Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 7 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #61
firefirefire
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Ehh... I don't think that's the way the comparison works. Pound for pound it may be x times stronger than steel, or... a piece the same thickness may be x times stronger than steel, but cf isn't hard to drill through at all.

Commercial cf add ons are generally a few layers of fiberglass with a cf sheet on the outside. So the pieces usually aren't much stronger that a regular fiberglass part.
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived !

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #62
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:23 AM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

The engine has previously been ported, head milled, and squish band improved. The bike also had Toomey pipes and 2 into 1 intake with K&N Filter, electronic CDI, and a high-output coil. Can't think of other engine mods at the moment. The bike was extremely quick with the OEM carbs and the mods.

I'll be upgrading the performance and looks of the engine a lot during this build - starting with the carbs.

Shit-canning the OEM Mikuni 26mm carbs to make room for the new Keihin PWK 33mm carbs.

The engine used to have mechanical oil injection into the carbs - but I trashed the oil pump long ago in favor of pre-mixing. So, the first issue is that the fuel tank has a vacuum line that runs off the right OEM carb.

I removed the OEM vacuum port nipple and transplanted it into one of the new PWK carbs:

An 11/64 drill bit fit perfectly through the OEM carb vacuum port:

Used the same drill bit to drill the vacuum port in the PWK:

I protected the brass tube with a small wood shim, and gave a couple of sharp taps with the hammer. On a difficulty scale of 1-10, this was about a 2.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #63
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

To bling out the PWKs, I'm going to use blue billet caps and red magnetic drain bolts. Also going to anodize the float bowls gold, and polish the main carb bodies.

I'm also going to try to shave the logos.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #64
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadame View Post
I gotta ask-what camera do you use to take these pics? They're pretty high quality. lol
That's funny because I don't even have an actual digital camera. I'm using an old video camera with a still picture mode. I'll give you a good laugh if I can get a pic of the video camera - one whole side of the camera is completely melted - it had a run-in with a toaster - and lost. Still works, though!

Here are the polished carb bodies:

Before:

After:
V

These people High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #65
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
The carb polishing is what has my brain messed up right now....Since the only was I know to polish something is down and dirty manual labour, I can't even fathom how much time and effort went into those. Hats off...
Thanks!

There will be a fair amount of polished parts on the bike, but I don't want to go crazy with the polishing, because it takes so much labor to keep it looking good.

One thing I have to put on the engine is a "Boost Bottle." There's a performance advantage with the Boost Bottle, but mostly I like the look.

I got this one which comes with a 34mm intake manifold - perfect for the 33mm carbs. I'm going to shave the logos, polish the manifolds to match the carbs, and anodize the bottle gold. This particular intake is designed specifically for use with VForce 3 Reedcages.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #66
Smoker
BLACK BELT

The new carbs are so big, they didn't fit. The drain nut on the left carb hits the clutch arm - so I used washers to figure out how much spacer is needed to clear it.

Typically, a reed spacer is used for tuning (No hp advantage - mostly it just moves the powerband) and it's placed between the head and the reedcage.

Reed spacers:

The VForce 3 reedcages are different than other reedcages. The VForce cages have a round 34mm hole in the center to increase the airspeed and centralize the charge.

Instead of using the typical open style spacers (which would reduce the airspeed and spread out the charge), I made custom spacers which match the I.D of the intake manifolds and VForce reedcages.

Increasing the length of the intake should add to the bottom end, which is a good thing.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #67
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
Looking ace mate, coming along nicely, how do you manage to do work so fast??
The work I'm posting is already done. The build is about half way done. Maybe less.

I still have to do the frame, electrical, suspension rebuild, body, engine, and a whole lot of misc. stuff.

The carbs are big and pretty heavy when fuelled up. No way will the ring clamps hold them on when riding. They will vibrate off the intake manifold, unless they're supported on the other side with an airbox.

I want to run with velocity stacks and/or foam filters, so no airbox. To prevent the carbs from coming loose, I designed this rubber-mounted carb support rod:

Upper mount made from angle aluminum and a well nut:

Threaded support rod for mockup:

Lower bracket:

Done:

Still need to clean up that lower bracket!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #68
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Who doesn't like big honkers?

The frame will need to be scalloped over one of the carbs. (It's closer than it looks in the pic)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #69
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Since the new tach is electronic, I can get rid of the OEM tachometer cable and drive.

Here's the OEM plastic part:

And the new billet cap:

Haven't even tried it on, yet.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #70
Smoker
BLACK BELT

These stainless steel pipes came from the Czech Republic.

They are GP exit pipes, both mufflers are on the right side. One pipe crosses over in front of the rear tire - that's why the brace is on top of the swingarm, instead of on the bottom.

The pipes come with stainless cans, but I'm saving up for some Ti cans. I'm going to ask for the color pattern to be reversed:

These people High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes