Help with Ducati Dry Clutch - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Help with Ducati Dry Clutch

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #1
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:06 AM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Help with Ducati Dry Clutch

Will have several questions about setting up a one-off Ducati dry clutch.

First question:
I read that an aluminum (plates) clutch should be used with an aluminum basket & hub, and a steel (plates) clutch should be used with a steel basket & hub.

The clutch hub I have is aluminum. The basket I have is aluminum, with stainless inserts. The clutch pack that's sold with the basket has steel plates.

Pretty sure I should use an aluminum (plates) clutch pack because of the aluminum hub, but the steel inserts will break down the aluminum fingers faster than steel.

Any advice from the Ducatistas??
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 309
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Help with Ducati Dry Clutch

Use seel plates due to the steel inserts in the aluminum basket. The outside fingers on the plates wear much faster than the grooves that contact the hub.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Pretty sure there aren't aluminum clutch plates. That wouldn't last very long. Or do you mean aluminum friction plates? I dont see the value in an aluminum basket either and dont have one. I have an aluminum pressure plate though. I bought Barnett friction/steel plates a while back and have been happy with them, but I wont run an aluminum basket.

Tl;dr only run steel plates in an aluminum basket if it has steel inserts or you will be replacing the basket along with your clutch plates.
Then ditch your cover completely and go ride.
imsolidstate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Pretty sure he means aluminum steels (or whatever you want to call them). I know you can get them for SV650s as well. http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/...tchplates.html

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

From my browsing, looks like there're 2 types of dry clutch packs for the Duc dry clutch- marketed as aluminum-type, or steel-type. Definitely says not to use the steel-type with an aluminum basket (without inserts).

I have the Barnett aluminum basket with stainless inserts. I believe steel-type pack is the appropriate choice, and also a steel hub.

Here's the problem. I'm not sure about my clutch hub. It's aluminum, and could be a one-off. Will try to verify the origin, but might not be able to. Last thing I want to do is mess up the hub, so I think using an aluminum-type pack will be easy to replace when it gets beat up by the Barnett basket.

The best move might be to get a pure aluminum basket. But, I'm thinking that the stainless inserts could give the hub more longevity.

Will post pics of the hub.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
Smoker
BLACK BELT

The Ducati pressure plates have a mark that needs to be aligned with a mark on the hub.

NOT my hub:

Of course, my custom hub doesn't have any alignment mark:

What's the purpose of the alignment mark???

Rear view of the pressure plate. Alignment mark is on top. Notice the left and right side cutouts are mirror image. Also, all of the 6 cutouts on each side are different.

What's the purpose of these cutouts???

Hope I don't need to join a Ducati forum to figure it out.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny
The alignment mark makes it all go together in one hit. Without them you may have to rotate the plate until the cutouts align with the notches in the hub.
Thanks, Kenny!

The shape of the cutouts made no sense compared to the outer shape of the hub.

You're totally correct. Without the alignment mark, I had to keep turning the plate, until I hit the correct alignment. Then the plate drops all the way down onto the hub. Never realized it dropped all the way down. Never hit the sweet spot before.
These people High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!