Micro switches & relays - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Micro switches & relays

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:26 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 
Default Micro switches & relays

So this winter I'll be doing away with the chunky standard switchgear off the bars and switching (pun intended) to mini switches operating relays. I've never had much experiences using relays since college.

One of the switches I've bought is a neato double momentary switch and I hoped to use one for the horn and one for the pass (high beam flash).
Trouble is, the switches are only rated at 50mA - is that even enough to switch the standard auto relays? Will I need a resistor inline before the switch? Should I check current ratings before ordering things next time?

Any help appreciated.

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Oli
Noobie
Oli's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Oli is making some friendsOli is making some friendsOli is making some friends
Default Re: Micro switches & relays

A relay can be triggered by a tiny current - you just need to check its ratings.

I'm curious though , have you worked out if you can trigger these with your gloves on, or have I misunderstood your plan?
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
Natan
Fighterer
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future

I'll look more into it then, see if I can find a low current rated relay.
They're just small momentary switches, I test fitted the unit to the bike last night and they work fine with the gloves on. Hopefully they're not so delicate that they won't last! If I can get them to work, that is.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
370steve
old fart

CF Pimp
370steve's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 16
Flipped Off 34 Times in 7 Posts
370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

you could always use one of these

SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
370steve is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Natan
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370steve View Post
you could always use one of these

It did cross my mind! Maybe a bit overkill for what I'm after though. They do seem like brilliant bits of kit.

This user High Fived Natan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 03:25 AM   #6
serryjj
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:26 AM
Flip Offs: 0
serryjj is a NOOB

Relay timer circuits works the best when the proper input is given and for the voltage graph you can visit https://netgears.support/netgear-genie-support and learn how to calculate the Q point.
serryjj is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights