DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools

Streetfighter Tools Discussion about the tools you use to build and modify your streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #21
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty
up2L8's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Flip Offs: 298
Flipped Off 90 Times in 54 Posts
up2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet

actually, I've been using this a fair amount and the unprotected wood is not an issue at all. I can't even see wear from it.

I'm running 90psi, glass media.

Biggest issue is how fast the window wears out. I'm using plexiglass right now, but I might try real glass, because this shit gets cloudy kinda quick.

I love it though, I shoulda built this thing a long time ago.

ZX6R Streetfighter, sold to brother, on hold while away with military

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
Everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders. If you aint slidin, you aint ridin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michjohnny View Post
ground up build. there will be alota blood sweat and beers in this one .
up2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #22
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

The thing that's been keeping one from showing up in our garage is the several hundred dollar air compressor that is also needed. My dad wants one to run some basic air tools off of, but I keep telling him to just do it right the first time and get a bigger unit. Then the problem becomes weight. We want to mount it in the rafters of the garage so we don't use up an precise floor space.

Once again, the Benjamin's just aren't growing fast enough... maybe I should plant another tree in the back yard.

Have you tried other media then the glass beads? I keep hearing great things about soda blasting but I think you need some extra equipment to use it so it doesn't clog the gun.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #23
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty
up2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
The thing that's been keeping one from showing up in our garage is the several hundred dollar air compressor that is also needed. My dad wants one to run some basic air tools off of, but I keep telling him to just do it right the first time and get a bigger unit. Then the problem becomes weight. We want to mount it in the rafters of the garage so we don't use up an precise floor space.

Once again, the Benjamin's just aren't growing fast enough... maybe I should plant another tree in the back yard.

Have you tried other media then the glass beads? I keep hearing great things about soda blasting but I think you need some extra equipment to use it so it doesn't clog the gun.
ah, that is key, I have a good size vertical standing compressor, and it works great, but any smaller would be bad news. A small one would be unusable. You def need a compressor though, I use the impact wrench all the time, my air grinder, etc.....

EDIT: haha, stop spending money on your damn car.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders. If you aint slidin, you aint ridin.
Quote:
These people High Fived up2L8!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Wes4386
CF Addict
Wes4386's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 75 Times in 41 Posts
Wes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2L8 View Post
actually, I've been using this a fair amount and the unprotected wood is not an issue at all. I can't even see wear from it.

I'm running 90psi, glass media.

Biggest issue is how fast the window wears out. I'm using plexiglass right now, but I might try real glass, because this shit gets cloudy kinda quick.

I love it though, I shoulda built this thing a long time ago.
Try putting a sheet of clear plastic over the plexiglass windoww on the inside. It's cheaper and easier to change it out than the plexiglass.

Wes4386 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes4386 View Post
Try putting a sheet of clear plastic over the plexiglass windoww on the inside. It's cheaper and easier to change it out than the plexiglass.
There was a plastic cover on the plexi when I put it on, but that wore out in like 2 days. I really need to find something actually harder so it doesn't scratch so easy.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
Wes4386
CF Addict
Wes4386's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 75 Times in 41 Posts
Wes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to all

We have a roll of thicker plastic film we cut up and use peices of hear at work. It lasts quite a while, like 3-6 months between changes depending upon use.

Wes4386 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Wes4386!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2L8 View Post
ah, that is key, I have a good size vertical standing compressor, and it works great, but any smaller would be bad news. A small one would be unusable. You def need a compressor though, I use the impact wrench all the time, my air grinder, etc.....

EDIT: haha, stop spending money on your damn car.
What size tank and motor is recommended for blasting?

Yeah like that is going to happen. I'll tell you what. If you stop changing stuff on your bikes, I'll stop changing stuff on my car. Deal?

If you use glass for the window I would think you would still want something over it otherwise you will just start etching the glass and then it will get foggy and hard to see through. I say keep things simple and just go without glass or plexiglass.. just an open area. Who cares if you have glass beads flying at you at over 100mph.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Racing Geek!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes4386 View Post
We have a roll of thicker plastic film we cut up and use peices of hear at work. It lasts quite a while, like 3-6 months between changes depending upon use.
ya? where would I find something like that? is it designed for blasting, or how would I find it?

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #29
vernk
Fighter 4 Christ
CF Lover
vernk's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:27 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
vernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of lightvernk is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

what cfm compressor is needed for blasting??
vernk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernk View Post
what cfm compressor is needed for blasting??

This is what I have:

26 gal

4 cfm @ 90 psi

6 cfm @ 40 psi

1.5 running HP motor

It is fine for what I need, bigger is always better though. I give mine a break every 12 min or so to catch up and cool off. The pressure I run it at depends on what I'm blasting, but lately it's been at 90 psi. That's been great for most things.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by up2L8; 06-15-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools