Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 9 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #81
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslflint View Post
can you get some pics/details on that other yamaha? is it an FZ?
Another smoker - it's a 1985 RZ500.

Just took these pics: (The belly pan is off because I had to borrow some screws.)

Details: So far, I've got a 2007 R6 swingarm and lower triple for the front and rear conversion. Also got an aluminum frame and some aluminum levers from Japan.

Just put the R6 swingarm in the mail today. A fabricator in Florida is going to make and weld the adapter brackets, fit the RZ pivot tube bushing to the R6 tube with adapter bushings, and cut the tube length to fit the RZ frame. I may also ask him to seal up the hole for the R6 shock. On the RZ500, the shock is underslung.

I got the OEM aluminum levers because they are rare, but I'll probably end up using something different on the bike.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #82
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslflint View Post
what are the other two bikes in that pic?
The bike in the back is an '87 RZ350 (with OEM full body). I'd like to make that bike a daily rider, and put the old mods from my project RZ350 on it. Right now it's bone stock, in good condition. No good pics at hand, but I'll keep looking, or take new ones.

The #4 bike is an '86 NS400R. I just got it less than 2 months ago. It came with a lot of mods that were very poorly done. I'll have to redo the entire bike, but it has potential for a crazy streetfighter.

Can't see much of it with the bodywork, but it's a V-3 two-stroke with 3 inline carbs between the V. The NS400R has only one crank, unlike the RZ500 and RG400/500 engines which have 2 cranks (heavier, with much more rotating mass).

This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #83
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
Smoker: I gotta ask..you have a machining connection, or do it yourself? The reason I ask is that the prices you mentioned above would barely get you a set of spools made, much less anything else.

Plenty of us have tried to get stuff machined, or some do it themselves.....and I think its same to say not many would do anything for under $100...and that is not counting materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I too am curious about how your

machining costs are so low. Unless your floor at work has a CNC machine in the break room, I imagine you have a friend who works at a machine shop.
No connections for machine work, I just got lucky. I found this place a while back when I needed some parts made for my Scion. It's a small machine shop (so, limited capabilities) run by 2 guys. No CNC mill, waterjet, or anything like that.

Here are the prices for the items made to my specifications. I've posted pics and drawings of this stuff:

(1) Steering Stem Spacer = 30 USD
(2) Top Clamp Spacers = 75 USD
(2) Threaded Bushing, Knurled = 75 USD
(2) Cut & Bevel Clamp, Mirror = 40 USD
(2) Cap Washers, Handlebar Clamp AND
(1) Face Off Logo, Side Casing = 75 USD
(1) Tachometer Drive Cap = 50 USD

Don't know the prices yet for the head nut washer and oil filler cap (if they can make it). Also talking to them about big projects like making the dry clutch cup and main axle.

I'll ask them this week if they want me to post their info. You guys might be able to get your custom parts made there, and have the parts shipped to you.

You may not get the same pricing as me, though - I'm very likable in person.

When they turned down and cut the shifter on my Scion, I couldn't believe the good price they gave me, so I went back and gave them a bottle of decent wine that I like. I also NEVER complain about pricing - I always ask if the price is enough, because I want them to be happy making my parts.

Learned that shit in the military - always be nice to the people cooking your food, signing your check, and making your custom parts!

Forgot to post this - I also have a set of 2006 R6 Forks for the front end conversion on the RZ500:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #84
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
cool mang, you ever thought about using an H2 motor in any of your builds?
I love triples, but the Kaw H2 750cc engine is heavy and has a very narrow powerband (about 2800 rpms).

Those bikes in their original form were serious death machines. Only good for going fast in a straight line.

My project bikes won't make as much power as the bike in this video, but the engine sound will be the same. Check out the fly-bys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQ9n...eature=related
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #85
Smoker
BLACK BELT

12mm offset front sprocket = done.

Should be able to check the chain alignment soon.

Does any one know where to get a Ti or stainless front sprocket bolt?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #86
Newman
Fighterer
Newman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Newman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Does any one know where to get a Ti or stainless front sprocket bolt?
You might try these guys http://www.yoyodyneti.com/

Newman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #87
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Totally boned out on my design for the new oil filler cap.

I was trying to do a design similar to these Pingel oil caps:

Instead of a large round hole in the upper part, I wanted to use a large broach for an allen wrench. I need to use a wrench because the cap is up against the side casing, and I can't get a strong finger grip on it.

The problem is that the machine shop I use can't make a large enough broach. The largest they could do was 3/8 inch (which I didn't know), and the finished oil cap doesn't look good to me.

The original design was fairly complex, so it's going to cost some me bucks to trash the cap, and start fresh.

The new design has only one strip of knurling, and is only about half as tall. Much closer to the design of the custom swingarm bushings. It will look like this, but with a broach for an allen wrench.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #88
Smoker
BLACK BELT

This is a mock-up of a 2.5 inch subframe lift. Only the tailpiece and seat pan are elevated - the taillight is in the original position.

Besides cutting and welding the subframe at an increased angle, the solo tailpiece and seat pan/seat base will need to be modified/reshaped.

Ignore the poorly done seat mock-up.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #89
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
^^+1 nice balls man
Thanks - they're fuzzy, too.

Looks like I'm going to trash the tail light.

One reason is, the contour of the tail light lens is much smaller on the front - so if I install it flush in the tailpiece, the cut-out of the tailpiece will need to be made smaller.

The main reason is - the OEM tail light is so big that it pushes the licence plate down too close to the tire. No clearance issues - it just looks better with more space between the tire and licence plate.

I'm going to try to mount the licence plate in this position:

Good riddance to this heavy steel bracket!

Need to find or make an appropriate tail light!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #90
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Thinking about using 2 of these 48-LED bulbs for rear brake lights, and trying to fabricate a billet aluminum piece to hold the lights, licence plate, and turn signals.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes