How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts) - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Fighter of the Year Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: How to Wrap your Tank in Carbon fiber (and do small parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwh998 View Post
i really hate painting so this is an awesome option for me. where do you get your carbon and resin from?
I personally really like West Systems epoxy, and you can find it at most boating/marine stores. they use it to repair boats. But you can use fiberglass resin. the kind you get at lowes or home depot. it works just fine.

as for cloth... first, figure out how much you will need. use and old sheet or something like that. you have to have about 1" -3" more than is necessary to actually cover the tank. then you can get it off ebay. $30 gets you 1 yard by 50" wide. that may not be the best deal.. so look around. that should be more than enough to do the tank i would think.

i hope this helps
~Chris

CBR 600 F2
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=33094

"Instigator" Virago Build-off thread:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=75337

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
bwh998
GURU
CF Pimp
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 50 Times in 43 Posts
bwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to all

hey man, you build knives? i was meaning to ask you a few things.
bwh998 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict
Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Knifemaker87 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Quote:
hey man, you build knives? i was meaning to ask you a few things.
yes i do. what do you want to know?

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
Knifemaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
bwh998
GURU
CF Pimp
bwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to allbwh998 is a name known to all

do you know anything about case hardening a mild steel blade? its a blade i made when i was a kid, i recently found it and wanted to harden it and make a handle for it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Quote:
do you know anything about case hardening a mild steel blade? its a blade i made when i was a kid, i recently found it and wanted to harden it and make a handle for it.
when you say mild steel, are you talking about low carbon steel? or just non-stainless? if it is a carbon blade it should be pretty easy to harden, though i dont know that you would want to case harden it. without enough carbon the steel will not harden up the same. is it something you want to do yourself?
thanks
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
This user High Fived Knifemaker87!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
bwh998
GURU
CF Pimp

no, its low carbon steel. i made the blade in jr. high shop class and it was just some scrap that the school had gotten for free.

i was thinking about case hardening it in powdered charcoal.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
bwh998
GURU
CF Pimp

still not sure how i would maintain 1800°F though.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Knifemaker87
builder in training

CF Addict

Quote:
still not sure how i would maintain 1800°F though.
how long do you need to maintain that? an oven is the best (and usually most expensive) way to keep things hot for long periods of time. i do all my heat treating in a propane forge and then quench in oil or water. if you want i can heat treat it for you.
thanks
~Chris

CBR 600 F2

"Inistigator" discussion
This user High Fived Knifemaker87!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

way off topic
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
endo
The Soft Serve Enigma
endo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Flip Offs: 73
Flipped Off 96 Times in 82 Posts
endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Most Complete Theme 

It is, but at least it's his own thread he's spamming

Project Redefyned 7/11

If I have to explain, you won't understand.
RIP Michele "MadMadame" Monroe, 30Apr80-24Mar12
RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09
endo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived endo!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork