RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

I've got some nice parts for the roller, but they're boxed up - waiting for the frame to be ready. The hold up at the moment is the rear suspension linkage.

Night before last, I heard about a group buy on a good shock for this bike - which I need for the roller. Problem is it has to be ordered by tomorrow or the next day to save the 15%. So, I'm scrambling to figure out what I need.

The shock is a Wilbers, made in Germany, built to my specs. That's the problem. I'm going to do an '06 R6 swingarm swap and from what I've read - the ride height needs to be increased. Going from a 16 inch front and 18 inch rear wheels to 17s is probably the reason.

So, I'm going to order the shock at the OEM length with the height adjuster at the minimum. Then it can be adjusted up 10mm. That way, if I have to sell it - the buyer can use it with a stock bike.

Mounting the shock reservoir sucks on this bike! Tried for hours to figure out a better place to mount it, but it has to hang on the front of the engine. Wilbers also has a remote hydraulic preload adjuster for the shock - but there is NO PLACE to mount it.

I saw this Wilbers that's all blacked out with a custom color spring. I'll find out if I can get that from the factory. The in-line compression adjuster is cool, too.

Hope it works out!
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
powdr7
Fighter
Local Time: 08:06 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
powdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of lightpowdr7 is a glorious beacon of light

Very cool. Hoping it works for ya.
powdr7 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

I'm getting the shock for sure, and I left a deposit.

Don't know how much custom stuff I can get on it, though.

Need to contact the dudes in Germany to find out.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
Smoker
BLACK BELT

The shock is ordered, but I'm not sure exactly what's going to arrive. The shock specs are type 641 290mm with -0/+10 ride height adjuster and 180nm/1028lb spring.

I don't know the capabilities or interest of Wilbers when it comes to custom work, so I went ahead and asked if they could do a bunch of stuff to the 641 type shock.

I spent most of the little time I had measuring for the hose from the shock to the reservoir. I found it impossible to be accurate without the actual parts - so I gave up on that. They said it's no big deal to change the hose later. I may even do a custom hose myself, so I can use the banjos and bolts that I want.

I contacted Wilbers in Germany and asked for the entire exterior of the shock to be blacked out, custom powder coating (RAL 3028) on the spring, in-line type compression adjuster with red & blue buttons, black and red rebound adjuster, DLC (black) coating on the shock shaft, and a clear steel braided hose. Not sure how much they will be able to do.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
busa1300
GURU

CF Lover
busa1300's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:06 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!busa1300 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

I've been buying parts through yahoo.co.jp for a couple years now for my RGV projects... I see frame and engine mounting bolts from stripped bikes quite often from there... Usually pretty cheap too, just $$$ for shipping.
I titled and plated for 3 RGV's just this year in Indiana... a bit of work, but worth it.
I have been looking for a NS400R to title and plate for myself.... If you know of one that might be for sale....
busa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa1300 View Post
I've been buying parts through yahoo.co.jp for a couple years now for my RGV projects... I see frame and engine mounting bolts from stripped bikes quite often from there... Usually pretty cheap too, just $$$ for shipping.
I titled and plated for 3 RGV's just this year in Indiana... a bit of work, but worth it.
I have been looking for a NS400R to title and plate for myself.... If you know of one that might be for sale....
Yeah, I still need a used RZV swingarm pivot and linkage bolts to copy in titanium. Will probably have to shop in Japan for those.

I wish I could still bring in gray market bikes to Cali, but the DMV here has gotten wise. I can still plate anything at my family home in AZ, but it's not ideal.

I've never thought about selling my NS400R. Currently trying to buy one of Giron's NC35 SSSAs already modified to fit the NS400R. He's asking $1,000 for it with the wheel.

My NS400R has a lot of mods, all done by the previous owner. I really wanted one, so I paid his asking price of $5,000. I wouldn't sell for less. I have dreams of a naked NS400R Fighter.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #17
jaybuilt
or just jay

CF Addict
jaybuilt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 9 Times in 2 Posts
jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Very good question.

There's no way to legally register this frame. It may be possible to get it registered and plated - but not where I live. I used to be able to do it, but not any more.

Before things got tight - I managed to import 2 bikes - and got them plated in Cali. The third bike I brought in (NS400R) was a no go - still in the garage unregistered. I have an '87 RZ350 and an '85 RZ500 registered and plated, but not legal. The term is "Improper Registration".

So, this frame will replace my currently registered RZ500 frame. If I lived somewhere else, I could probably go to the CHP and change the frame numbers on the reg to the new frame numbers. If I try that where I live - the CHP will pull the bike off the street for good.

I don't have a good answer to your question, excep that I'm going to build it. Illegal, or not.
ATA..boy Smoker
jaybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived jaybuilt!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Smoker
BLACK BELT

I have to fix these rear suspension linkage parts - otherwise, the new shock can't be installed.

The 2 parts in the center are the relay arms. Inside each one are 2 grease seals and a solid bushing. I ordered the grease seals, but the solid bushings are no longer available. Tried to buy complete new relay arms, but those are NLA, too.

So, I'm trying to find appropriate Needle Roller Bearings, which would be 18x24x18 or 18x24x19 and single sealed (one side). Haven't had any luck, so far.

If I can't get the NRBs, I'll use Oilite bushings.

Considering making the nuts, bolts and collars out of titanium - but there are some issues....
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #19
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

It may be worth talking to your local napa. I've had good luck using napa to get bearings of all different sizes. You'd be surprised. Just find the oldest guy working there because it requires looking in a book and not banging a key board. It's a running joke at my local store who ever has to deal with searching for bearings in the book, no one likes to do it lol...

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Smoker
BLACK BELT

These pics ARE NOT MY BIKE:

The first pic is the solid bushing from inside one of the relay arms. Inside of the bushing is one of the small steel collars, and inside of that is the retaining bolt.

As you can see, the ends of the collar and relay arm are unsupported, because that's the location for the grease seals. If you look closely - you can also see that a crack developed in that area.

So, the custom replacement bearings or bushings should support the collars all the way to the ends.

Also not sure if titanium is up to the task. Those steel collars are very solid, and the retaining bolt is a Grade 12.9!!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes