'80 CB750 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers

Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers Everything about cafe fighters and cafe racers goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > '80 CB750

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Colledge123
Bikeless
CF Addict
Colledge123's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:42 PM
Flip Offs: 11
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
Colledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to all
Default '80 CB750

I haven't been around here in forever, but I'm trying to get back on two wheels so here's my latest project.
Picked up an '81 cb750 a couple of years ago now, stripped it and chopped the back end of the subframe off. Then life got in the way and i didn't even look at it until this summer.
When I first got it:

To be honest, the bike was fairly nice when I got it, but the devil is in the details and it was just a bit rough around the corners. The previous owner had made shortcuts that I wasn't a fan of.

After a move, which meant I finally have a garage to work in, I've actually made a fair bit of progress in the last few months.
first job was to sort the back end out. I've taken a cheap ebay seat and gave it a little trim so it matches up with shock mount hump. With that lined up, I could then measure up the rear hoop to suit.

Before welding the lot together I cut a slot for an integrated rear light / indicators (yeah I know, overdone).

I wanted to have a few mounting points on the back end for a removable rack and/or hump so I drilled and tapped the old M6 bosses to M8, plated the top of the hoop and added another couple of M8 weld nuts. While I was there I ground off the side cover mounting tabs and a few other bits.

Grinder and paint make me the welder I aint!

I do plan on stripping the bike back down to the frame at some point and getting the whole lot powdercoated, but that'll have to wait. For now I've just truck bed linered it.

Next is the electrics. I've stripped back the loom and managed to move things around enough to fit most things into a small tray under the seat. That and the battery box have been my first tries and manual metal forming, so they're a bit rough around the edges.

I've shortened the loom in places, but replaced anything ive cut off with new OEM connectors. Except for the fusebox, which ive replaces with a bunch of inline mini blade fuses.

Front end next. Stock forks and wheel, just tidied up. I've replaced the headlight with a slightly smaller bates style one. Fabbed up a little bracket to bring it as close in to the forks as possible. Done the same with the indicators. Top yolk has had all extraneous taps cut off & smoothed. Ignition relocated to under the seat. For clocks I've just gone for a small analogue speedo and an array of LED warning lights for high beam, neutral, indicators and oil pressure.

Now i'm at the point where I've got the majority of the mechanical / aesthetic stuff ironed out and i've just got to get the thing running.
I've completely stripped and rebuilt the carbs, taken back to OEM jets and bench synced. Now's time crank and get the carbs properly balanced.

Wish me luck.

Colledge123 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Colledge123!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: '80 CB750

Nice project,man. I've got a soft spot for CB's,especially the 750's. Nice to see someone show this bike some love.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Nice, very nice. Tidy cockpit. Some of my favorites are the first and second generation CB750s. Perfect start for a cafe.

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Colledge123
Bikeless
CF Addict
Colledge123's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 11
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
Colledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to allColledge123 is a name known to all

Just logged on for the first time not on mobile..... sorry for the gigantic pics. I'll host on imgur instead.

Anyway, not much of an update, just being doing the odd job here and there. Tidied up some more wiring and been working on ideas for the back end.

I'm thinking a skeletal hump made from 10mm tube, maybe fill in the panels with waxed canvas.
I made a mockup, but not a fan of the overcut, the sketch is way cleaner looking.

Gave the garage a good clean out so I have a nice clean work area for the small fiddly stuff. Took the opportunity to get some pics in daylight.

Check out that lopsided upholstering job I did. Will have to re-do that, but in the long run i'm gonna make a new fibreglass seat pan and just do a simple closed cell foam seat.

Edit: I've resized the images in imgur... dunno why they're still coming through mahoosive
Colledge123 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Colledge123!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 19 Times in 16 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Yay, another localish person =D
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colledge123 View Post

Edit: I've resized the images in imgur... dunno why they're still coming through mahoosive

When you are getting the links from imgur, scroll down to the bottom of that box. You can choose small, medium or large ( and others) thumbnail sizes. When you click the size choice you can see it add a letter to the link. Default size is "original".

shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

That’d be a pretty clever bump/rack if you left like the mock up. In metal of course. Change up the look from the flat cafe seat.

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Zweihammer!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

That's my cup.o.tea mate .Old skool hand bilt! Great stuff .

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Generalyen97
Noobie
Generalyen97's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Generalyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really niceGeneralyen97 is really nice

Looks very tasteful, are you going to keep the k tank?
Generalyen97 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers