Time Certs for stripped out head bolts - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Time Certs for stripped out head bolts

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Time Certs for stripped out head bolts

3/4 are stripped. motor is nice otherwise.

Anyone here done this before?

My understanding would be do time certs, measure, get bolts (non stretch head bolts) threaded a little more by machinist, cut ends off so they dont thread past certs, bolt to spec.

am I missing anything here? tips?
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:22 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Time Certs for stripped out head bolts

Is there enough meat around the hole?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #3
tldave
CF Addict
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

that would require me having looked inside the motor first. I am just going on what the tech said, and he said its doable, and hes a honda tech, and its a 1000 motor.

I would think it is if he said it is, but grain of salt, because he also acted like this was the end of the world. I was like if thats all thats wrong with the motor I don't know why I wouldn't fix it

he also wasnt the one selling me the bike, I tracked him down, he had 0 benefit in telling me it was possible. i already bought the bike. this just makes use of the motor instead of me using one of my others. saves me a bunch of money.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I'll be in the minority, but I don't care for timeserts. And yes, I've got plenty of experience with them. Something about the threads on them just never feel solid to me. I can't explain it, but they never feel like the lock in to their hole as solid as they should.

I just use helicoils on everything. I've bolted big block Chevy heads down on helis with no problems(90ft-lbs). They're plenty strong.

Search Youtube for the video where the guy stress tests timecerts vs heli coils. It may surprise you.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Totally unhelpful, but I just wanna take a second to laugh at the huge number of people who've done articles on helicoil vs time cert and the opening paragraph is ALWAYS "I've never used either one but I'm totally gonna give you an 'expert' opinion anyway!"

Isaac Newton was a bastard when he invented gravity!
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:22 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I wouldn't use time serts. If you want to go solid, use a keensert... much better. We use them extensively at work. If the hole isn't mangled too much for a helicoil, that would be better potentially as you'd leave more of the original material intact.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
tldave
CF Addict

what the fuck is the difference between a keysert and a keensert?

illiteracy?

because both are trademarked terms, but I can't find anything to indicate that they are any different.

probably go keen/key sert. Just have to order a kit.

07 head bolt.

I also saw an awesome post by a stunter that said run some rod and pack the hole with jb. hahahaha.

If the block if borked, fuck it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Timeserts are kinda funnel shaped, whereas Keenserts are a straight cylinder. Keenserts have locking keys/stakes that hold them in place. Timeserts just tighten down against the funnel shape at the top of the insert.

Any of the inserts will do the job. If you're not thinking you'll be doing a steady diet of repairing threads of this specific size, I'd gear up with whatever hardware you can do the cheapest.

shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
tldave
CF Addict

all the info is awesome. I still don't know the difference between a keysert and a keensert thought.

i was thinking that key/keen serts are superior, but time certs might work, but these are headbolts torqued to 51nm, and there are ten, and who knows how many will need fixing. 4 that i know of, which means another few will probably fuck once i go to torque.

still cleaning my fucking garage before i can even get to this.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power