Making a kids toy - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Art Related Section

Art Related Section All art related discussion goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Making a kids toy

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:46 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Making a kids toy

Thread cause...
-I like documenting shit, cause I forget fookin everything.
-Maybe someone will see this and wanna do some shit with their kid.
-You fuckers have some good ideas once in a while

So we got a new money->poop conversion machine last week, and the older model is probably feeling a little neglected. He's 3 and change, right about the age where he's wanting to be out in the garage with dad, and I was thinking this could make a fun project. Also I have some plywood leftover from my workbench I need to do something with.

They make these things called "busy boards" or "fidget boards" or some variation of that, basically a board full of shit for a kid to fuck with.
Like this:

Neat idea, but I want it to be
A) Cooler than the stuff on google, and
B) Have things that will instill some understanding of mechanical concepts that apply in the real world.

So I'm rummaging through my mountain of shit to find suitable trinkets. A chain over a couple sprockets is on the list, just need to figure out a way to secure them to the board. I'll stick a deadbolt door latch off in the corner. Working on an idea for a little door with a 3-bolt safe-style latching mechanism... turn the gear and it actuates latch bolts on the 3 non-hinged sides. Also wanna stick something on there that uses cams, that's a good concept to wrap his head around.

Big thing I'm wondering is what can be done with electrics. Easy enough to throw some switches on there but what will they do? One could flick an LED on, but that gets boring fast.

Started with actual progress today. Found a handful of gears that will mesh together, zapped a screw onto one of them. Making up a handle for the screw and a center pivot on the lathe when I get some time this week. Kiddo is I think a bit young to have around machines that can blind you or rip your face off, but he'll help with the install.

You guys have any cool ideas for this thing? Anything that makes noises is out, there's enough shit around here that sings/honks/beeps/drives me fucking crazy.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:46 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Making a kids toy

Shifter and gate for 5spd

Throttle tube that operates a butterfly valve in the board

Bar end mirror on that ^

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

a mechanical interlocked cover for the gears, that also lights up an led, stops fingers being jammed in gears and means the sequence has to be followed to turn gears?
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:46 AM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus

You could use swappable boards that have different wire paths built into them to do different things.

1. Have a small computer fan and LED halo ring on one, where if you use a dual switch board, they turn on individually (like a ceiling fan).
2. Have a set of single switchs with lines to create a puzzle and a set of LEDs with other lines on them (like a wiring diagram) You can switch on certain circuits and have the different colors appear easily.
3. A controller board with a few flashing options to use with the switches.
4. A clear / home made relay to show the principles of electromagnetism closing a switch.

Some simple suggestions, I left out the one with a jar and steel wool, might be unsafe.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Art Related Section