Ducati Monster Seat Screws...WTF? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ducati Monster Seat Screws...WTF?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
remfanuk
Fighterer
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default Ducati Monster Seat Screws...WTF?

so i am using a 1100 evo monster seat for my bandit build and may have a go at recovering it myself. However i have come against what ducati describe as a 'column' into which goes a nice looking screw that keeps the seat cowl on. i am thinking that the column cannot be removed as it flares out one pushed into the seat. anyone else been able to remove these? or, do i have to cut it off and pay ducati 10 quid to replace it. two of these screw inserts, two screws and two spacers is 50 notes!!!
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
remfanuk
Fighterer
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Ducati Monster Seat Screws...WTF?

Here are a couple of photos showing the outside of the screw insert/column and the flanged end on the inside of the seat base.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

looks like itll pop out if you squeeze those "fingers" together and push. try pushing the box end of a small wrench over them to compress them all at the same time. easy to break when trying to get each finger to depress with a screwdriver or a pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
remfanuk
Fighterer

I tried holding the bottom finger with a small electrical screwdriver and then pushing the other 2 with pliers. Not budging

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
RatFighter
UnicycleMode
RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Maybe a small hose clamp around it tightened down to compress them in a bunch? Then pick at it with a screw driver trying to compress them farther to slip them out?

My brother did seats for years and specialized in Ducati seats for a bit, I remember him having a bag of those things laying around just in case he had to deal with them, and managed to break one getting them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-13-2020, 03:17 AM   #6
remfanuk
Fighterer

Cheers...i shall try a jubilee clip on it...good hack.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
remfanuk
Fighterer

Tried a jubilee clip and a zip tie and neither were successful. So out cane the trusty Dremel and i cut off one of the expanded legs/fingers and out they came. Now i need to work out how i will secure them in place in the future perhaps by splaying the remaining legs out or use a soldering iron to melt them in place.
The seat foam is pretty good but i may try and get some 10mm dense foam to bolster the base for a bit more comfort.

This user High Fived remfanuk!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-15-2020, 11:47 PM   #8
RatFighter
UnicycleMode
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track there splaying the remaining portion of them with a screw or something to melt them into place. I considered the idea of cutting them off and using a screw and washer to hold them back in place if you have enough material to get a bit into with the threads.

I'm going to shoot a link to the thread over to my brother (toctuning) and see if he can remember where he got his from back when he was doing seats regularly.

Quote:
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #9
RatFighter
UnicycleMode
Fighter of the Month 

Well damn! That was a fast reply from my brother!

#4 on the diagram, looks like $4 and some odd change each, can be ordered brand new.

https://ducatiparts.crosscountrycycl...51y-h1DG3v-8eA

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-16-2020, 12:58 AM   #10
RatFighter
UnicycleMode
Fighter of the Month 

Oops! Updated info, he said the other part number are the WRONG ones, this is what you are looking for.

Part #17 is the correct threaded insert:

https://ducatiparts.goldcoastmotorsp...ly6xoy73MCjJLM

Hope that helps! $15 each isn't too bad considering the quality, and OEM Ducati parts in general tend to be pretty stout stuff, hence why so many use these seats for builds over the years.

Quote:
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!