Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 18 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #171
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

The front, however, is another story.

The front lower mount will be the easiest. With the engine sitting at mount position (still lined up at the rear), a mount bolt through the bottom hole shows that if the lower mounts on the frame were further back, the height is perfect. I'm gonna cut the mounts off another frame and have them welded on this frame. Then it's just spacers.

The upper mount is gonna be the hardest. I may have to still do some kind of cradle (think a warped 8 shape) that goes from the lower mount, wraps around the block to the upper mount, goes to the new lower mount and both original front mounts. Rough example of the plate shape included in pics.

2 reasons I'm going to keep the original lower mounts on the frame instead of cutting those and moving them for the lower GN mount:
A. It gives a 4th mount point for the front cradle plate
B. I'm gonna mount my pegs there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.50.10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	101036   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.49.31.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	101038   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.49.35.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	970.9 KB
ID:	101040   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.49.07.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	101042  
Attached Images

Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Fight Everything!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #172
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

With the motor now sitting where it will actually be, it looks like the kickstart actually will clear the frame on full rotation! I just need to remove the 2 mounting bolts from the KZ peg mount.

PROGESS!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-15 21.54.09.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	101046   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.54.13.jpg
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	101048   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.54.21.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	944.3 KB
ID:	101050  
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #173
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Got the bolts needed for the rear upper plates. Also did a bunch more mockup. Right now engine is hanging on the rear 2 mounts, but it looks promising. Really need to get the blocks welded to the frame for the front lower, to take the stress off the upper rear which is bowing right now. But, step at a time.

So here's the mockups!

Chain alignment looks pretty good, based on where the marks are on the swingarm. Should have the cush drive here tomorrow or Friday to verify that.

Still need to find shorter shocks, the ones in the pic are too damn long. Even on the softest setting, I don't see those shocks letting the bike sag to the height I want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-16 19.51.29.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	101056   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16 19.51.39.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	101058   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16 19.51.47.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	101060   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16 19.52.06.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	887.1 KB
ID:	101066   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16 19.52.18.jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	101068  

This user High Fived Fight Everything!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #174
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

One issue I did run into though, is the exhaust I had planned. If I keep it on the right side, it's gonna keep the kicker from going full swing. I'll have to see what happens with everything once the rest of the bike is assembled, might try to route it to the left, or under the frame and swingarm depending on how much ground clearance I actually have left when it's done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-16 19.53.00.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	101070   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16 19.53.10.jpg
Size:	949.6 KB
ID:	101072  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #175
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

So it looks like if I want to keep the EN450 19" front wheel I'm gonna have to source up a different front end. the GS forks are listed at 37mm, the EN and KZ at 36mm. I noticed that with the EN wheel mounted on the GS axle and slotted into the GS forks, the spacing needed to keep the wheel and rotor in line to the caliper, with matching space on the opposite side seemed to push the forks out more at the bottom, further apart than they are at the triple. So it looks like I may end up buying up parts for a KZ or EN front end next.

Didn't take pics of it.

I'm thinking I may still keep the GS front end and wheel though. Back wheel too. Run 19/15 for warm weather, find some knobbies to run the 18/16 for a winter setup, see how long I can keep the bike out when winter hits.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #176
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Bummer that the kicker will hit the muffler. Does the kicker need to rotate any further, or can you just limit it there?

It's kinda cool how the engine sits back in the frame a bit. You have room to keep your headpipes inside the cradle. I bet that would make for a tidy silhouette.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #177
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Kicker will definitely need to go further. If I stop it there, I'm only getting partial kicks. It doesn't engage near the top like the XS I almost bought, it starts about halfway down. Idk if maybe I just need to remove the arm and adjust it to retension things or...... idk. I do know at some point once it's running I'll have to pull the case cover and replace the bushing and seal. Shaft wobbles a little, and it's grungy there.

If I have enough room once the suspension is settled in, I'll see if I can run the exhaust down under the engine inside the frame, and then just tuck the muffler lower and further back so that it clears the kicker. Either that or run it out to the left side instead.

I'm also still very open to using a different engine if I can find a single cyl kick start engine with 12v.

Almost the entirely of the bike will be kept within the silhouette. There will only be 3 switches on the entire bike. Kill switch, lights on/off, and the brake light switch on the front brake. Handlebars will just be throttle and brake. Maybe a single mirror. Battery and coil will tuck up under the tanks. I'm debating running no rear brake, with a jockey shifter, clutch handle mounted to shifter. I can't think of anything more minimal for a city rat.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #178
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

The EX500 cush drive fits the EN450 wheel perfectly! FUCKING LEGOS YO!

I do need to machine the spacer down shorter though. Wouldn't go flush with the spacer in place. If I have the inside machined a little to do some cleanup, it might sit a little further in, but I'm happy enough with this for right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-17 18.59.20.jpg
Size:	924.3 KB
ID:	101074   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 18.59.25.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	771.8 KB
ID:	101076   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 19.10.30.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	958.7 KB
ID:	101078   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 19.10.40.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	101080   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 18.59.38.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	101082  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #179
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Overall lineup looks good. I'm gonna need some custom spacers to run this, obviously. But that's pretty minor overall.

Beyond that, I ordered the EN450 triples and front axle today. I'm gonna be on the look out for some cheap KZ forks to use. I found a set of EN450 forks on ebay, but if I can get lucky and find a KZ at the yard I go to, it'll be cheaper there.

I can't wait to set this thing on the ground!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-17 19.13.48.jpg
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	101100   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 19.13.58.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	101102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 19.14.02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	968.9 KB
ID:	101104   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-17 19.16.30.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	101106  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #180
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Damn I'm getting bored. Waiting on the EN450 triples I ordered to show up. Hoping to run to the junkyard this weekend to cut a couple frame mounts and grab all the axle and engine mount spacers I can find. If I'm lucky maybe I'll score the Kawasaki caliper I'll need while I'm there.

Getting close to fab work being the only thing left.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes