Help! Harley wont run and its drivin me nuts! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion

Chopper Discussion All discussions about choppers go in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Help! Harley wont run and its drivin me nuts!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 45 Times in 29 Posts
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Help! Harley wont run and its drivin me nuts!

Ok, 84 fxrt, 1340 evo with compufire electronic ignition and s&s super e carb. Bike sat for 16 years. I bought it, changed the oils, rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires blah blah blah and it fired right up. Idled great but would never rev up, would just die with any throttle. Well while idling it died and now just wont start. Even when spraying starter fluid in the carb it doesnt want to start at all so im pretty sure its not a carb problem. Checked the ignition and timing looks right. Brand new plugs and wires and i have spark. Checked compression amd have 110lbs in both cylinders which is low but within spec. So in short, i have fresh fuel, spark, timing and compression and this thing just wont start and im not sure what to even check next so any help would be amazing. Maybe a leakdown test? Maybe valve seats are fucked or somthn? Im just at a loss now and its driving me crazy.

"Sex addicts are just guys who are telling the truth." - Rodney Ruxin
rubbersdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:02 AM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Help! Harley wont run and its drivin me nuts!

First thoughts are ignition issue. Just because you have spark doesn't mean it's enough. Second thing would be valve seals possibly
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

My last sportster was the same symptoms and a new set of coils was the fix
This user High Fived CK 187!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Very true. Ill try and look up the testing for the coil and see if maybe its just not firing hard enough.

This user High Fived rubbersdown!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersdown View Post
Very true. Ill try and look up the testing for the coil and see if maybe its just not firing hard enough.
Keep us updated
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp

Ok so.... i tested the primary circuit and its supposed to be between 2.5 and 3.1 ohm and mines reading 5.7 so thats def out of spec. And when testing secondary its supposed to read 11k and 14k ohms and i have nothing, no reading what so ever. So it sounds like the coils bad right? But it seems odd i have any spark at all with those readings but maybe its just weak garbage spark not strong enough to run the bike?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

Yep
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp

Ok so i lied. I had a weird feeling about my old multimeter so i went and bought a new one. So primarys are ar 6ohm and secondaries are at almost 20k ohm which is way out of the service limit so that makes more sense to me why it has spark but hella weak spark. Guess ill try and find a coil and give it a shot.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp

Ok, so new coil did the trick, fired right up. BUT it still wont rev, it stalls the second you give it throttle which seems like a fuel starvation problem to me. I do not have an inline filter, maybe i should just to see what its looking like. It seemed like fuel was flowing but i took the line off with tbe petcock open and when the fuel line is curved up to connect to the carb its barely dribbling out of the line so im hoping it just isnt filling the bowl all tbe way or fast enough to let it rev properly. I have an aux test tank that im going to hook to the carb tomorrow and see how it runs, ill report back.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp

Finally got it figure out. Was a combo of the bad coil not letting it start. Petcock being gummed up not letting the bowl fill all the way and the ignition timing was a little too advanced. Now shes starting easy and reving up without missing a beat and is sounding good. I think the guy installed the new ignition but never actually ran the bike with it on there so it wasnt set right. Close enough to let it start but too advanced to run correctly. Should have known better than to trust someone elses work.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion