Leroy's XT500Retro - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Leroy's XT500Retro

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover
Leroy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:43 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Leroy's XT500Retro

Time to move on the wheels. Cleaned everything with duco thinner and masked

And painted with the spray gun like I did with rest of the bike.
The front hub was in good condition, so no paint for it.
I know it's not that durable like powder coating, but I have a tight budget.
I have already bought a small powder coating system and I'n on the build procedure of an oven!
But antil I get ready with it, my spray gun will do the job.

Ι get the wheels to a tire shop this noon to assembly the spokes and tomorrow I will have it back
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Leroy!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover
Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Leroy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Wow a F-U! Was that so shity paint job on that wheels?
Well here they are, assembled

Now I have to chainge the bearings. I thought that the XT hub had a 17mm axle.
I was wrong. It is 15mm, But.
I had to put some parts together to see how it will look like

Bolted the clocks at the stok mounts of the top clamp. I don't like them, they stick to much high.
I will try to mount them a litle lower. Maybe at the same height of the top clamp.

Here is my getto tool I've make to remove the bearings.
I've found it from an other forum.
I know that my english are not that good so I've took some pictures.
I think it's a swing arm pivot from a CRM but I'm not that sure.
Anyway it have 15mm diameter so it's exactly what I need.
I cut it to 4/4

Took an old bolt and sharpen it at the end like a wedge

Heated the hub and hammered the bolt in to the axle

After that with a lilte hammering to the back side of the axle, the bearing is off the hub.

Next stop to the SKF shop
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

I bought new bearings and sealer
Bored the ring in the middle to 17mm

The old bearings aren't that bad, the grease looks like rust. My phone just don't take good pictures at the low light

I've also bought those cheap rear foot pegs. I'm not sure If I'm going to use them but it's good to have an option

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

Ok, the bearings are in and the wheel is out of center.
The XT hub is bigger and before I get the wheels for assembly I didn't take the time to measure it.
I thought that it will be the same

There are two options that I'm thinking for now.
1) Reassembly the wheel with the other hub
2) Remove the speedo drive and clocks and buy an other with a magnet on the wheel.
I like those clocks and I don't want to remove it for now.

Any way I need a break from this. Started working on the headlight and clocks.
I've made a bracket for the headlight. It's almost ready I just have to paint it.
Also moved the clocks lower and closer to the top clamp and took the bike out to take some pictures.

Feeling already beter. I might remake the brackets to move the headlight a litle lower and closer to the forks
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

had to reroute the uper oil line. The stock route of the line was at the right side of the cylinder. So I had this

And now I have this

A new o-ring for the piece of mind

And routed the line under the fuell tank

I've test fit the carbs too. It's a perfect fit.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

That's a late update. This weekend done some work.
I had to fire up the engine to make sure that everything was ok after the assembly of the engine.
Well it wasn't everything ok, white smoke come off the exhaust
Took the head off to replace the valve seals. I had to do it the first time. You know, do it right or do it twice

Next was the carbs

Fired up the bike and it's working good, but with out the mufler the bike was very loud. Next time I will upload a video.
I'm not sure If I can clean the headers. I will try it before I buy an other.
I've bought a new central key switch, stripped the wire harness to figure out how many MTW connectors I need and ordered from corsa technic. They should be here in two weeks.
Here is the central key switch installed

Worked a litle to the headlight brackets too. It's a litle lower now but I can't move it closer to the frame. I need some room for the speedo cable. Not 100% the way I want it, but not bad at all.

And now it's time for pictures

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

I bought a left sv 650 caliper for the sv forks. Painted sv and rear stok XT calipers, stok front master cylinder and clutch lever mount.

Finaly I replaced the wheel hub. Painted in black and send it for assembly.
That lead me, to go back to the stok diameter of the brake rotor. Now I need to find an oversized disk for this hub, cause this rotor is very disappointing to watch after the 320mm I had...

The caliper is bolted to the original mounts and here you can see, how small is this rotor. The stok sv650 rotor is 290mm I think.

Trying to fit the battery and the rest of the electrics. I need to be ready when the connectors arrive so I can take care the wiring loom.

An a pic just because

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

The connectors arrived, time to DW

The worst part of the build. For me at least..

I was trying to add the terminals to the bar end indicator lights, but the wire coulden't handle the pressure of the crimping pliers.
Too cheap and thin. Here it is compared to a piece of the bike's loom

So I striped down the indicator lights to replace those wires. Job done, much better now.

The front half loom is ready. Tested all and working properly

Now I have the other half to take care.

And that's what trashed so far

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
dodgerdad
NoObie
Noobie
dodgerdad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Flip Offs: 0
dodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of lightdodgerdad is a glorious beacon of light

Coming along very nicely. You're putting in quality time, for sure!

Great photo documentation, by the way.

When you see me, it's already too late.
dodgerdad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
Leroy
GURU
CF Lover

I wish I have more time to work on her. Trying to do my best in my garage with the tools, knowledge and time I've got. Thank you!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads