Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Postman dropped off a package. May have blown my own budget but hey, whatever.

Looks even better on the motor. Going to have to move the petcock now but that shouldn't be to bad

DimestaK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived DimestaK!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #22
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of

Worked on the seat today getting that taken care of and rolled the bike outside for a bit. Springs to stiff as if sits but I can take care of that easy enough.

Need to get my tail in gear if I want to finish this bike. Still a bunch of fab to do ( battery box, headlight, exhaust, oil tank, and now fuel tank ) Plus the wiring and plumbing
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #23
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Getting started on this battery box. Sat down on the computer and drew up a simple box. Threw a couple random holes in it for good measure and got it burned out this am

Formed it during lunch break. Try and weld it up tomorrow of possible

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #24
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Finished up the box yesterday. Need to draw up a top plate to secure the battery still

It'll go somewhere in this general location

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #25
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Battery hold down strap is burned out now.

Been playing around a bit with the pie cut exhaust also. First pieces were too tight an inside radius for what I wanted. Never really tried to make certain radius's before, always just did whatever looked about right. So its been a bit of a learning curve but I think I got it now

Also picked up this tank for $10. Coworker robbed the petcock and filler bung for a mini bike fail. Not sure if I'm going to use it, chop it up, or make wall art but I couldnt turn it down.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #26
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

A lighter spring for the mtb shock came in yesterday. Got that swapped over and it's a bit better. Seat now has a little bit of spring to it. Could probably drop another 50lbs or so but that be it. Don't was it to be too springy so I'll try this one first

While I was in the shop I had the brilliant idea to throw this other tank on the bike. It's crazy wide and would need a decent chunk removed from the center, but from the side it doesn't look half bad. It's large enough, that if I plan it out right when chopping it down, I may be able to hide 3 quarts of oil inside also.

Thats something ive been trying to sort out the past 2 weeks or so without much luck. The MTB shock takes up the space for an oil tank. Could fab up a chin spoiler tank but I don't think that will look right. Other thing is 2 small pill shaped tanks mounted somewhere on each side of the bike Not really sure about that either
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #27
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Only one way to figure this out. Chopped 4.5" out the center today. If this doesn't work I'll chop it back apart and make wall art and use the old tank

With the two halves in hand, I decided take the guess work outa this and see just how much room would be needed for the required 3 qts of oil. Filled the side with exactly 3 qts of water. Turns out it isn't nearly the amount I was thinking. Half of one of the tanks halves is all.

Of course I'll build the oil side a bit larger so theres a bit of air space. But in theory I should be able to do this and pick up a bit more room for gas also. First and fun parts going to be gluing these 2 tank halves back together. Neither side tank profiles matches the other
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #28
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Took a bit of pushing and pulling but Ive managed to get a decent shell started. Got a couple an fittings on order also. Just need to find a couple caps

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #29
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Got a bottom fitted to the tank now

And formed up a tunnel for the backbone

3 of the 4 fittings ordered have arrived. These are for the oil tank. Petcock bung should be here soon

Still debating on gas/ oil cap setup. Probably sit down tonight and find something. Also need to be thinking about a gauge. Got an old small Koso unit I might try and use
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #30
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Had a bit of spare time this morning so I started working on cutting the tunnel in the tank.

May have ran into I bit of a snag with the steering. With the tank on Im only going to get about 28* of steering from center, so 56* total. Something tells me thats not enough but I cant seem to recall how much is necessary. It would only really matter in the parking lots but if anyone knows that magic number, I'm all ears

Jumped over to the headlight setup I'll be running for a minute. Ran this projector on an old bike I built and I'm thinking it will work good with this one also. With a little updating as it seen better days

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads