piston ring end gap!!!! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > piston ring end gap!!!!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
370steve
old fart

CF Pimp
370steve's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Flip Offs: 23
Flipped Off 34 Times in 7 Posts
370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default piston ring end gap!!!!

Right, before i go fucking things up, which i am very likely*too!! just a quick question to the very much more edumacated folk in here than me.

table says for top ring to multiply the bore size by .0050", bore is 81mm which equals 3.18897in

so 3.19" x 0.005" = 0.01595"* ??

same equation for bottom ring but with .0055"

so 3.19" x 0.0055" = 0.017545"

then convert back to metric (rounded up to the nearest bit)*=

top gap = 0.40mm

bottom gap = 0.45

* does this sound ok? or am i off by a country mile?

SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
370steve is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived 370steve!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: piston ring end gap!!!!

I don't know. I just know that when you get it wrong you get the 08 1000rr motor. lol
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-20-2018, 02:27 AM   #3
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:02 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Hell if I know for sure dead to rights, but they sound pretty good for what I've dealt with digging into top end work... but I would hope someone far smarter than me will come along and verify things are good to go. Don't want to help you make a mess on the highway if someone would tell us we're both looking at this wrong (although my engines held together fine with the same math... ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Desired end gap depends on various things, including cooling (air vs water) and whether it'll see any power adders.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
370steve
old fart

CF Pimp
370steve's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Flip Offs: 23
Flipped Off 34 Times in 7 Posts
370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Desired end gap depends on various things, including cooling (air vs water) and whether it'll see any power adders.
Mate, i do realize that, thats why the pistons come with a guide on what formulas to use for what application. I have chosen the application and measurements from their guide.
I am not getting into rocket science here, just fitting some pistons in a N/A engine.
all i was wanting was conformation from anyone who has done this themselves that i am working it out correctly from the chosen formula

Thanks RatFighter for the Confirmation

SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
370steve is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived 370steve!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:02 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

No problem, if I recall right, that ring gap is pretty close to the Honda XR's (been into a 650L, 600R, and late '79 500), and seems pretty close to the older early 70's XL/CL 100 as well. Ring gap tends to be pretty standard stuff for stock application NA engines.

As reference, the XR600/650 Honda manual specs a ring end gap of between 0.008- 0.012", with a service maximum of 0.020". Wiseco piston specs suggest around 0.018" (0.0045" x bore). Likely due to a different material for the piston.

Not being tired and about to head to bed (it's morning now, just finished up a cup of coffee and my brain is working properly), I'll confirm that your ring gap math is what I would go by as well, looks good to me. Anyone with more experience or knows something I don't, feel free to blast my replies as idiotic rambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power