Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Bleeding a lift... something I should know but don't

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mcantar 
#1 ·
So I picked up a lift off Craigslist today. It's a normal hydraulic style, but also has a pneumatic thingadooder on it for attaching an air compressor. Problem is, it doesn't really work.

The manual/foot control lifts it about halfway... it doesn't bind or anything, just stops lifting. The air compressor doesn't lift it at all (yeah, it's got enough pressure). I bought it anyway, figuring that best case it just needs to be bled and worst case I can get a new jack for it.

But here's the thing... I have no idea what screw does what, and even if I did I'm not sure of the procedure to bleed it.

Pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
There's another screw similar to the black ones pictured but smaller (pictured ones are 8mm allens, small one is probably a 4mm), on the side of the jack opposite the pneumatic thing. Maybe that's the bleeder?

#5 ·
+1 on too little oil. You'll love that thing to bits, guaranteed!

Reactions: mcantar
#7 ·
Good call Mike. It's a Central Hydraulics part number 94121.

I found a manual, checked out the parts diagram, and filled it. It took almost 14oz of fluid, which seemed excessive. Then I was able to cycle it both manually and pneumatically, which was cool, but when I re-checked the fluid level it was low again.

Turns out it's leaking out of the lowering shaft thingy at the base of the ram. Worth trying to rebuild it myself or should I just bring it into a hydraulic shop?

#9 ·
Thanks Shiny. I think I'll go try to pull the lowering plunger thing and see if I can pull just that part and then replace the seal on it, rather than rebuild the entire thing. There's a place about 45 min away, you bring them a seal of any shape/size/material/application and they match it right there on the spot for dirt cheap.

#11 ·
So I pulled the release valve out. Surprisingly easy to do so, almost makes me a little embarrassed for being so timid about it.
The o-ring had a little nick on it, doesn't look like enough to effect the seal but it's the only blemish on it and if it's not that then it means there's some more serious issues going on. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Planning on going to get a new o-ring in the morning, I'll post up with the results.

Shiny, pm me your email and I'll send you the manual I found for it. It has an exploded diagram of the air motor and may... probably... have a part number for the assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.