Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

gs1175, "time slip" retro build

120K views 1K replies 68 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
as all my posts for this build were done in the winter build off i thought that any work done after that had closed should have a new thread in the build forum :rock:

so here we go with the continuing evolution :)

last night i fitted the new BLACK levers and bandit mirrors & R&G bar ends.
its the little things that make the difference

#2 ·
Yup. Subbed. I gotta see where the sexy beast continues to go.

#6 ·
I never dropped a comment on the build off thread, but this bike, from the beginning, has been one of my personal list of top 10 best builds on CF. It is difficult to believe that thing started life in a dealership as a thin tire, spindly fork monstrosity with too much superbike DNA to ever deny it being the moto equivalent to King feckin' Kong. Then something like two decades pass and it ends up in the shed of a guy with a vision, gets torn down to the very core of what makes it a bike, and rebuilt with all the modern amenities that make it what it is now... and I'm unsure there is even a label to use for these updated superbikes.... they are just all alone in what they are. Every single one of these sorts of builds are totally hand crafted masterpieces of ingenuity and refinement.

Every update the build off thread got I was clicking furiously to open the link and see where it went next, how far it would go before it was "done". You didn't disappoint at all. I'm actually quite jealous that I haven't even finished the engine mounts on my GS1000 "Superbike" build and you've already completed an entire bike!

Looks stunning, and probably rides just as good as she looks on the side stand! :letsride:

#10 ·
Totally agree.. the term Restomod comes to mind, but it hardly does this gorgeous beast justice. Amazing job

Then something like two decades pass and it ends up in the shed of a guy with a vision, gets torn down to the very core of what makes it a bike, and rebuilt with all the modern amenities that make it what it is now... and I'm unsure there is even a label to use for these updated superbikes.... they are just all alone in what they are. Every single one of these sorts of builds are totally hand crafted masterpieces of ingenuity and refinement.

Looks stunning, and probably rides just as good as she looks on the side stand! :letsride:

#7 ·
Thanks Ratfighter, that is a very kind write up, the finished item has far surpassed anything that i could have dreamed of at the start of the build, she is a dream that i have had an itch to accomplish for a very long time, I am very glad that i got round to assembling her.
if all the positive comments that i have received from this and other Forums, are anything to go by, then i think i got it just as it should be.

Steve

#9 ·
As i had changed the clutch, i had her up and down the street (private road honest officer) for a quick try out, all seems to be good :D
steering lock still to sort, just need to finish the bracket, get it welded and then its in for MSVA.
have filled in all the application paperwork, just need to post it when i have the date for a free day to get it done.
should have it sorted within the next two weeks!

#14 ·
Isnt it all just the fuckin same!!!!!! thought i had everything sorted and ready for the test!!
did a bit of work on the fuel lines, fitted a dry brake connector, fitted the seat with pillion strap and fitted the last fuse i needed, started her up, got the rev counter/shift lights set.
after all that went through everything to make sure it all worked with engine off.
then dont know why??? but did it all again with the engine running, fuckin indicaters flask fast/intermittently FFS, so looks like i have the problem Cookie had, only with my indies not my dash! i wonder if it is my stick coils causing it?
anyone got any ideas?, as i am shite with electrikery :oops:

#15 ·
fuckin indicaters flask fast/intermittently FFS, so looks like i have the problem Cookie had, only with my indies not my dash! i wonder if it is my stick coils causing it?
Just to clarify, is it your indicators that are flashing or the idiot lights for them that are flashing?

#19 ·
Re: gs1175, "time slip" retro build

If you have LED blinkers with a standard relay it won't blink fast. It will blink slow, or not at all, due to no load/ amp draw.

A fast blinking blinker is usually a sign low load/ bad bulb. Burnt out LED? Loose wire? But it seems you've seen them all blink, so I'm pretty much just wasting bandwidth at this point. :)

#25 ·
WELL AS OF THIS MOMENT I AM AS HAPPY AS A DOG WITH TWO DICKS!!!!
got the second LED relay and it was the same as the other! when the engine was running the indies went to shit,
so today i went to Halfords with my trade card, purchased two cheap sets of normal bulb indicators, re fitted the OEM
relay and all is good.
everything works as it should, weather the engine is running or not, will leave it like this till after the MSVA, then once i have a certificate of road worthiness i will again try to fit the LED's, especially as they cost me £120 FFS.
but for now i will leave everything and go have a tin (or two)and relax in the knowledge that i have all bases covered that i have control over.

#27 ·
Re: gs1175, "time slip" retro build

Might have to put a resistor in line somewhere for the LEDs. I remember reading that had to be done to get them to work proper...can't remember where I read it :-/ strange the LED flasher didn't help.
going to play around with them when i get a chance, but i have received a few "tips" on how to sort it, i will let you know how i get on :)

#31 ·

bike went straight through the test with no problems, noise test was 97.5Db, limit is 99Db :party-smiley:
emissions, the one that i was dreading, as i had no idea what it was running like was .5, limit was 4.6, Alister (tester) said he had never had to fail a motorcycle for emmisions!!!
He said he wished all the vehicles brought in for test were built half as well as mine!
Guy was a real gent, not your usual jobsworth that you get working for government agency's, had a good chat with him, realy cant see why people are put off the MSVA test, really wasnt as bad as had been made out to be!
he said that he could usually spot the ones that were going to fail by first impressions on seeing the bike.
said that at the moment most of the Chinese import bikes were failing there first MOT at the three year point (initial MOT)
also pointed out that at the moment DVLA are issuing registration plates in line with the engines age, not the frame on builds like mine, said that they are only giving out "Q" plates reluctantly.
so i am going to write a covering letter to DVLA pointing out the aging cert from Suzuki on the frame and ask if they will take it into consideration and issue me a 1977 plate

#32 ·
That's awesome!

And tonight you should get some Red Knucks too!

Blast in the sun then a cool beer or 10 to celebrate?

#37 ·
That's awesome!

And tonight you should get some Red Knucks too!
Geez, red knucks for nearly failing an emissions test? That's a bit harsh, Cookie. :(

I'll give ya some green knucks to offset whatever shenanigans Cookie is up to. And because you earned it. :)

Nice work and congrats on the win bud.

#34 ·
Hell yes man, all that's left to do is ride the piss out of it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.