How about a DIY RFID ignition setup? - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How about a DIY RFID ignition setup?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
Taiden
I love lamps
CF Pimp
Taiden's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:37 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 89 Times in 45 Posts
Taiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: How about a DIY RFID ignition setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_E View Post
RFID ?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RFID&l=1

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

#1 + #2
88 FZR400 ~ link
Tall Bike ~ Build
Taiden is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Taiden!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #32
DrAwKwArD
Buell Fighter
CF Addict
DrAwKwArD's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Flip Offs: 83
Flipped Off 144 Times in 69 Posts
DrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
Yep, you could easily make a kill "button" though (momentary) to send 12v to the latching relay.
That's a good way to make a more redundant system. Much safer than just having a key fob to turn the ignition off. Good idea. However, if that button sends 12V to the latching relay...then it will turn the bike on too...........right???

My subframe build
CBR Track bike build

"To shave the beard is a sin that the blood of all the martyrs cannot cleanse. It is to deface the image of man created by God." - Ivan the Terrible
DrAwKwArD is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
Taiden
I love lamps
CF Pimp
Taiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud ofTaiden has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwKwArD View Post
That's a good way to make a more redundant system. Much safer than just having a key fob to turn the ignition off. Good idea. However, if that button sends 12V to the latching relay...then it will turn the bike on too...........right???
Not if you are sending 12v from the relay... see what I'm getting at?

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

#1 + #2
88 FZR400 ~ link
Tall Bike ~ Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #34
DrAwKwArD
Buell Fighter
CF Addict
DrAwKwArD's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 83
Flipped Off 144 Times in 69 Posts
DrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to allDrAwKwArD is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
Not if you are sending 12v from the relay... see what I'm getting at?
Oh you mean an interrupting switch. Like a switch between the 12V side of the latching relay and the ignition. Ya, that's a good idea. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought you mean like, send 12V to the relay with a switch...lol...I was all like...whaaaa?

My subframe build
CBR Track bike build

"To shave the beard is a sin that the blood of all the martyrs cannot cleanse. It is to deface the image of man created by God." - Ivan the Terrible
DrAwKwArD is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #35
Taiden
I love lamps
CF Pimp

No, I mean sending 12v from the switched side of the latching relay. That way you don't need a large current rated switch.

IE, it will only have access to 12v if the relay has already been latched via the RFID unit. Once you hit the momentary switch it will use the 12v switched signal from the latching relay to "trigger" it to unlatch. At which point the momentary switch will be 'dead' because the relay is no longer latched.

#1 + #2
88 FZR400 ~ link
Tall Bike ~ Build
These people High Fived Taiden!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #36
Noah
No-U-Turns Show
CF Pimp
Noah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 17 Times in 17 Posts
Noah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to all

or a double relay and run the first one in a circle so it stays switched so that the ignition stays on when the fob is moved away from the reader.

I think its great that these systems sell for $300 but you can build one for $30

heres a diagram of what Im talking about as far as "double relay" aka latching relay

this relay is available at radio shack,,,the part number is 275-206 cost is about $10 for the relay
Get a diode while you are at it..they are about $1 you would need say a 50V-1A Diode
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #37
brockzila
breaking stuff since 1978
CF Addict
brockzila's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:37 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
brockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to beholdbrockzila is a splendid one to behold

are you guys making this way to hard or am i missing something/making it to easy.

ok

swipe
activate windings in relay
close main circut
loop wire then feeds the winding and holds the circut closed.

bike goes.

flick kill switch.
deactivate windingsin relay.
loop wire loses feed
opens main circut

bike stops.

if you want to turn the bike on again, reset the kill switch, swipe and off you go.

no special relays no diodes.

simple and effective

am i wrong, to simple, have i forgotten something

im going to install these in my gloves.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the switches are not in the correct position. will redraw and repost in a moment

You may notice a few spelling mistakes in my posts. sorry. been trying for years i just cant figure that spelling stuff out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyguitar View Post
Worrying about crashing is like worrying about getting an std. Wear protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.
TRX850 Sunburst discussion thread
Sunburst TRX850 Build thread
brockzila is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived brockzila!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #38
dunebuggyq
piss on it
CF Addict
dunebuggyq's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 207
Flipped Off 56 Times in 8 Posts
dunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant futuredunebuggyq has a brilliant future

I think this should be turned into a sticky for future refrences
dunebuggyq is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived dunebuggyq!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #39
Taiden
I love lamps
CF Pimp

That would work fine brockzilla but you wouldn't be able to swipe to turn it off. So that's really just personal preference. We decided on a latching relay in the other thread so you could swipe to turn it off... but in the end it really doesn't matter. That is why there is 1000 ways to skin a cat.

#1 + #2
88 FZR400 ~ link
Tall Bike ~ Build
This user High Fived Taiden!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #40
Noah
No-U-Turns Show
CF Pimp
Noah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 17 Times in 17 Posts
Noah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to allNoah is a name known to all

it would be better to have the kill switch be the switch that activates the RFID box and the relays so that when the kill switch is off these are off as well, the relay disengages and the bike shuts off....who wants to swipe a second time? Use the kill switch..its one less step.

Anyway, if you wire the RFID box right to the battery you are asking for trouble...such as a dead battery

Dont forget a 5 amp fuse in between the RFID box and the power source.
I would use a diode just so you know that power will only flow the one direction on the loop to hold it closed..its just a good thing to do

Last edited by Noah; 12-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Noah!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights