'98 SRAD - butterslax - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > '98 SRAD - butterslax

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default '98 SRAD - butterslax

so by popular demand.. of one person.. and my boredom i've started a thread..

bit late to the party.. as I started this last winter.. so ill do a bit of a debrief. well copy/paste shit from another forum..

so.. to start it off, bought the bike in july or june.. it came 'streetfightered' well over here that pretty much means any bike without a fairing, which also means stunt bike apparently. paid 1000 dollars for it.. so around 550 pounds ish.. It was pretty ratty but came with a few good parts.. the 750 front end and a k4 ti header etc.

took about a month to get it where I thought it was at least rideable, bike came with new cables so I threw them on, made some risers so I could run bars.. took about 3 cans of degreaser/brake cleaner to get it somewhat clean, did a full service.. valves/clutch/carbs etc.. added a speedo as the stock clocks didn't really work, added a tls fender which fits.. but doesn't really fit tlr's/gsxrs, couple other things here and there..

for the rest of the summer didn't do alot to it, polished the frame while waiting for carb parts.. which can be hard to get in canada fml. painted the wheels a nice hi viz green, added some braided lines, made a new muffler.. think racefit.. but a real racefit costs just as much as the bike did so that wasn't happening. added a trailtech speedo which is heaps better than the bicycle speedo and only 4 times the cost, threw on some ebay headlights.. probably missing a couple other things..

took it off the road over winter.. not that it snows here.. but it is very very wet and I don't like getting wet much. just been working cleaning more stuff up, re did most of the wiring, everything lives under the carbs/tank now including the battery, made a new subframe for a flat track style seat re doing the front end to a number plate kind of deal to match the tail. trying to lighten it up as much as i can within a decent budget, it weighed 390 wet at the end of last summer, if I can get that to 375 ish I'd be pretty happy. Got a hold of some protek rearsets to replace the mismatched ones, new LED turn signals/brake lights.. thinking of covering the tank in carbon just so it matches the other body work.

Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mongoose!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: '98 SRAD the unuglifying build.

so it's finished.. for now.. I decided to put together one of those really detailed lists of all the things I've done..

so a '98 suzuki 600 srad

Srad 750 forks and yokes
750 Tokico 6 pots, 3/4" master cylinder
Tl 1000s fender
Carbon screen with an h3 projector
Spiegler braided lines
Renthal bars on 2" billet risers
Rizmoa bar end mirrors
Tailtech speedo/tach
Radiantz LED blinkers
40mm/r6 throttle tube

'99 engine and ecu
K&N filter
K1/k2 1000 titanium headers
Racefit-esque muffler
Re-jetted to suit
APE chain tensioner
-1/+1 gearing

Carbon wrapped tank
Carbon wrapped swingarm
GP speedworks 750 tail
aluminum under tray
Homebrew seatpan/subframe/platemount etc.
Protek rearsets
Billet brake arm
5mm rear shock shim
Galfer rear braided line
Rear rez. delete
Radiantz LED taillight array

all I can think of at the moment.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

So yeah.. A quick up to date.. it's winter number two for the bike thus needs more things.

picked up a vfr arm arm for it.. hacked off a bunch of the frame lobe and it fit.. so I'm happy. actually hacked about 15mm off the inside of the frame, and I have another 2 mill I can take off the thrust washer in the swingarm if need be.. but the math says this should be a ok for wheel alignment.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
Predator6R
ZX-6R Fighterer
Fighterer
Predator6R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:42 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

That muffler looks amazing man nice work

Can't wait to see to the progress on the SSSA.
Predator6R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

got the pivot arm all made up.. extended the vfr pivot around 40mm's so I could reference the gsxr threaded section on both ends had to make a spacer for the right side, and a bushing for the left to take up the difference in pivot diameter..

now i'm thinking of using the vfr linkage and make a offset dogbone that will pick up on the stock gsxr mount.. also have to make a new upper shock mount.. don't have that material on hand unfortunately.
This user High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

after a bunch of staring and then even more swearing.. i decided I fucked it up. So, had to cut a bunch off the other side of the frame.. Though no biggie.. as it turns out I can now use the stock mounts for the shock and also the stock linkage, it's not centered but it's usable. at least for now.

it does turn out there's not a whole bunch of room for stuff, as the vfr and gsxr take very different linkages there's not good/decent way to connect them. basically you have to drop down then go forward bit of an experiment in steel before wasting 100 bucks in aluminum.

also anyone order those cheapo mufflers off ebay? I ordered a couple haven't got them yet, hopefully they're good enough to use.. they have a 38mm inlet, but I figure using two makes it ok for a 50mm header.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #7
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

got it all bolted up and rolling.. looks good.. will look better with black wheels..

for w/e reason though the rear end is way way softer now.. at least more than I remember so I grabbed a k7 1000 shock for the rear should perk it up a bit.. i'm losing some travel but well see should be ok.

been doing the exhaust the last few days.. the pipe I picked up for the mid pipe didn't exactly fit, so had to make an adapter.. works well now though.

what people never tell you about machining is.. you buy metal... then you throw most of it away..

mufflers seem ok.. a bit heavy but.. imo not a bad purchase at 50 bucks a pop.. sounds decent too.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
Predator6R
ZX-6R Fighterer
Fighterer
Predator6R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:42 AM
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Predator6R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Got a clip of those pipes? Those look fantastic man, what brand are the pipes?

Black wheels will look nice man can't wait to see more.
Predator6R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2016, 01:47 AM   #9
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

brand? dunno cheap china ebay stuff..

short clip... they really bring out the grenade I have for a motor..

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

I've always thought that the SRAD makes a good base for a project, the frames look good when they're not hidden behind plastic, and as soon as that boat-like tail unit is removed. Keep up the good work ;-)
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes