How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts) - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:45 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Liberty View Post
I guess the tank is good for the "Look" of carbon but adding a lot of resin actually makes the carbon fiber weaker. But I am sure your bike will come out looking nice.
with only one layer of carbon i am applying only enough resin to sand smooth. too much resin and it is just glue with fiber in the middle. i am hoping it will be nice. catnw ait to see it together!
thanks for the input
~Chris

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
Milimande
Never Seen, Never Heard
Fighterer
Milimande's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Milimande is really niceMilimande is really niceMilimande is really niceMilimande is really niceMilimande is really niceMilimande is really niceMilimande is really nice

love this thread

650r.....Yes Please!!!

"Its not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share, you family, your friends, your community, these are the most important thing a man can have."

"Lifes short and hard like a bodybuilding elf"
Milimande is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #33
Richard-Cranium
Hazards-r-us
Senior Fighterer
Richard-Cranium's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:45 AM
Richard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really niceRichard-Cranium is really nice

Far better than 3m Di-Noc!! In a different league....think I'll....

I asked God for a streetfighter but I know God doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked God for forgiveness! My x-wife said the last thing she wanted was to hurt me, but it was still on the goddam list!

My GSXR1000 K4 SlightFighter build My GT500 Cafe build

My Gixxer Pix

Biker Babe Pix
Richard-Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #34
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:45 AM
Flip Offs: 145
Flipped Off 35 Times in 30 Posts
Fathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Looks good man! Real good! One thing, I was actually thinking about tonight. Well, two things now.
1 - How did you cut your carbon fiber undertail out after it cured?
2 - Have you figured out how to get "rolled edges" on parts from molds?

Build Threads
2009 Winter Buildoff CBR Build Thread
After-Buildoff CBR Build Thread
CB750 Hardtail Bobber Build "Old's Cool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvgasm View Post
someone died ban everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbwstripes View Post
I like carbon peaking through the paint. It's like side boob.
Fathead_03 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

hey thanks guys! i will be doing more Carbon fiber and you can see it in my build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead_03 View Post
Looks good man! Real good! One thing, I was actually thinking about tonight. Well, two things now.
1 - How did you cut your carbon fiber undertail out after it cured?
2 - Have you figured out how to get "rolled edges" on parts from molds?
hey, huge fan of you work.. your build was what made me want to get a CBR. i was a man before. =)

to answer your questions:
1. after i took the part off the mold i used a scroll-saw (only because i dont have a bandsaw) to cut most of the excess off. as you can see in the picture, there is a nice line around the whole edge showing exactly where the original part was (and the holes) then i just used my belt grinder to get it to the exact shape.

2. Yes, and it can be a pain. I used some semi-flexible vinyl sheet as "flashing" around the undertail so that i would be sure to get good carbon fiber past the edge of my part. the same principle applies for rolled edges. You just have to make your flashing at the angle you want the "roll". that is easier said than done and why it is usually a pain. gonna try to get some rolled edges on the side panels and the fender.

thanks again for reading!
i got the brakes built last night, and i am off to go do more work!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #36
TXspeedDemon
Resident Nerd
CF Addict
TXspeedDemon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 90 Times in 29 Posts
TXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

reped for inspiration!

this write up has me wanting to attempt this for my cafe racer project in the making.
in fact i belive i shall

probably wast some money and get my ass kicked by Carbon fiber because ive never even used fiber glass but ya know what? im game

any super noob tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheshire Cat View Post
The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die.
TXspeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXspeedDemon View Post
reped for inspiration!

this write up has me wanting to attempt this for my cafe racer project in the making.
in fact i belive i shall

probably wast some money and get my ass kicked by Carbon fiber because ive never even used fiber glass but ya know what? im game

any super noob tips?
haha... just take your time and dont rush things. and make sure you do your prep thoroughly. and try something smaller and more... expendable than a tank. that way you dont loose all your carbon fiber if you screw up and it will give you a chance to see how it all works. and More resin is NOT better. use only as much as you need.. and feel free to ask questions. i am not the only one on here who has dont this. Cabbie got his tank wrapped.

thanks!
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
This user High Fived Knifemaker87!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
TXspeedDemon
Resident Nerd
CF Addict
TXspeedDemon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 90 Times in 29 Posts
TXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeTXspeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker87 View Post
haha... just take your time and dont rush things. and make sure you do your prep thoroughly. and try something smaller and more... expendable than a tank. that way you dont loose all your carbon fiber if you screw up and it will give you a chance to see how it all works. and More resin is NOT better. use only as much as you need.. and feel free to ask questions. i am not the only one on here who has dont this. Cabbie got his tank wrapped.

thanks!
~Chris
shoulda mentioned im going to try a tail first

and since im making my own form for that if i break it and mess it up OH WELL ill make another.

plus this is a skill id like to learn.
carbon fiber is tits and 2 damn expensive too buy!

but as the saying goes built not bought ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheshire Cat View Post
The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die.
TXspeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived TXspeedDemon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #39
swiftnet
Change or Die
CF Lover
swiftnet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
swiftnet is making some friendsswiftnet is making some friendsswiftnet is making some friendsswiftnet is making some friends

Looks great! I love the look of the tank.
I think using cf to cover all the black on my bike may be the finishing touch I was looking for. Repping you for this awesome thread.

2nd Gen B12, '88 GSXR 750 Head. GSXR 1100 cams. K&N pods, Holeshot stage2, 5 degree advancer, HS Headers covered in pumice based wraps, cut Yoshi can, Pingel fuel valve, K2 750forks, 'busa shock, aluminum custom sub-frame, custom lights, custom front face, modified top yoke, pro-taper bars+risers, gsxr 600 seat, front wheel, front calipers and master, zx10 rear cowl, zx6 brake lights, no centerstand. Currently sitting here waiting for me to get off my ass.
swiftnet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #40
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:45 AM
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 466 Times in 290 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

fuck man that turned out good. +rep for the bad ass knife maker dude

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork