brake pads not retracting - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > brake pads not retracting

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default brake pads not retracting

So... on the Secapocalypse, one of the (blue dot r1/r6) calipers locks up.

Used to be BOTH of them, but that was me running the (old stock cable actuated) MC lever overly tight, preventing fluid from going back into the reservoir when heat built up. Adjusting that properly served me well for 4,000 miles or so... right up until my trip to Wasteland Weekend, where the left(?) caliper locked its ass up while I was riding around the desert.

So now just that ONE locks up. What's the likely cause and solution?

I was thinking I'll probably have to force the pistons out with the compressed air and zip tie trick, clean and grease it all, look for corrosion, foreign material in the lines / caliper passages, etc?
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Lover
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:20 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: brake pads not retracting

Start out by pulling the pistons, cleaning them of any corrosion, pulling the seals, cleaning them (and the bodies) of any gunk

there's probably gunk on the seals causing sticking

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

What Junkie said. Grit build up around the dust seal is famous for that. But sometimes age just does it's thing and the seals can start to swell on ya.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

hows the brake hose look? if its old, it may be worth replacing. just had a Honda Element (car, i know) that locked up the left front caliper. caliper slide pins and the piston moved fine, even pressed the piston back by hand once the hose was removed. turned out the hose deteriorated internally and caused a clog. just something to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

The brake hoses are the stock hoses from 1981. So yeah, if its possible for shit to shake loose off them, riding in the desert would have done that. In fact, the issues started shortly after I ripped about 15 miles down and back on a dirt "road" at speeds that tested my suspension and construction pretty severely. Bike handled better than it had rights to, but I guess I found a failure point.

Might be an interesting excuse to do the trick with running full hard lines I wanted to try...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #6
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 07:20 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

As above, caliper strip and clean is step 1.

Is there anywhere the hoses could have become kinked or pinched while riding off road? The suspension will have been moving further in its travel than usual, maybe the hoses stretched? Maybe time to consider hard lines, and/or stainless lines at least for flex points.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Pulled the pots out and cleaned em. The outer last 1/8" or so of each was flithy and at least one could not be forced to retract. Pad wear was also visibly uneven.

After cleaning I tested the action with air pressure, seems more even and can be easily made to retract by hand.

I don't think the hoses are an issue. The rubber looks great for its age (is why I used them) and there's no way they could kink due to supension motion because the hoses don't move relative to the brake - I could run hard lines all the way from the MC (cable actuated and fork mounted) to the brakes if I had the fittings!
This user High Fived sebwiers!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension