Sprocket nuts - slim ones? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Members Intro > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Sprocket nuts - slim ones?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
NorthernBloke
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 12:38 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
NorthernBloke is a NOOB
Default Sprocket nuts - slim ones?

Hi Guys, I'm cracking on with my rear end swap and doing the dry fit and alignment and things are going petty well apart from the closeness of my rear sprocket nuts to my swinging arm. I'm using stainless nylocs but I could do with something slimmer, any ideas?

I was thinking standard nuts and locking washers, or standard nuts and thread lock, is there another option?

Also with all the parts I have and they are a mix of makes everything is aligned but from my initial measurements the new rear wheel is offset to the Right ( brake side looking from the back) by 2mm. I can't move it over to the chain side by 2 mm because of tyre to chain clearance & chain to frame clearance, will this be a big problem.

Here's some pictures because I know we like pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chain run.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	693.6 KB
ID:	109332   Click image for larger version

Name:	sprocket nuts.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	888.5 KB
ID:	109334  
NorthernBloke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
Rwgoldsmth
Fighterer
Rwgoldsmth's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:38 PM
Rwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond reputeRwgoldsmth has a reputation beyond repute

Do they clear as is? Even if it’s close it may be fine. Otherwise I would do regular nut with a split washer and some red locktite. But I am ok with overkill on critical parts

I have seen low profile nylocks but I don’t know if they are strong enough since they couldn’t have too much thread

Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Terry Pratchett

gl1200 leaning sidehack build
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...98#post1971498
01 fz1
13 nc700x
Assorted other Shitboxes
Rwgoldsmth is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
NorthernBloke
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 12:38 AM
NorthernBloke is a NOOB
Default Re: Sprocket nuts - slim ones?

Cheers, yes they clear as they are now but if I move the wheel back, for when the chain stretches they catch on the bolt heads that hold a thin metal spacer to the arm so Ideally I could do with more clearance. I agree that slimmer nylocs wouldn't have many threads.
NorthernBloke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I would think low profile nylocks would work, but I haven't seen any in metric sizing.

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN
Can't leave them alone...

Time to find a nice VStrom 1000 to round me up to 5...
Casper is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
RTharalson
Old, Bold Rider
Noobie
Local Time: 01:38 AM
RTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to allRTharalson is a name known to all

Are the studs removable from the sprocket carrier? If so it would be possible to hold the sprocket with bolts instead of nuts, and if you are so inclined the heads of the bolts can be safety wired for that "track ready" look.

Rob
RTharalson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Members Intro > Beginner Streetfighter Questions