Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

project: Pre-Mix Only discussion thread

8K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  sbk904 
#1 ·
first post of my discussion thread...should i just copy/paste over from the build thread?

#2 ·
sooo, without actually cross-posting everything that's already been cross-posted so far i'll start the discussion:

i'm still trying to figure out how to make a seat work....after re-measuring i feel i would be better off making a seat to go with the KZ tail rather than buying the ebay special vietnamese seat cover/foam to cafe out the stock seat pan....

i can make the pan no problemo, but any ideas as where i get some firm seat foam??

#3 ·
also, i'm stalled on progress til tuesday at the earliest....waiting for a big shipment from economy cycle with tires/bearings etc. (haha, all the stuff i can't "make" or recycle)

also can't work on the rear shock placement just yet, the ebay shock i was sent was the wrong one, i bought an 08-09 R6 shock, they shipped out an '08 R6S and the reservoir was orientated differently, so it won't fit.

i wish i had a lathe so i could upsize the front wheel bearing pockets mself, but i'm going to have to go make friends with a local machinist for that.. also going to have to have a rotor spacer made...

speaking of the rotor spacer, would it be better to make the spacer and just use long bolts, or make the spacer bolt to the hub, and make the rotor bolt to the spacer like the automotive bolt pattern adapter/spacers?

#5 ·
mocked up the forks.

not digging the tail today.

however, broke down the seat pan and took a powered filet knife to the foam.

#9 ·
haha, by most of us, you mean you smoker?

there is no way myself or this engine/frame combination will be able to outride the two commonly available 18 tires, and besides i think a 180/55-17 on the rear of a ~40hp bike is just silly.

#18 ·
haha, by most of us, you mean you smoker?

there is no way myself or this engine/frame combination will be able to outride the two commonly available 18 tires, and besides i think a 180/55-17 on the rear of a ~40hp bike is just silly.
Well, I've probably seen at least 100 RZs with 17s!

You're right about a stocker with a 180 rear, I wouldn't recommend that. You should have over 70 RWHP if you want to push one of those. 150 width would be perfect. I'm using a 160 on my RZ350 Streetfighter.

The OEM 110 width on the rear sucks. Rode with the OEM-sized tires today on the freeway, in the rain. Very fucking sketchy.

#11 ·
sure can, it's got a 47x17x14 (od/id/w) and new axle is 22mm.

closest thing the guy at all-balls could find was a 50x22x14 or a 44(?, i don't remember exactly but it was smaller))x22x14

there is plenty of extra aluminum in the hub area to bore the pocket from 47 to 50.

#12 ·
i tacked on the lower shock mount yesterday. i'm going to wait to tack up the upper until the tires are on, and all the front end bearings are in so i can set the ride height. i'll have a small amount of adjustability with the dogbones.

#17 ·
somebody talk to me about the rotor spacer....it's going to be about an inch thick, maybe 1-1/4 either way, pretty thick. so, would it be better for it to be a plain spacer the rotor bolts pass all the way thru, or better for the spacer to bolt to the hub, and the rotor to bolt to the spacer? to me the 2nd option seems most sound.

also, tacked the upper shock mount in, no pics yet...

#19 ·
i'm full aware of the merits of the 17. that's not what this build is about.

if i had unlimited resources, about the only set of commonly available 17"s i would consider would be older CBR wheels, but i don't have ~150-$200 for the rims alone, so if you want to send me a cbr F2 rear and F3 front with at least new-ish tires and i will put them on, otherwise the 18's stay!!

#20 ·
now would somebody please talk to me about the rotor spacer...it's got to be pretty thick, should it bolt to the hub on the existing studs, and the rotor bolt to it, or should i just use really long bolts passing all the way thru? my gut tells me the first option is best...

#21 ·
new topic...carbs!

OK, so i finally got around to disassembling the carbs this morning, and first off, the slides were completely seized, i spray some wd40 into there to let them sit, and decide to go ahead and remove the float bowl, and lo, there are stalactites forming in there.

it's really terrible looking in there.

i'm a cost-effective guy, the bike is far from original, i've already bought "rebuild" kits for each one, but i'm pretty sure, i'm going to need a little more than what's in the kit, and i don't mind returning the new kits i bought.

so what say you, rebuild or get another set?

anyone tried other carbs, like a stock banshee pair?

also still looking for input on the front rotor spacer...

#22 ·
#23 ·
Careful with those carbs from Asia. I had one I bought for my CB100 that literally broke apart in my hands because the casting was so bad. It was also a "Keihin". I put that in quotes because it was obviously a fake. I ended up buying a vintage carb and rebuilt it.

#24 ·
that's what i've read/heard, you either get a solid accurate clone, or a POS failure. i rolled the dice...

#26 ·
new progress update posted over on the build thread...i really need to work harder at taking more pics, or have a friend do it.

soooo, the next big thing is going to be the rotor spacer, need to get that sorted. after talking to an engineer buddy, having long bolts pass all the way thru the spacer will be about the same as bolting the spacer to the hub and bolting the rotor to the spacer, except cheaper and less complicated! i like simple solutions.

speaking of spacers, i need to make one for the upper triple still, as well as space the rear wheel and caliper hanger back there, and have the rotor narrowed, diameter shrunk, and cross drilled.

need to make the stingers and silencers, and plan out and build silencer supports.

need to order the CDI as well as work out either narrowing the sprockets to 520 width or ordering all-new...

still so much to do!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.