Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #51
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Got the rear billet caliper this month - been waiting almost a YEAR for this! It was supposed to be available in '07, and is in the '07 Brembo Catalog.

Hope I get the mounting bracket soon. Been waiting since January for it.

These parts are good examples of why I might not be able to follow the time frame of the build-off. I've still got a bunch of custom stuff planned for this bike that you guys haven't seen yet.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #52
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernophil View Post
Edit: Read the thread thus far. My eyes hurt.
My fingers hurt!

Bought this 2001 R6 seat on ebay almost 2 weeks ago. No seat yet, and no return emails from the vendor.

The seat wasn't expensive, so I bought it to use for mock-up. Hope it arrives soon.

The OEM RZ seat pan is the right size and shape to use as a platform for the new seat. It also has the proper attachment points built in, so I figured I would give it a try before fabricating something else. After stripping the seat cover and foam rubber from the pan, I applied some tape to check the contour.

Filling up the seat pan with liquid would create this shape. When I used to work in film production, the scenic artists would sometimes use a liquid foam to glue together polystyrene pieces, and for other stuff. If I can find this type of foam material, it might work to build up the seat pan. The liquid and the catalyst create a type of foam that dries light and hard, and can be shaped using woodworking tools.

If the seat pan could be filled up and shaped with the liquid foam, then a resin can be applied which seals and creates a non-porous surface that can be sanded smooth. To make it strong, it could be wrapped with carbon fiber material. Then it could be painted to match the other body pieces.

Still have to figure out attachment points for the new seat and seatpan, but that shouldn't be too difficult. The passenger portion of the OEM seat pan would need to be chopped, and I might want the rear part of the seat base to curve up toward the buttpad.

This is just a mockup. That's not even a seat, just a black towel. The seat base is just tape, and sprayed with primer to (sort of) match the body pieces. I didn't mock up the buttpad.

The purpose is to see how the bike would look with a custom seat base that would match the bodywork. The new seat and seat pan would go on top of the seat base.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #53
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_adam View Post
you've already done so much anyway.....seems late to be entering the buildoff.
Yeah, doesn't seem right to bring in a project that's almost a year in the making.

Pretty sure this is the stuff. I hope so, I ordered some.

Urethane Pour Foam - known in the business as "A-B Foam" - not to be confused with "A-B Smoke".

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #54
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Got an AGM battery that is smaller, lighter, and more powerful than the OEM battery.

I'd like to make a custom battery box out of flat and angle carbon fiber, but haven't started, yet.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #55
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Trial fitted the billet rear master cylinder. The resevoir fits nicely through the OEM hole in the fender, but I'm not crazy about the way it looks.

Now I'm thinking about switching to a hose and Rizoma reservoir.

The rear master will mount on a custom rear set bracket.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #56
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katu View Post
Looks good so far. Love the footpegs. Are those stock or aftermarket?
The footpegs you see in the page 1 pics are made by Raask, and came with the rear sets. I won't be using those rear sets, though.

I want to get a pair of these gold footpegs, and design them into the custom rear sets.

I think I can shape the OEM rearset brackets into a matching set (otherwise, I'll cut them off and weld on new brackets).

The upper bracket with the button heads is for the OEM rear master cylinder and needs to be shaved off.

The rear sets will be a fairly simple design - similar to these, but with added heel guards, rear master mount and an exhaust mount bushing. I'd also like to use an anodized aluminum shift rod, and a Ti brake clevis.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 02:48 AM   #57
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtntan View Post
Forget the build off, put this shit in the magazine. Fucking awesome Smoker!
Thanx, Bro!!

I found a guy that makes these carbon fiber kickstands.

Talked him into making me a custom kickstand. It took a long while, but it came out poppin'. Just need to shorten up the spring peg so it doesn't dent the pipe. Besides the special foot, I also asked him to make it 3/8 inch longer, to stand up the bike a little more and to shave the kill switch lever (I'll be shaving the switch). Also got an aluminum foot, instead of a steel foot.

Here it is, compared to the OEM kickstand:

These people High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #58
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
It's actual CF. You can tell by the cross-section of the fender where it snapped.
When it broke, it sounded like a firecracker went off in the garage! Then it crackled and popped over the next hour while the fibers kept ripping apart as it settled.
Are you sure.....from this pic here, the fibers look white...meaning its just dyed fiberglass. Actual CF, in my opinion, would not snap that easy, and not look like that once it did break....the fibers would be black.

In either case, its good to know...I will never buy anything from powerbronze.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #59
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntninja View Post
+1
doesn't look like carbon to me, I just spent all weekend workin with the stuff, can't pull my fingers apart for the epoxy.

Nice project, if you need any custom Carbon fiber parts let me know...
I still have the broken fender, so I'll give it a closer look. I did torque VERY hard on the fender before it broke, though.

What kind of CF are you talking about - molded parts, or CF wrap? I'm interested.

I haven't got there with my posts, yet - but the carbon fiber shop I had lined up closed - so I'll definitely be looking for someone to do some quality work.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #60
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Since its broken anyway..take a drill to it. If it goes through in about 10-30 seconds..its black fiberglass...if it takes about 5 minutes with good pressure, its real CF.

I forget what the actual numbers are, but CF is supposed to be about three times as stronger at steel and 8 times lighter.......

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes