Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 8 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #71
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapyard View Post
This build is so well designed I'm amazed. Not only do you have a lot of nice high dollar go fast stuff that we can all drool over, but I like all the little parts, fixes and finishes you're putting into it that no one will truely notice unless you read over this thread. Devil's in the details bud. Keep the progress coming. I'm hooked now.
Thanks, much!

I have to agree that it's the details that make a good build. Any asshole with a credit card can buy parts - but the detail work, and how the parts are used, are what give the bike (and the build) character.

These are the billet engine casings.

The blue one is made for a Banshee, not an RZ, so there's no provision for an oil pump - PERFECT for this bike, since the oil pump is long gone. It also has removable covers for the clutch and water pump.

Both side casings will either be polished, or blasted finish. (The polished one below is still wrapped in plastic.)

I hate logos!

Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #72
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntninja View Post
+1
doesn't look like carbon to me, I just spent all weekend workin with the stuff, can't pull my fingers apart for the epoxy.

Nice project, if you need any custom Carbon fiber parts let me know...
I positively ID'd the fender material. It's real CF over fiberglass.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #73
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Raise the bar? He isn't just raising the bar, he's shattering the mounts, rebuilding them out of highly-polished stainless steel, adding anodised fasteners and then mounting it to a fucking rocket and putting it into orbit. This build is amazing.
Very kind words. I'm really glad you guys appreciate the effort. I'll do my best to keep it going at this level.

I'll post more soon - just getting crushed at work lately.

Been spending all free time, the past couple of days, trying to score some titanium hardware with titanium nitride coating. I'm finding it difficult to get the stuff I need, so I'm not waiting until the end of the build.

I ordered some TiN hardware a couple of weeks ago, but only half of the items were available - so we'll see what happens.

More soon!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #74
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Just ordered a Barnett clutch basket, pressure plate, and carbon fiber clutch kit. The basket and plate are billet, but have stainless inserts for wear-resistance.

Using this side casing, I'd like to see if I can build a dry clutch [without welding].

The biggest issue is (to do it right), I would need a custom longer main axle. The main axle needs to be longer to make room for the Ducati dry clutch seal and custom billet clutch cup.

It's the new main axle that might make this mod cost prohibitive. It's also very risky to use a main axle that's not OEM. I've got some nice ideas for the engine and I'd hate to see it go boom because of this mod.

I've seen this type of mod done to an RZ engine by a builder in Italy, but he cut a lot of material from the clutch hub to make it work - which I don't want to do. (I've never seen the bike run, either.) There's also a builder in the Netherlands who wants to do a similar project, and says he has someone to make custom main axles - and I told him I'm interested.

I'm also looking into a one-off main axle, but I'm skeptical it's going to happen.

The Barnett carbon fiber clutch can be used wet or dry, so these parts will be okay no matter what happens.
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #75
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 

If it's the trans main shaft, it's most deffinatly splined.

Should be #1 in this pic.

Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #76
fslflint
fighter transplant in NC
fslflint's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Flip Offs: 92
Flipped Off 225 Times in 69 Posts
fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

yeah, good luck with that one. we do allot of parts like that (but allot bigger) in our shop... PRICEY PRICEY PRICEY!!!

cut and grind all your diameters and threads, then set it up in an indexing head on a horizontal mill.... that would probably be the easiest way to do it IMO. it can be done, but I'm sure you know that. its just taking the time to do it right or find someone willing to do it right.

could also be broached, done on a shaper, or cut on gear cutting machine... or a cnc mill.... or a machining center.

Quote:
Gavin, I know you are in heaven. Please don't modify it too much!
RIP brother

Quote:
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
fslflint is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #77
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslflint View Post
cut and grind all your diameters and threads, then set it up in an indexing head on a horizontal mill.... that would probably be the easiest way to do it IMO. it can be done, but I'm sure you know that. its just taking the time to do it right or find someone willing to do it right.

could also be broached, done on a shaper, or cut on gear cutting machine... or a cnc mill.... or a machining center.
This is why I wanted to post details about my build.

I don't have nearly as much knowledge about bike building as most of you guys, and I'm hoping that you can help me out when I have questions.

I do have a good general knowledge of bikes and mechanics, and I'm a good designer. I designed all the custom (bespoke) parts for the bike, but I only have tools to make simple parts - so I get the rest done at the local machine shop.

You guys might be surprised at the cool parts that can be made for not much money. Most of the small parts cost me 35 to 75 USD. If you do it over time, you can get a lot of custom parts without breaking the bank. I put the expensive items on my credit card and pay whatever I can afford each month.

You are correct about the main axle - it's #1 in the posted diagram, and is (II) in the pic below.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #78
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Here's the design for the rear caliper mounting bracket. It won't have those 2 extra holes between the axle hole and caliper mounting holes.

It's interesting how the bracket works with the eccentric adjusters.

As the rear axle moves forward, rearward, up, or down, the caliper mounting bracket moves and pivots on the swingarm peg.

I might mod the bracket with some cut-outs and install a speed sensor (not sure if it will go here or by the front sprocket).
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #79
Smoker
BLACK BELT

I got these items to add some modern technology to the engine. A CDI module, CDI Programming Unit, and Power Valves Programming Unit. Below is the Hand-held Programming Device.

With these I can use a variety of preset maps, or my own custom mapping, to program the ignition timing and electronic variable exhaust valves.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #80
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedbusa View Post
Driven has Carbon bars. They are bitchin.
Thanks to you and Ruff for letting me know about the Driven CF bar.

I'm definitely going to order the Driven bar and compare it to the CF bar I have now. One will go on this bike and the other will go on the #4 bike. #4 will be a more radical fighter with a bobbed seat/tail.

I can't ride without up bars. My body is wasted from 14 years of judo, so riding with clip-ons is always an incredible pain in the neck.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes