Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Cleaning stainless with acid

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SEBSPEED 
#1 ·
I’ve read that using a phosphoric acid cleaner is amazing for cleaning stainless steel. However I’ve also read it will tarnish or even rust more readily as it strips the chromium layer unless it’s a braided to bring the layer back.

So how about it gents? Is there truth to the idea that using some Harpic will cause my headers to tarnish super fast? I did neutralize them in a baking soda solution after and then polished with metal polish.

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful work my man... never tried anything acidic... just used stainless cleaner and some .000 steel wool. The result you have obtained is better than anything I've seen. No wonder it will fuck up the metal faster. Just go figure eh?

#5 ·
According to what I’ve read now about passivating (thank you SEBSPEED!)
Steel wool can reintroduce oxides into the surface. They seem to generally recommend nitric acid solution soaks at elevated temps. I’m thinking it will be fine what I did.

Perhaps the hydrochloric acid is too aggressive? As SEB said I have also found mention that time is my friend in this and as luck would have it I’ve got about a month before I’m on the road with this build.

#3 ·
Google "stainless steel passivation" if you want to learn more details than I can type out for you here.

In short, yes, you can restore the layer of passivation either by letting them sit for some time in a clean environment, or by sanding or brushing them with scotch brite/sandpaper.

#4 ·
CORRECTION: it was hydrochloric acid (Harpic toilet cleaner).

I let it work for 10 minutes while I scrubbed with a green scotchbrite pad.

Hosed off then soaked in baking soda solution (4 lbs plus enough water to cover in a storage bin) for 5 minutes and again hosed off.

Polish was maybe 10-15 minutes more using a polish wheel on a drill or rag with metal polish.

Not my headers but the before was easily this bad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.