Converting Mechanical Speedo to Electric? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Converting Mechanical Speedo to Electric?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
RedEye669
Candy Paint Whore
CF Lover
RedEye669's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 9 Posts
RedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Converting Mechanical Speedo to Electric?

I've got a few old bikes with cable speedos I'd like to do fork swaps on, but keep the stock gauge cluster. On something like the VFR with individual gauges I could gut the stock speedo and put an aftermarket speedo in the housing, but the Sabre would be a lot more difficult. I really want to put an upgraded front end on it (preferably from my Blackbird, free hand-me-down parts ftw) but I also want to keep the funky 80s-tech graph paper background gauge cluster with the gear position indicator and lap timer and shit. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO EBRMC
You should be aware that going down this path will require a leap of faith. You will need to be prepared for that first chop - the one that renders your bike unrideable until the job is done.
My ADD/OCD random verbal diarrhea and occasionally even BUILD thread
RedEye669 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
lynchingacers
V-4 for 4 life

CF Addict
lynchingacers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 12 Times in 6 Posts
lynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of lightlynchingacers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Converting Mechanical Speedo to Electric?

maybe just get Small a digital speedo like a trail tech and trim the old cluster or make a new one to fit that and a tach side by side ....

could always add the funky graph paper thing just get someone to print up a vinyl sticker for you and overlay the trailtech and the tach whatever one you use

http://trailtech.net/endurance.html
maybe this wrapped in vinyl to match the rest of the dash and mold it into the left half somehow...
says 3.5X 1.80 x 0.75 inch rough measurements

i think you would need to use the magnetic pickups for speed could also put it on the rear wheel to clean things on the front end up some

only complication could be the backlight..
lynchingacers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
thaOrleanyte
Jarhead Supreme

thaOrleanyte's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 699
Flipped Off 518 Times in 242 Posts
thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

+1
thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
ninja98cafe
Fighter In Training
ninja98cafe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ninja98cafe is a good noobieninja98cafe is a good noobie

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

im pretty sure this can take the electronic signal and make it mechanical.
ninja98cafe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
RedEye669
Candy Paint Whore
CF Lover
RedEye669's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 9 Posts
RedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja98cafe View Post
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

im pretty sure this can take the electronic signal and make it mechanical.
Actually I think it does the opposite, it says it screws onto the cable, which means there has to be a cable drive in place. Which there won't be if I swap the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO EBRMC
You should be aware that going down this path will require a leap of faith. You will need to be prepared for that first chop - the one that renders your bike unrideable until the job is done.
My ADD/OCD random verbal diarrhea and occasionally even BUILD thread
RedEye669 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
ninja98cafe
Fighter In Training
ninja98cafe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:42 AM
ninja98cafe is a good noobieninja98cafe is a good noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye669 View Post
Actually I think it does the opposite, it says it screws onto the cable, which means there has to be a cable drive in place. Which there won't be if I swap the front end.
well thats what im trying to do haha i just dont see how it does, if you know please explain on this thread or the thread i already have about this

ninja98cafe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
genman40
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 10:42 AM
genman40 is a NOOB

Hi Need some advice street fighter project cbr600 1995 want get rid of old speedo system put electronic twin chrome speedo rev counter how best way wire it in wiring diagrams etc
genman40 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

The easiest way is to get a GPS speedo, that way you don't have to fit a speed sender at all. Second easiest is get a gauge that comes with a magnet sensor, and fit the magnet(s) that come with onto the front brake disc bolt(s). When wiring the rev gauge remember that you have a wasted spark system (two coils fire four cyls) so you have to get a gauge that can be set up for a four stroke two cyl engine for it to read right.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by genman40 View Post
Hi Need some advice street fighter project cbr600 1995 want get rid of old speedo system put electronic twin chrome speedo rev counter how best way wire it in wiring diagrams etc

go introduce yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights