How to fit a single sided swingarm (sssa) on a 929 / 954 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Swingarm Swaps

Swingarm Swaps Swingarm and Rear End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to fit a single sided swingarm (sssa) on a 929 / 954

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
r3voltn1
DON'T NEED CRACK - I'M A

CF Addict
r3voltn1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 9 Times in 6 Posts
r3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 
Default How to fit a single sided swingarm (sssa) on a 929 / 954

After numerous request and lots of PM's to me....I decided to explain my personal process with a sssa conversion. Now I can direct people to this link....he he...

Now keep in mind...This is what I did. Use this info how you want but research others as I did so you will get the outcome you want. You may want the stock VFR rim or different ride height or maybe your trying to pop a 360mm tire on but never-the-less this is only info. I am not liable for your screw ups because you didn't double check as you went....

So..........here we go....

You will need:
A bike of coarse ....00' or 01' Honda 929 or 02' or 03' Honda 954.
The main part .....A 98' to 04' Honda VFR 800 swingarm including the hub spindle and brake caliper complete setup including the pivot bolt.
You will need a VFR dogbone linkage as well but not the triangles. If you have a 954, I heard you can use the origional triangles but can not confirm this.
You will need some import drag longer wheel hub studs. I got these from ebay.
You will need 2 - 20mm honda civic wheel spacers. I got these from ebay. Your machinist will be modifying these (milling them down) or you can have your machinist make one from scratch. Orrrr you can get 2 - 15mm spacers if you can find them and be done with it.

Take your newly found sssarm and shave approximatly 4mm or 3/16" off the inside of the arm to fit around the motor of the bike. This is a process of grinding some off a little at a time to get the perfect fitment while installing and uninstalling the pivot bolt numerous times. There will be little blocks that you will end up shaving off and you will need to keep shaving untill the right side passes a tiny part of the motor that needs to clear when pivoting the arm up and down. This is hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean when you come to it.

This is a 2004 VFR 800 Arm going onto my 2000 CBR 929

Here is the arm with 4mm shaved off of each sides (inside only). There was a little square block made onto the arm on the inside of the left side shown below but the pics dosnt show it because I had already shaved it off. But it has to come off for clearance. Also both bushings must be cut down flush with both sides as well. This pic below shows the bushing on the left not cut yet but I did cut it down later.

So here is a little more detail on how I made the pivot bolt work on my SSSarm conversion .....I want to try to contribute this info and detail pics because although I did find info doing searches it was still a bit of a chore figuring out what was said without detail pics.

PLEASE NOTE: I HAD HEARD THAT THE VFR PIVOT BOLTS ARE NOT THE SAME SO CHECK YOURS TO THE ONE I'M USING BEFORE HACKING AWAY. YOU MAY WANT TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Below is the VFR pivot bolt fully intact and parts / spacers I made out of the CBR 929 stock pivot bolt. These are placed in order so you can see how to stack them as they are put on. Continue down and the green labeling is notated.

CBR 1 is the nut from the stock 929 pivot bolt. It will be welded onto the bolt end of the VFR pivot bolt. This allows the VFR pivot bolt to be longer and allows the gear shift side cinch bolt to hold in place like stock. Note that I grinded the edge of the bolt end of the VFR pivot bolt so I could get a good weld and be able to grind it down flush for fitment.

CBR2--is a 25mm or 1" long cut off the stock 929 pivot bolt. I then drilled this out to fit like a sleeve over the VFR pivot bolt.

CONDUIT3-- is a piece of electrical conduit that I got from the local hardware store and was cut 127mm or 5" long.This diameter cannot exceed the diameter of the engine case hole but will be fine if it is smaller diameter. There is no pressure applied to this part. It acts as a spacer to seperate CBR2 from CBR4 as it is inside the motor case. Note that CBR2 and CBR4 is a supporting part and must fit correctly inside the engine case but due to the hollowed space inside the engine case the conduit is just floating inside but still keeping the CBR2 and CBR4 seperate in place.

CBR4--same as CBR2 but in order.

CBR5--is the bolt end of the stock 929 pivot bolt that I cut off 3mm or 1/8" PAST THE SHOULDER. The reason for this is to be able to have enough meat on the inside to drill out and sleeeve over the end of the VFR pivot bolt after installed. This part allows you to use the cinch bolt on the brake lever side of the bike.

V--is the VFR Nut to apply and tighten after installation. I actually ended up welding "V" to the CBR5.

Below shows it all put together and showing the seperated spaces in between where the arm/bushings go for the sssarm.

After installed --this is the brake side of bike that will recieve the nut. As you can see the cinch spacer sticks out a little. I ended up shaving this down a bit to make flush before appling the nut.

Here is the gear shift side of the bike showing the welded end onto the VFR pivot bolt that allowed you to cinch bolt this side just like your supposed to.

Now this is complete without the use of a machinist unless you just dont have the correct drill bits but the $$ you spent on the machinist you could go buy the drill bits and have them to do your buddies Blades.

After measuring everything out I decided to go with a 240-40-18 on a 18 x 8 inch 2000 model Honda civic rim that has 40 mm offset (www.tirerack.com had a huge variety - just pop in the Honda civic car search). Just wasnt happy with the fact that any larger tire would put the tire to the left too far and would be more off center. The 240 may be a 1/2" to 3/4" off to the right but not enough to notice even if looking directly from the back. I want to note that if you go with a 7 1/2" wide rim with a 38mm or 40mm offset, the wheel hanging over to one side will be minimal if not close to perfect center. I wish I had went with a 7 1/2" wide rim instead of a 8".

Here is where my machinist took one spacer and made it fit to the second spacer and at the same time milled it to 30 mm wide. This puts the rim 1/8" or 3mm from touching the arm when spinning freely (damn close).

Here is where the studs are placed in. Take a old lug nut and place on the lug so you can beat the crap out of it without screwing up the threads. Once all out flip the hub over and hammer the new studs in. Make sure they go all the way in. When placing the new ones in I took a old lug nut and cut the end off so it would run the full length of the new studs. Then I used a air ratchet to suck the new knurl on the studs up tight.

Now that all this is done. Mock all this up and make a somewhat large triangle with no holes.
Then jack up the bike where you want it and place the shock, dogbone linkage and swingarm mount where you want it to mark the distances on the bolts. Below shows what I went with but I also dropped mine in the back 1 1/2" cause I'm a shorty.

OH!...almost forgot....Block off the single piston of the VFR brake caliper (one in the middle) and run the other orifice side that use the 2 outside pistons. Now you can use one stainless brake line through the hole in the bottom of the arm. This hole will need to be drilled a little bigger but once it's done use a coat hanger to fish it through and come out of the stock hole by the pivot on the brake side to mount it up on the master cylinder. Fishing the brake line is much easier while the arm is off.......I promise.

I also want to add that I shaved off the chain guard mounts that pertrude off the arm. I just ground them off and sanded it smooth. Then took the chain guard out back and blasted it with a shotgun because it was fun.

I hope all this info helps you on your great adventure for a SSSA. Your still welcome to PM me if you get stumped. Good Luck

.....rise up, rebel, repel, repulse, resist,....R3VOLT!!!
r3voltn1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
balline36m3

CF Pimp
balline36m3's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Flip Offs: 929
Flipped Off 504 Times in 71 Posts
balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!balline36m3 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: How to fit a single sided swingarm (sssa) on a 929 / 954

Good writeup bud
balline36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
TeckniX
Fight it till it's right
Senior Fighterer
TeckniX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:35 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 4 Times in 2 Posts
TeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of lightTeckniX is a glorious beacon of light

High 5'd for some good info and detailed pictures. Thanks for putting this all together!

'01 SV650 build -> http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?p=720653

k7 7Fiddy build -> http://www.customfighters.com/forums....php?p=1268646

"Just learning my way through..."
TeckniX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Section_59
"Detonation"
CF Addict
Section_59's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Section_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to allSection_59 is a name known to all

How many colours has your bike been man? lol
Section_59 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
r3voltn1
DON'T NEED CRACK - I'M A

CF Addict
r3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud ofr3voltn1 has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section_59 View Post
How many colours has your bike been man? lol
WAY TOO MANY....LOL....

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Hitman Cody2130
GURU

CF Addict
Hitman Cody2130's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Flip Offs: 45
Flipped Off 10 Times in 5 Posts
Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Damn it now I kinda wanna do this on my 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalonka View Post
If the Mob didn't have Tommy Guns, they would have used Street Fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGGIN View Post
And if the good lord didn't want us to masturbate, he would have made our arms shorter.
Hitman Cody2130 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
CBRRRT
Stinky Crusty Old Bastard
CF Addict
CBRRRT's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:35 AM
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 6 Times in 5 Posts
CBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

I will point out this thread to 929 and 954 owners that ask me how to.

Good stuff brother.

http://www.facebook.com/honda.streetfighter Wun Farzund
My mind is glowing............................................. ...........Ingerlund
CBRRRT is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CBRRRT!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
r3voltn1
DON'T NEED CRACK - I'M A

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRRRT View Post
I will point out this thread to 929 and 954 owners that ask me how to.

Good stuff brother.
Awesome buddy--hope it helps.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
D_J
NoObie
Noobie
D_J's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
D_J is a good noobieD_J is a good noobie

Thanks!

But what about the chain alignment? No need to offset the chain to be able to get the wheel centered?
D_J is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
r3voltn1
DON'T NEED CRACK - I'M A

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_J View Post
Thanks!

But what about the chain alignment? No need to offset the chain to be able to get the wheel centered?
Sorry about this....I was rooting around and realized you asked a question on an old thread I unsubscribed to.

No need to offset chain as long as the correct amount is takin off the inside of the arm...to get the chain centered correctly.

I re-subscribed in case more questions need answered....sorry again for the late response.

This user High Fived r3voltn1!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Swingarm Swaps