Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 261 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #2601
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:43 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Good news is, Jeff's been sending me texts about getting the pipes finished.

Never worked out a cool silencer design, so I want to try to copy the Toomey silencers in titanium. Shouldn't be too difficult. Titanium tube with 2 machined ends welded on. Only purpose to use titanium instead of aluminum is so they can be gold titanium nitrided.

Need to get to work on this immediately. Need to find a place for a support bracket under the bike, and there's nowhere I like.

I'm on the reservation in AZ, but will be home tomorrow and get back to DW.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #2602
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:43 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

you can titanium nitride coat steel, guess not aluminium?
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #2603
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:43 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Good news is, Jeff's been sending me texts about getting the pipes finished.

Never worked out a cool silencer design, so I want to try to copy the Toomey silencers in titanium. Shouldn't be too difficult. Titanium tube with 2 machined ends welded on. Only purpose to use titanium instead of aluminum is so they can be gold titanium nitrided.

Need to get to work on this immediately. Need to find a place for a support bracket under the bike, and there's nowhere I like.

I'm on the reservation in AZ, but will be home tomorrow and get back to DW.

Never heard of the Occupation of Alcatraz, so just did some research on it. Wow. Glad you posted that up. I always enjoy learning more about history, even if it isn't entirely pleasant.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #2604
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
you can titanium nitride coat steel, guess not aluminium?
Can't remember atm, but I'll find out.

I think it's possible to coat aluminum, but because the base material is softer, the PVD coating can be easily damaged. Something like that.

With mild steel, the nitride coating is so thin, the steel can still rust.

So far, I've only coated stainless and titanium.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #2605
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Motherfucker!!
Me.
Asshole!

What's wrong with this pic???

I used an original Toomey pipe to get the approximate dimensions for my new spring hook design.

Blaming the pain meds. Somehow got into my brain to make 2 spring hooks, like the Toomeys have.

Just another mistake for me to fix. Already took the walk of shame in front of the machinist, and the fabricator.

Bill is making 2 more. Jeff says he doesn't need them right away, since he's finishing the rear section of the pipes.

I know I could run both springs to one hook, but not ideal, and most pipes leak at the header joint.

I got off easy. What's next?
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #2606
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Rear sections of the pipes tacked up.

Next, need to fab a bit of stinger and the silencer mounting flanges.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #2607
Smoker
BLACK BELT

2 more spring hooks done.

Already packaged and shipped.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #2608
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Still at it. Struggling a bit, as usual.

Just unfamiliar with titanium tubing, so really didn't know what wall thickness to use for the 2 silencers. Used my judgement, based on the tubing for my urn project. (.039 wall x 3in OD).

Ended up going with .050 wall x 2.25in OD x 18in. Big mistake. Way too heavy.

Got a 6in x 2.50in OD titanium bar to machine into 4 end caps. Looks good.

2nd try on the tubing... another fail. Got the right wall thickness (.035in), but fucked up and ordered the 6in length, instead of the 18in. Dumbass move.

Hate wasting time and money. More tubing is on the way.

Also got this 3in chunk of 6061. Making a cutting block. Will drill a 2.25in hole down the middle, then slice it in half to clamshell around the tubing.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #2609
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Pipes are welded. Need to get the silencer mounting flanges done, clean up the welds and polish.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #2610
alkemist
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
alkemist is a NOOB

Pipes look absolutely divine!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes