2002 CRF450R ATC conversion build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2002 CRF450R ATC conversion build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 12:09 AM   #1
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:49 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default 2002 CRF450R ATC conversion build

Not really a bike, but I felt like chronicling this build somewhere and I'm sure at least some of you will get a kick out of this.

There's a company north of me called BVC Trikes, they're selling these kits to convert dirt bikes into modern versions of the 80's death machine known as the ATC. They offer a variety of kits, the one I'm working on combines a 2002 CRF450R 4 stroke with their swingarm, triples, subframe and various brackets and also a bunch of oem Sporttrax parts. The vintage element will be coming in via vintage wheels, tires, and some Maier plastic for the front.

Goal is to emulate the 350X:

End up something like this:

Sounds easy enough, right? Build a kit? Not so fast...

Here's the starting point. A power unit and 2 boxes of parts.

Step one, get the frame stripped for powdercoat. Got everything off easy enough -

Found some abraded areas (panel rub) I wanted to fix, so I did

But wait, there's more

Last thing before powdercoat, remove the bearing races. Did the bottom first, had to tap it out gradually as normal. Took my first whack at the top race and it went went flying across the floor... wtf... that's not normal... took a closer look:

Well that ain't good...

There's gotta be a good story behind that crack!

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 2002 CRF450R ATC conversion build

I welded it twice, doing the outer end of the crack second, so I could monitor how well the gap closed up, and also to keep it from closing up too much. It worked.

I was able to refit and again remove the bearing race with normal effort, fixed.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #3
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Next I pulled the shock apart so I could get the spring off. Then dropped it, the frame, and some misc small stuff off at the coaters.

While those were away I started cleaning the motor and painting some of the covers

Found this Aluminum Brightener at Napa, it's basically a spray bottle of phoshoric acid. It goes a great job of lightly etching bare aluminum. I kept a bottle of Windex handy to neutralize the acid as I did my spot cleaning. Side note, I've tried it out for aluminum weld prep and it works well for that too.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #4
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Bead blasted the front brake rotor

Both side covers had some previously repaired dents and dings, I cleaned them up and painted them. I used cast iron engine paint over self etching primer for all 3 covers.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Got the parts back from powder. Columbia Coatings Super Mirror Blue on the spring and Super Mirror Red on the frame to match the BVC subframe.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Some of my scariest experiences came from stock ATCs back in the day.
You are a braver man than I.
Looking great so far!

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Zweihammer!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Large Harbor Freight dolly + plywood turned into a nice mobile base for the frame assembly

After chasing all the threads with appropriate taps, time for assembly.

Engine going in

Swingarm and linkages in

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #8
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Subframe and triples on. Sub fit was close but I did have to manhandle it a little, tight fit to the CRF frame, likely due to weld shrinkage. Triples went in as they should. Started fitting air plenum.

Footpegs back on & hooking up fuel hose, prepping for rad hose install, polished shifter and installed

Next added the brackets for the plenum and the air filter. BVC doesn't supply instructions so fitting some of the brackets is a fun little guessing game. They have some videos on youtube which is helpful if you can hit the pause button just right to see how some of the stuff fits.

Then oiled the filter and installed it, cleaned rad hoses and installed most of them

Stabbed the rear plastic on for a look, first thing the tool box needs to go so it can seat down properly in the subframe. Then have to fiddle with bracket position to square it on the frame.

Filter sock to keep the big crud out

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Once the toolbox is cut away the rear body will shift back a bit, but not enough tha tit won't need trimming at the front corners, and it will also need to be clearanced for the kick starter (quads were e start)

This side too. I'll trim the toolbox, install the rad shrouds, then trim the front corners to fit.

Gonna have a nice 'Murica look to it with the blue seat

I'm starting to think the tank needs to be wrapped with white vinyl, the black just doesn't seem right.

Next cleaned up the forks, WD40 and a toothbrush work great for the crevices

Added gaiters for that retro vibe

And then other stuff came up so rolled her off to the side for the time being, sits like this for now:

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-17-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

Utterly.
Fucking.
Bonkers.

I love it!
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MDM!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes