Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

The laser is tied up at work for the next week or 3 with the holidays rolling in. I could draw this bracket up and wait but I dont much want to. Got a ton of other projects waiting to be done. So we'll go at it a different way and maybe get it done a bit faster

Layed out the 3 main points and a bunch of other lines eventually made this

Trying to decide how I'm going to keep the caliper from spinning now so I can finish carving the bracket. I could weld a small slotted bracket to the frame that the caliper bracket would bolt to. A short brake arm is also an option

DimestaK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived DimestaK!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of

Finished cutting on the caliper bracket. Might come back at a later date and hog out the center of it and I may not. Also made the frame tab

There was about .750 space between the brackets. Made this threaded deal to fill the gap

And glued together on the axle spacer

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Calipers hung and frame tab is tacked on, chains on and wheels aligned to the backbone. I can happily say I now have a roller I still need turn a .250" spacer to get the front sprocket in line with the rear though.

Threw the fender back on to start getting a game plan for it. I'm not sure but considering chopping it flush with the top tubes. Maybe thin the sides a bit so its not as beefy looking. There isnt enough room to run the fender all the way down without removing the side for chain clearance. Seems pointless at that point for the extra work

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Ordered a front sprocket Monday. Turns out there wasn't enough available splines to simply space the one I had out. It should be here by the weekend so I can get that on.

Haven't made up my mind about the fender length either. Actually haven't really thought to much about it to be honest. Busy with the holidays rolling in and all that fun. Length aside, I still needed a way to mount it. So that's what I've been working on here and there at work. This is going to be the frame mount right behind the rider seat. Bungs will be rotated down so they wont be seen

Here's the start of the bracket that will weld to the fender and bolt to the above tube.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

1 fender bracket finished up now.

And mounted bottom side

Top side

Don't want to run round or square rod for the fender struts. Seems to be what everyone else does. Thinking some sheetmetal ones with speed holes might do the trick
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Over a month since last update and ......

I ordered a bolt

I have also done a ton of doodling trying to get the fender bracket idea from my head onto this bike. Luckily sharpies last a while and I have a good supply of paperboard because most ended up in the trash bin. These 3 though are the better of em

Last one is a little dark but it's the one closest to where I'm going. Brackets going to wrap up over the top of the fender and tie into the other side
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #17
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Got the mounts drawn up and had them burned out a couple days ago. Also have this seat pan though I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use it. Its a bit narrow I think, but will work good for mockup

Tapped the axle plates so the fender will bolt through from the inside hiding the bolt. I may have jumped the gun a bit today and went ahead and threw some roll in the brackets. Should have drilled the holes first but Im trying to get this fender done so I can put the bike back down on the ground. Hard to visualize much when you cant see the side profile of the bike

Starting chopping up some 1.750 stainless pie cuts for exhaust today also

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM   #18
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Woke up to a rainy sunday. Decided it would be the perfect day to get some shop time in since I was stuck indoors. Had a fender that needed to be mounted and a little 4wheeler project needing some attention, so it was perfect.

After a bit of thought I ditched the over the fender bracket idea and opted for a simpler smoother transition. A little cutting here

A little welding, heating, shaping, smoothing and the end result wasn't to bad. Actually quite pleased with it. The sides flow into the fender quite nicely.

But when I stepped back and tried looking at the entire bike as a whole, it didnt look quite right. Looks nothing like I seen in my mind. Its too bubbly and curvy. Doesn't match the rest of the bike and kinda makes the bike look soft. Even with speedholes drawn all over it doesn't change

Told myself I'd think about it before starting over. Thats a lot of time to scrap. Guess in the back of my mind I already decided though as I made a set of fender strut bungs today

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #19
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Version 2.0. Much happier with how this ones turned out even though its not far from what most already do. Sometimes simpler is better I guess and it's definitely strong enough for a rider to sit on if the situation ever rises. Tried to keep the welds as small as possible also so they weren't as noticeable.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #20
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Been working on this bike a minute here and there when I can. Cant seem to find time to actually do any serious work except at work

Made some stainless spacers for the shock. The ones on there were a bit skinny for my liking

Picked up this little piece for the seat also. Couldn't find any scrap brass and by the time I bought the piece needed I'd have been in for almost the cost of this part, plus I would have to machine it still

Cope was a bit off but that was a simple fix

Couple quick tabs

and the seat pan now hinges

And mounted on the bike. I've played with a bunch of different seat angles and this is what I'm thinking. It's nice to be able to finally sit on the bike and see how it feels

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads