angled frame slugs - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > angled frame slugs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: angled frame slugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
As long as the tube doesn't get a kink in it you'll be fine. If it flattens a touch you'll still be fine provided it isn't a super critical piece.

OEM's never slug when they tee pieces of tubing together, like on a subframe.
yeah, it isn't entirely clear to me what he's looking for the slug to do in this case: is this to attach a subframe to a main frame (or a similar T style connection), to provide a bend in a tube, to extend the length of an existing tube and add a bend, or something else?

if it's for a T style connection, a well fitted notch and good weld should exceed the strength of the tube

if it's to provide a bend, I'd prefer seeing a properly bent piece of tube (with a radius) rather than a slug with a bend in it (resulting in a sharp bend)

if it's to extend an existing tube, I guess I can see using what you mean, but I'd prefer seeing a straight splice (with a slug - likely hollow) into a new piece with a proper bend

but these are just my opinions and it's not my bike

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
remfanuk
Fighter
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Flip Offs: 0
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
yeah, it isn't entirely clear to me what he's looking for the slug to do in this case: is this to attach a subframe to a main frame (or a similar T style connection), to provide a bend in a tube, to extend the length of an existing tube and add a bend, or something else?

if it's for a T style connection, a well fitted notch and good weld should exceed the strength of the tube

if it's to provide a bend, I'd prefer seeing a properly bent piece of tube (with a radius) rather than a slug with a bend in it (resulting in a sharp bend)

if it's to extend an existing tube, I guess I can see using what you mean, but I'd prefer seeing a straight splice (with a slug - likely hollow) into a new piece with a proper bend

but these are just my opinions and it's not my bike
I was asking about a frame slug that would join the subframe i am yet to make to the main bandit frame. i dont think angled frame slugs actually exist from my searching...i only want a small bend in the tube after the end of the slug in the subframe.

In the photo where i have marked it in red, i intend to cut the frame tube a little more and then set a rough angle as can be seen in my shonky set up using bits of the old frame and plumbers plastic tube! so maybe the slug will be maybe 3cm into the main frame and the same into the subframe around the red mark on the photo. that's the plan.

not sure if i should go for a steeper angle or not...the tank is plain bandit with an 1198 evo ducati seat. obviously i dont want to compromise the integrity of where the subframe and main frame join which will be somewhere just below where i will be sat on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canvas.png
Views:	10
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	106048  
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

bent frame rail be fine
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #14
remfanuk
Fighter
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

just as an aside...i don't have much spare cash but want to get a reasonable mig welder...up to a couple of hundred quid. what's out there that you welders would recommend...most metal will be 1.5mm mild steel i would imagine.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

i,m no use to you,I tig or braze or stick
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #16
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Forget MIG, learn TIG and you'll be far happier.

I also second Yan's assessment... normal, easily obtainable slugs and putting the bend in the tube will be the best route.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
remfanuk
Fighter

Excuse my ignorance but can TIG be used to weld mild steel? I thought it was the preserve of aluminium welding.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

TIG can be used to weld anything that can be welded. you need DC for steel vs AC for aluminum but all the TIGs I've seen that do AC also do DC (not all DC machines do AC though)

advantages: looks nicer (if you're good), stronger, can weld anything

disadvantages: more difficult, slower

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #19
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:52 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Tig are a steeper learning curve and are at at least 2-3x the initial cost of a MIG, in my experience. TIG's also have consumables that aren't particularly pricey, but if you find yourself needing a tungsten or whatnot on the weekend and no shops are open- your work is done. Once accidental drop or bump of the TIG torch can have you needing to replace a tungsten and a cone. A handful of MIG tips is a few bucks and will last for years. I can't remember the last time my MIG needed a new tip. It's been10 years or longer.

The slower speed of the TIG also results in burning up a LOT more gas vs a MIG, which can get expensive and very annoying running back and forth to exchange cylinders.

If you plan to weld lots of aluminum, don't think twice and grab a TIG. Period. You can weld aluminum with a MIG, but it ain't easy, cheap or very practical. Otherwise,just welding steel, you can build confidence and skills much quicker and cheaper on a good MIG and then step up to a TIG later.

I have both and grab my MIG 99% of the time I'm welding steel. The TIG is slow, fussy about prep, and costly to operate. I can glue shit together with the MIG while I'm fiddling getting the TIG set up and running. Even though probably 75% of my welding is done by MIG, I use almost three times as much gas per year in my TIG. At $65 per cylinder.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Even though probably 75% of my welding is done by MIG, I use almost three times as much gas per year in my TIG. At $65 per cylinder.
That's just because you're slow.

I have a few thoughts on this...

A good TIG welder can run around 70% the speed of a MIG welder.
But really, speed shouldn't be a huge concern for anybody here. None of us are running production shops and tracking parts-per-hour, in this space it's about quality over quantity IMO. If a weld takes 10 minutes instead of 5, but looks way better... so what?

You can usually get away with running a bit less gas flow than with MIG. The weld heat is more concentrated and the part shouldn't be getting as hot as with other welding processes, and the slower travel speed means you have direct gas coverage over the specific area for longer.

Also re. speed... you have basically zero cleanup. No spatter to scrape/grind off, nothing catching on fire, etc. so the overall time spend from prep to cleanup is pretty close.

TIG allows for things like fusion welding where you don't use filler. Not always appropriate, but sometimes a good option and will save you the cost of filler if you are worried about that.

Less consumable costs, because less consumables. TIG cups are non-consumable vs. MIG cups which do wear down from repeated spatter and clean-up. Electrodes (tungsten) don't wear unless you fuck them up by dipping them or running too hot for the size, vs. MIG electrodes which wear out from burnback and just friction. The only actual consumables you have with TIG are the filler and the gas.
Not breaking shit is pretty easy too... just make a nice littler holder to hang your torch on and itll be nice and out of the way. But yes, tungsten is a brittle metal and TIG cups are class or ceramic, so they aren't as agreeable to being used as a hammer as a MIG gun is.

The learning curve is steeper, but not insurmountable by any means. Look at all the goons that have figured it out... if we can do it so can you. The thing about it is that TIG is a proper skill, while a trained monkey can run a MIG.

TIG isn't picky about weld prep. Materials are. You can weld picky materials with TIG, which is why it gets that rep.
With mild steel specifically, quality vs. cleanliness is a product of the filler rather than the process. Most mild steel filler you'll find for TIG is ER70-S2, most wire you see for MIG is ER70-S6. The S6 has more silicon and manganese, which helps the puddle flow better and more importantly helps carry contaminants out of the weld (the silicon does this, it's the glass stuff that develops on top of your weld). Buy some S6 filler rod or just use some lengths of MIG wire and your mild steel TIG weld will be as un-picky about prep and cleaning as your MIG is.

TIG can weld:
- mild steel
- stainless steel
- cast iron & cast steel
- aluminum
- titanium
- Inconel
- Hastelloy
- magnesium
- ceramics
- etc.
It also opens up the world of TIG brazing. You can join any metal to any other metal this way, even if they aren't weldable alloys.

MIG can weld:
- mild steel
- stainless steel, but not very well and only IF you buy a full spool of stainless filler
- aluminum, IF you have a push-pull gun and the right machine
Can also kinda-ish weld cast iron and cast steel, but not very well and it WILL break eventually unless you have special filler wire.

Get a TIG.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal