Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

110K views 240 replies 16 participants last post by  spotarama 
#1 ·
It's me again, Margaret!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back with another build. I call it Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build. Why Doomed to Fail? If you have to ask, you haven't seen any of my build threads ever....but I'll give you a hint. I haven't finished a single fucking one.

Whats a SteamRat? The premise of the final look is a cross between steampunk and ratbike. Wouldn't that just be some Mad Max outlands, zombie apocolypse type of build, you ask? Nope.

So here's the break down. Been doing a bunch of planning, and I've got a couple parts on hand I've been dying to install on SOMETHING, I've got some ideas I haven't seen done on ANYTHING (seen similar, but close only counts with hand grenades and nukes), and its about goddamn time I do some fucking work...on 2 wheels.

Here's what I'm starting with:

$20 KZ650 frame. No title, bare frame, cut after the shocks, and has races installed for some AllBalls for the steering stem. Had the 5-0 run the numbers for me, it's clean, I'll have no problems getting a title. I should probably do that soon, before I cut this thing in half.

I'm not even using the entire frame. I'm cutting the backbone off, and cutting the bottom tubes right before they bend up. My intent is to build this into a low slung hardtail.

Parts on hand:
Kz650 frame
pair of aircraft control pedals courtesy of Mongo
wide oval low beam projector from an Infiniti QX4
the overwelming urge to put something together

Things I intend to incorporate into this build:
16hp cast iron Briggs & Stratton single cylinder with electric starter and 20amp stator
pair of springer seats
girder front end
kz750 19/16 wheels
Ford Model A taillight with STOP lense and led board

Everything else:
Whatever comes around and seems like a good idea

Already found a front end, or at least part of it. Next pay day I gotta see what I have left, and go make an offer on it. I don't even care that it's incomplete. I can build around it.

I'm also picking up a my motor from MarksA-C. Gonna need a little work to be usable, but that's fine. I like doing work.

Right about now I wish I still had this one exhaust pipe that was always laying around my stash. Tossed it as part of a massive downsize a year and a half ago (relationship issues....). Damn, it would have been perfect for this.

All my previous builds have been based on complete bikes, this will be an almost entirely ground up build.

I've done all the math, and while this won't exactly be a fast bike, it'll have a proposed top speed of almost 90. In no way do I expect it to cruise at that speed. If I can cruise at 70 I'll be happy. I'm building this mostly for around town and county roads.

16hp Briggs, right angle gear box, gokart/golf cart cvt, 18T/46T sprocket set, and 130-90-16 rear tire. The CVT runs a 3:1-1:1 range, so if anyone else wants to run my numbers, I came up with a technical top speed of 88mph based on the 3k rpm limit of your average small engine. Yes, a lot of times we run them higher, I'll be adjusting the governor to give me 3300-3400 at the top. Much higher and you run the risk of destroying the flywheel.

"OMG, an automatic? Why not just buy a moped and feel the wind in your vagina". Hey, I just might. I only live 2 miles from work, I'm sure the breezed will feel great!

Actually my drive train choice is a budgetary thing. I'd love to stick a manual box behind it, but motorcycle transmissions are expensive as fuck. Plus I want the motor facing forward. If anyone comes across a damn cheap transmission, post it, I'm not exactly saying no to the idea. Just the cost.

That's it for now, I'll post more when I start getting parts in!

See less See more
#128 ·
Oh yes, this will work. This will work just fine. Tuck the coil up in the back bone, mount the battery below it. The fatbob tanks sandwhich it all. Electrical controls are a mere couple of switches on the tank panel, so all you see is a rolling bike with hand and foot controls, nothing more.

This will look bare bones as fuck.....I like it!

Attachments

#137 ·
Dude, its OK to take a year or six to get a roller... just don't expect anybody to understand or comment meaningfully on your styling choices until the whole thing is largely together, because nobody can imagine what you have in your mind.

#141 ·
A little playing around to see how things would sit. I like it so far

Attachments

#145 ·
:LolLolLolLol:

Lumpy, when you wanna change that thing out I've got a nice 130/16 here that was intended for it, but I didn't have the bead breaker bolted to the shop floor yet so it didn't get done. Bring it out and I'll make sure it's sorted with a new tire. Had a guy swing by and get a nicer 16 put on his Shadow 1100, I kept the old Dunlop that came off his bike since I tend to find use for old tires instead of just paying disposal fee's. ;)

#150 ·
Scored some VN750 wheels with brand new tires. Date codes are only a couple years old, rubber is still extremely pliable, the rims match, and I just went from a 18/16 combo to a 19/15 combo. More of that chop look!

Did a quick test fit. Perfect!

Now come daylight, aka after work, I'm gonna see how well the VN wheel fits the GS forks. Supposedly both are 15mm axles...... Gonna see if the caliper lines up to the rotor or not

Attachments

#152 ·
First package is out for delivery. I ordered 2 sets of engine mount bolts (the long ones) with the frame plates. Need to get the engine and frame up on a table, and I can start working on mounting it!

#157 ·
WOOHOO! UPGRADES!

Not for the bike though. Scored the red combo for 100 bucks the other day. Yes, it's Harbor Freight, but previous owner did the same reinforcing I would have. And it was 400 bucks of storage for 100. Now that that's in place, I need to finish reorganizing the tools, and get the clips to put shelves in the cabinet. The new height of everything mandated drastic rearranging of everything. I don't mind. Gives me a chance to buy some new organizers, clean up the boxes better, etc.

Anyone local got a bench I can get? Looking for something 30"x8' or. Most of what I've found on craigslist has been too pricey, or they never respond.

Attachments

#161 ·
Im looking at those from phone. And on first glance i thought, thats a weird idea, keep heavy tools on a shelf, and how do you fixate it on wall to hold that weight. Then i looked more and realized those are sideways

#160 ·
For a doomed to fail thread you sure are killing it in here.
The more I poke fun at my past failures, the more I wanna finish this one lol.

It also helps I've spent the last year and a half or so finally settling my shit down, trying to put myself back together. Steady job, added a part time job on top of that a couple months ago, still working side jobs when they come up, I've got a decent apartment, I've got a routine, and for better or worse life is moving along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.