angled frame slugs - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > angled frame slugs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
remfanuk
Fighter
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default angled frame slugs

are there angled frame insert slugs out there folks? plenty of straight ones with differing diameters but wonder if there was like a 20 degree bend slug? cheers.
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: angled frame slugs

reckon it,ll be straight slugs with the bend in the subframe
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Would it be asking for trouble to get a straight one, cut it at an angle and weld the two halves as required? Like a piecut.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
yantosh

yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

just bend a bit of tube, weld one end to frame t,other to slug
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
remfanuk
Fighter
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

i did think the easiest solution would be to bend the tubing but thought i would ask the question. however, on that subject...would you guys advocate bending pipe at home. i am only looking at 20 degrees for instance and don't have a pipe bender. was thinking about the sand filled tube bending method or is that a bit too ghetto to be safe?

cheers lads.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:49 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

As long as the tube doesn't get a kink in it you'll be fine. If it flattens a touch you'll still be fine provided it isn't a super critical piece.

OEM's never slug when they tee pieces of tubing together, like on a subframe.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
remfanuk
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
As long as the tube doesn't get a kink in it you'll be fine. If it flattens a touch you'll still be fine provided it isn't a super critical piece.

OEM's never slug when they tee pieces of tubing together, like on a subframe.
how has it become the go to option for custom subframes? my bandit seems to have like a twin wall construction on the tube coming away from the main spar for a few cm. i guess frame slugs are belt and braces?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
yantosh

custom builders usually don.t have the software to stress test structures, just build it strong
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Using slugs also make it easier to align the parts and produce a welded part that looks like one solid piece (allowing you to safely grind the weld down). It may even be necessary for strength in some applications. I'd wager if converting a Hog to a hard tail, slugging the connections is a legit requirement; vibration could fatigue crack anything less.

It may just have passed on from there as "the right / best way to do it" even if overkill in most cases.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Hardtail a Harley or Triumph using slugs at the welds for strength... same as when you rake or de-rake the frame in the frame down tubes. Not over-kill at all. Also as Sebwiers stated this method will allow you to safely grind down the welds for aesthetic reasons.

So for a sub-frame well... If your a big-un like myself, I would use slugs.

My .02
Beez

And I looked and behold a pale horse. And the rider's name was Death.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived beezwiz!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal