for closer to .125". Also looking for unanodized stock.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #108
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
I'll try to figure out the radius on the OEM frame tubes.

Do you modify existing dies, or do you make from scratch?

Hope I don't need a custom die for 1 bend on 2 tubes. The machine shop I use could probably make one, though.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #109
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I don't think there's any way I'll be able to bend the tubing properly. I need a pro for this.

It's been done before... I know it's possible!

That aluminum is .060" on the wall thickness. Looking for closer to .125". Also looking for unanodized stock.
There are specialty bending shops that can bend just about any tubing with good results... of course cost can get very high. For 1" x 1" square should be very simple and not very expensive as that is a very common size.

Getting the anodize off is as easy as putting it on... just take to an anodize shop and tell them you want it stripped. This is very easy for them to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I'll try to figure out the radius on the OEM frame tubes.

Do you modify existing dies, or do you make from scratch?

Hope I don't need a custom die for 1 bend on 2 tubes. The machine shop I use could probably make one, though.
My swingarms are made from a custom extrusion with a very unique profile, so I've had to make my own bending dies. They are also very thin (relative to the profile size) thus require the dimpling on the inside of the bend to control the crush.

Anyway, bending the 1 by 1 should be simple to do.
This user High Fived make that thing forkless!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #110
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Inspiration to modify my frame came from a Spondon RZ500 frame.

These people High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes