Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

98 gsxr 750 meets 08 gsxr 1000

143K views 340 replies 88 participants last post by  MikeGyver 
#1 ·
my current ride is a 98 gsxr 750 fully faired. it has some mild mods. yoshimura carbon fiber trs. K&N, timing retard eliminator. power commander. mild port and pollish. mild skim on the head. -1 tooth in the front + 2 in the rear. and some other minor things but basically just like every other bike around.

i had the bike for sale for a bit because i wanted to upgrade to a 1000cc bike and something newer. after being for sale for probably 6 months and me still riding it all i really got were people trying to trade me beat up dirt bikes, lawnmowers, and other junk, i found an 08 gsxr 1000 without a frame, fairings, and a few other things. so the hunt was on for an 07/08 frame. after a few months of over priced junk i decided to just build what i wanted. out came the tools and then there were parts all over the floor.

next up was getting back to a rolling chassis. the 98 750 and 08 1000 use the same head bearings and as that is the only contact point between the frame and forks i assumed it would slot right in. turns out i was right. cant use the steering lock, steering stops, or the steering damper as it mounts differently but im not too worried about any of that. the stops are going to be cut and rewelded in a better location. the steering lock is going to be left as is. and the steering damper is probably going to be replaced with a side mount unless i can find a way to mount the stock 08 damper.
and before anyone says anything. yes i know my shed is a disaster. and no my frame and forks are not bent. the rear is on a pretty tall stand with no motor in it so it makes the forks look like they are straight up and down

08 1000cc motor waiting to go in

level one racing exhaust with titanium header

plans as of now are to cut the upper rear motor mounts off the frame and replace them with a bolt on steel mount, cut the front mounts down and use bolt on transition plates. got a set of levers for 40 bucks from a friend(pazzo, avs, or crg, cant remember) shorty black on blacks. got an 02 gsxr 1000 rear wheel as the 08 will not work with the srad swing arm. still deciding between the stock srad rear shock. the 08 1000 rear shock, and an 03 750 rear shock. the ride height would be lower with the 03 and then lower again with the 08 but i can swap the top mount to make up for that and shim if need be. still need to find some tires, sprockets, and a chain. fab up some pair block off plates, remove the set valve and patch the hole left. any input would be much apretiated. not really sure when ill be able to work on her next. full time job, daughter, no money, and lots of snow in an un heated tin shed with no doors.

See less See more
#194 ·
ill have to get some updated pictures soon. almost back togehter
making of my projectors. not the best welding but it definitely wont break lol.

with the lenses and reflectors, both have mounting tabs welded to housing to bolt onto. then the reflectors were taped to the housing from the inside and i used a 2 part epoxy that would be able to handle the heat to seal them together. not the prettiest again but it will hold and be hidden under my windscreen. i thought i had a picture of the beam so you could see the light output but i cant find it. ill post it when i post the shots of the fork shrouds done.

#195 ·
nice job Casey. never seen someone make their own projectors.

#198 ·
thanks. a bit more progress last night.
fork shrouds done and headlight mounted. windscreen just held up. wheel stripes removed. i think it looks a lot cleaner this way. just have to make a new mount for my windscreen and something to hold my brake and clutch lines without strapping anything to the forks. ideas?

windscreen just held up. a bit crooked ha

#200 ·
yeah ill have to figure out exactly where its going to sit and ill probably either re make the mounts on the back of the windscreen or extend them to the headlight mount

#203 ·
i ended up using steel so i could weld the headlight mounts to the shrouds. didnt notice any change from the weight. and everything is FAR more sturdy then the last setup. the headlights used to vibrate and would move around a bit. its completely rock solid now. and i think it looks a lot cleaner. i still want to mount the windscreen with something different than those rubber straps. they hold it nice and tight to the bike and keep it where i want it. they also give and stretch a bit if i need them to. i just dont like them being wrapped around the shrouds. i may take it apart and weld a mount on the inside of the shroud to bolt the rubber pieces to. idk

Reactions: CtotheQ
#207 ·
oh you have no idea haha. i have so many ideas. and if i can find a motor to stuff in that gs750 i have that was one thing i had thought about doing. inverted front end. drag bars or clip ons straight out. hard tailed. 200 rear with 140 front. low low seat on springs. suicide shift with hand clutch. rear brake on one foot side and front on the other foot side.

windscreen mounts were bothering me so i made these. cut them out of 3/16 steel stacked on top of eachother to make sure they were the same. windscreen is solid as a rock. just need to paint everything now. ill probably end up welding them to the headlight mounts and smoothing it all out. but now theres nothing around the shrouds

#208 ·
Cool bike, fighter for sure!!!

Hey, those fork shrouds......just pieces of pipe right?? What size pipe did you use?? Just measure the OD of the triple and match that right?? I see that the top set just gets sandwiched between the triples. How do the bottom set get mounted / secured so they arent fallin all over??

Thanx, may mount some on the monster.....maybe.

#209 ·
the lower shroud is held in place like this. there is a double step on the bottom of the fork leg. the shroud sits VERY snuggly around the top one and on top of the bottom one, the top of it has a thin spacer that is squished between the fork tube and the shroud. then the fork legs are pushed up in the lower triple as hard as i could get them. i was relieved to see that they were EXACTLY the same length so i had the same amount of fork leg sticking out of each side. the top ones have spacers between the shrouds and fork legs too. these ones are tight. i have to slide the shrouds on with some kind of liquid that lubes it but evaporates away and had to use a rubber mallet to get them down. then the top triple sandwiches them down too. VERY sturdy. nothing moves at all which is nice. except the front fender rubs a bit on the lower shrouds. ill have to trim that carefully since i dont have any paint left to touch it up with ha. shrouds would look awesome on that crazy thing

#210 ·
The only thing I didn't like about your bike was those red rim strips clashing with that bitching paint job and everything else I'm envious of all your work. Great build whicked bike

#213 ·
sweet new ohlins dark series damper thanks to some paint

and everything on the front end that was in black primer is now semi gloss black

#214 ·
got bored to i recycled some old bar ends into rear spool sliders. drilled out the hole, drilled a new countersink, and did some trimming. still need to get a bit of a longer bolt but it works for now

#217 ·
Oh and instead of getting longer bolts I drilled about half way through the bar ends and counter sunk the holes so now I have enough thread sticking out to make me comfortable (didn't really need it but i feel better about it now) and the head is sunk deep inside it so you can't see it

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.