Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator (Bobber build - if I can get it running) - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator (Bobber build - if I can get it running)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Norseman
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 03:56 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Norseman is a NOOB
Default Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator (Bobber build - if I can get it running)

Hi there awesome group!

My brother-in-law gifted me his Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator (80s) that has been sitting in my father-in-law's shed for the last 15+ years. I just brought it home to New York from Florida.

My plans is to turn this into a Bobber style motorcycle - if I can get it running.

Last year we tried to start it but the motor would not turn. Fresh gas and charged battery. My brother-in-law mentioned that when he put it away it was running but probably needed a new wire harness but before I try to locate one is there any workarounds I can use to use try to confirm that the motor will turn? Perhaps splice some wires directly from the battery to the starter?

I will probably need to remove the carburetor and give it a good cleaning first. Will also drain all the old gas (I drained it last year and put fresh gas together with a full bottle of Sea-Foam to help clean out and gunk).

Thanks,

Par
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	622.6 KB
ID:	107036  
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Norseman!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Norseman
NoObie
Noobie
Norseman is a NOOB
Default Re: Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator (Bobber build - if I can get it running)

Some more pics!
Attached Images

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:56 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

strip everything off it and i reckon there a good build in there
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I performed a carb clean on one of those. It was the HARDEST remove and replace of carbs I’ve ever done. There was not enough slack in the throttle cables and only about 1.25” between the carb inlets and the airbox.

Not sure how well the Zl600’s respond to pod filters but it’d be worth researching.

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Norseman
NoObie
Noobie
Norseman is a NOOB

Hi Yantosh,

Yes, I am going to strip it down to the frame, motor, tank, the ugly wheels (unless you guys recommend some others that are cheap that might fit), and maybe keep the front light that I think is pretty cool with the built in Left; Right; High Beam; Head Lamp; and Oil indicator (see added pics).

I want to put a single seat on for sure and maybe a wider rear tire if that is possible without major modifications. Thinking about a leather tool box behind the seat to cover up the shock mounts (I want to keep some form of shocks in the back, probably new ones). Not sure about the handle bars at this point...perhaps some straight-ish lower ones instead of the current taller ones.

Added a picture of the inside of the tank...I don't remember it being this rusty last year when I filled it up to the top (from a half tank)...perhaps there were some rust on the top part that the Sea Foam loosened up?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	107048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	107050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2216.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	107052  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Norseman
NoObie
Noobie
Norseman is a NOOB

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the heads up on the carb cleaning challenge...I guess I'm going to have some fun with that part of the build. Thank you also for the pods suggestion, I will definitely look into that.

Par
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:56 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

going to be a fun build!!

any bike is worth a 2nd chance on the road

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-30-2019, 04:33 AM   #8
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

instead of pods you might want to try the standard air box rubbers with RamAir foam filters, they tend to give better results

Tank don.t look too bad, drain , clean and coat with with WD40 or something similar ?

state of the forks i would look for a newer front end, much easier way to fit nicer front wheel

without converting to chain, rear swap not so simple
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 23 Times in 20 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Do a mock up design on the computer first, gives you something to aim for and try different things out. Looking forward to the build
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Norseman
NoObie
Noobie
Norseman is a NOOB

Hi James Hambleton,

Thanks for the suggestion on doing a mockup. Snapped a picture and drew something up of what I had in mind, see attached.

The thing behind the seat is a tool box cylinder thingy.

The seat I will try to make myself by banging some metal into shape. Any suggestions on how thick metal to get?

Found a discussion board that focus on this bike (ZL-OA.com) that I also posted on. They had some manuals for the bike that I downloaded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Vision, 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	107058  
This user High Fived Norseman!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes