River Table 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > River Table 2

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default River Table 2

As I mentioned in this thread: Look here, the first one I made was a test run for a much bigger, thicker, and more elaborate table. This thread is to compile pics of the creation of the bigger one.

It started with someone handing me a Duc Multistrada swingarm and asking me if I could make a coffee table using it as a base. His other asks were that we use a motorcycle wheel as the base, that the table be 18" high, that the table should be mounted at the hub end, and the table should pivot on the hub axis as well as at the pivot bolt end.

He had bought the MS arm to steal the drive parts for a VFR project, and had a euro-only VFR1200X wheel available, so that was our starting point.

I measured the bolt pattern and designed a couple parts to fit either side of the wheel with a common bore

Counterbored both parts

And turned up a pivot axle and stanchions

I saved some swarf for later

Added a thrust bearing set from a Kurt vise rebuild kit and this is most of the base assembly

Next came the tube that would become the base of the tabletop.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: River Table 2

With that tube in place, I sorted out the height of the table top.

Turned out a little slicing and dicing would be necessary, so cut down the star base and the arm to suit

Then it was time to shop for wood. I was tasked with finding a piece of black walnut with lots of features and figures. Luckily have a place about 30min away that has such things

I found one with a super nice feather and burl, it had a couple cracks and nice grain to boot. This piece of wood measured ~10'2" long and 20" across the widest point and cost just under $500 after tax!

We decided to use these sections, to end up with a river table top measuring ~24" x 50"

I should add this was all done long distance... customer in TN and I'm in NY... lots of texts, phone calls, and mock up pics exchanged to get things just right.

It was also around this time I had to start dreaming up a support for the weight of the table, since it would be heavier than we originally planned. We already have a wheel and swingarm, so might as well throw a shock in the mix for proper suspension

Cutting 2" thick walnut was fun

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Little squirt of water to check out the figure... wowza

With the table sized and weight estimated, I designed the rest of the parts that would connect the wood to the hub

Hold that thought, sort out the support first...

Also, save this for later

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Guy called me up and said he wants wooden keys on the visible side for added effect, I said I've never done it but I'm game... we looked it up and found they're called dovetail joint/butterfly joint or dutchman's key, take your pic. I call them tedious but fun... it took me 2hrs each to cut, shape, and fit them to the walnut. I cut the keys from red oak pallet wood for a nice contrast.

I embellished the split on this piece a bit for looks, and to make sure the resin would flow in nicely.

I sunk all 4 about 1/4" deep making sure to minimize the gaps around the edges and glued them in place. After the glue dried, I knocked them down and hand planed them flush.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Back to some metal work... check out this sweet high tech welding fixture!

Worked perfectly

Aaand back to the wood, I cleaned out the soft area and sealed the pieces with poly to save on resin

We decided the resin pour would be clear all the way through, vs having a color at the bottom. Instead of using tinted resin we did a layer of aluminum chips and mixed lathe swarf. These were the choice pickings from my lathe tray...

He opted against the heat colored steel stringers. I rinsed all the bits with brake cleaner and dried them in the sun on paper to get most of the cutting oil and dirt off.

That stuff was layered in the first pour along with some sections of chain. Somehow I lost my pics of setting up the form. What I did was tape a large formica coated desk top to a workbench, then cut pieces of formica coated mdf to form the outer dimensions of the table. Those were taped to the desk top on the outside, and inside I ran beads of silicone caulking in all the seams, plus a dam at the one corner to save resin.

I poured a base coat 1/4" thick and set the wood in that, then added my metal fill and used the balance of the resin to start filling cracks and voids.

I had a specific list of items to be included in the river, added them in layers.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

I had started pouring when my guy called and said he had a last minute item on the way... cure time on the resin is 4hr minimum, 10hr maximum before needing sanding between coats... so I had to stretch the pours out till the last minute item arrived. Made for long nights/days because I was not going to sand around all that stuff!

Last minute item in

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Couldn't flood the top while in the form without wasting a bunch of resin, so called it quits here till I could pop it out and tape up the low spots.

And out of the form... guess it needed more resin in that first pour! also air being pushed down from filling some of the pith and voids created some frozen puddle effect. Called my guy and he said he's cool with the extra visual interest, don't bother flooding it, good with me...

So I got to work carving off the excess with knives, chisels, and carbide burrs

Bubbles with thin tops were opened, those well encased were left alone. (my ego said I should leave them there for shinyribs )

Pennies were used to raise the smaller piece level with the larger piece as the larger piece had picked up a slight warp after cutting which I didn't get all the way back out.

Chips looking pretty cool down here

Top and sides scuffed for flood coat

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

My plan for attaching the top to the hub base - bury bolts in the top, let threads come through and secure w nuts underneath. My guy sent me 4 30mm spent shells. He has an uncle that flies Apaches, and legend has it these 4 rds were used to dispatch some Taliban.

Since he had 4, I decided to chop them up and use the primer ends to cover the bolt heads, rather than sinking 1 full round in the resin. I printed the projectiles because I happened to find a file for them on thingiverse. They'll come in handy for a future project I think.

Turned up & welded on 4 tubes for the bolts to fall through

And had a look

It was here I realized the small roller foot I made wasn't going to cut it, more on that later.

Seems I forgot pics of the hole layout but here's roughly where they go.

I needed to make a special tool to ensure my holes would stay aligned as close as possible. Spent a few minutes scratching around the shop and came up with this lathe bit that I brazed to a 1/2" boring bar. Had to pick the right size bit to get the tool radius as close as possible to the cap size.

Stick that in the hole and attach drill on other side, boom, counterbore.

Then chisel a hex for the bolt head and glue the bolt and cap in place, repeat for other 3

And then prep for the flood coat. Nashua tape works great as a resin barrier, the resin doesn't dissolve this glue like it does masking tape.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Despite multiple coats of poly, the wood grain still had some air to give up so I had a handful of bubbles to deal with. I ground these out with a round carbide burr.

Otherwise looking PDG!

It was worth the extra work just to have it outside for a look. This wood is amazing in sunlight.

Happy to say the hub base fit the bolt studs perfectly ~

Redesigned roller foot test fitted

And a bit of cleanup work on the main base.

Final sanding of the table all over with 320 and a quick trip through the paint booth to seal everything in for good

Couple pints of clear do a lot for depth and clarity...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Final touch... blocked it down to 2500 wet and gave it a buff with compound and wax.

Last couple pieces of the puzzle. Locks for the rotating portions of the table. I chopped this CBR piston assembly to make them. The piston threads into the pivot bar and squeezes down on a custom spacer to lock that. The conrod piston end is fitted over a steel spacer welded to one of the hub clamp bolts. It has a 90 sweep to lock/unlock the hub rotation. I fitted the rod to the spacer with a roll pin, the rod can be taken off if desired.

I wish I had some better pics of this completed, but the weather wasn't playing along. I shot these the night I packed it for delivery.

Sorry, not sorry if I broke your internet...

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion